The Almond Tree by Michelle Cohen Corasanti

The Almond Tree (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Michelle Cohen Corasanti

Member:Teritree001971
Title:The Almond Tree
Authors:Michelle Cohen Corasanti
Info:Garnet Publishing (2012), Paperback, 352 pages
Rating:*****

The Almond Tree by Michelle Cohen Corasanti (2012)

English (127)  Romanian (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (129)
Recibí este libro gracias a Goodreads First Reads.

Corasanti ha logrado con este libro -y de manera espectacular, debo añadir- mostrarnos un mundo que generalmente se reserva a los hombres: el de los paises arabes en guerra.

Una de las historias más conmovedoras que he leído. En las primeras 08 paginas me hizo llorar por primera vez, asi de triste es. Pero tambien es totalmente hermoso. Trata de Ichmad, un joven palestino, que debe aprender a vivir con las consecuencias de sus actos -y en ese sentido me recordó un poco a [b:The Kite Runner|77203|The Kite Runner|Khaled Hosseini|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1309288316s/77203.jpg|3295919]- y que mientras lo hace aprenderá a perdonarse y a encontrar un amor que creía imposible de sentir luego de tanto dolor. Y trata del arbol de almendras, una señal de que pase lo que pase, siempre habrá esperanza.

Glire | Jul 7, 2014 |
"May the battles that we fight be for the advancement of humanity."

That's not a quote from The Almond Tree; it's the note from the author, Michelle Cohen Corasanti, that accompanied the copy of the book I received: a novel I don't think would garner so much attention, both positive and negative, if it wasn't important.

I understand Ichmad's relationship with science, his passion, from the way he uses it to solve everyday and practical problems to how it provides his active mind with something productive to do when his present circumstances would otherwise cripple his spirit, and that passion ultimately creates for him a much needed platform to speak on behalf of others, for humanity's sake.

I wouldn't get into a wrangle about the politics in the story. Considering the modest portion of knowledge I possess in that area, writing The Movement of Crowns Series is likely the closet I'll get to politics in this season of my life. However, reading of others' political views, even in a fiction work, has value.

Another thing I wouldn't do is say that this novel has the most sophisticated prose or plot and character development, but I think to look for that kind of "sophistication" in this book would be to miss the point. The story of The Almond Tree is told simply, often with the feel of a memoir, and its beauty is in that very simplicity. It's much like some of the cons I've heard about the film The Nativity Story, that the dialogue is "stiff" or what have you, but I'm pretty sure the filmmakers weren't trying to portray the characters as modern and Western, speaking as modern Westerners would. Keeping the dialogue simple helped to support the time, place, and culture of the film's story, in my opinion, and I think the simplicity in Corasanti's novel serves a similar purpose, giving the reader a sense of the narrative of a man who wasn't born and raised in the West, whose thoughts wouldn't be in English, and whose aim isn't to give us a "novel" but to tell us his life story in the way that he, a man of science, can best tell it for "the advancement of humanity."

If this book fuels the reader's consideration and compassion for humankind, as it has for me, then I believe it has done its job.
____________
I received a free copy of this book through Goodreads First Reads. ( )
  NadineC.Keels | Jun 19, 2014 |
The Almond Tree is a gripping novel about the not so black and white takeover of Palestine to become Israel. It is an eye-opening account (though fictional) of just what took place when Israel took over and how the Palestinians had land, business' and loved ones ripped away from them for no reason other than not being Israeli. Ichmad is a young boy of much promise whose family is torn apart when his father's orchards and home are taken from him to give to others for no reason at all. They are forced to live in a home that is too small for them but his father remains optimistic even after he is jailed for years without being charged. Now, his family lives in a tent and Ichmad and his brother must work for less pay then others because of their heritage in order to keep their mother and sister alive. As they grow Ichmad goes to school in hopes of improving his families lives while his brother grows dangerously bitter.
I loved this novel. Five out of five enthusiastic stars. ( )
  arhoads29 | Jun 8, 2014 |
What a moving story. So much wisdom is contained within the book's pages. Corasanti's deft ability in her word-painting made the book come to life. You feel the pain, frustration and joy of the characters. You smell the pungent spices, wafting tea and fetid factory smog. You see the landscapes and billowing smoke of the factory. This is a well-crafted and believable story with many life-lesson gems tucked within. Just could not put this book down!

Synopsis:
Gifted with a brilliant mind that has made a deep impression on the elders of his Palestinian village, Ahmed Hamid is nevertheless tormented by his inability to save his friends and family. Living under occupation, the inhabitants of the village harbour a constant fear of losing their homes, jobs, belongings – and each other.

On Ahmed’s twelfth birthday, that fear becomes a reality.

With his father now imprisoned, his family’s home and possessions confiscated and his siblings quickly succumbing to hatred in the face of conflict, Ahmed embarks on a journey to liberate his loved ones from their hardship, using his prodigious intellect. In so doing, he begins to reclaim a love for others that had been lost over the course of a childhood rife with violence, and discovers new hope for the future. ( )
  KateBaxter | Jun 1, 2014 |
Ichmad, a Palestinian,wanted to save the world and make it a better place. His journey took us from the war-torn 50's to the present day.
The author did alot of research in writing this book and I think, gives encouragement to many ( )
  lubazuck | Apr 30, 2014 |
"That which is hateful to you, do not unto another: This is the whole Torah. The rest is commentary - [and now] go study." Rabbi Hillel (30BC - 10AD), one of the greatest rabis of the Talmudic era.
To Sarah and Jon-Robert
To Joe who gave me the courage to embrace what I would have preferred to bury.To Joe who gave me the courage to embrace what I would have preferred to bury.
Mama always said Amal was mischievous.

In 2003, Khaled Hosseini’s novel The Kite Runner unveiled a moving and inspirational story set amongst the history of modern Afghanistan. The beautiful story of the love between fathers and sons permeated throughout the novel and helped readers better understand the history and people of Afghanistan. This fall, Michelle Cohen Corasanti’s stunning debut The Almond Tree (Garnet; October 16, 2012; Trade Paperback Original; $14.95) sheds new light on the Arabs in Israel. An insightful and inspiring novel, The Almond Tree recasts a culture frequently seen in the news but often misunderstood.

In a divided land where family sacrifices supersede individual dreams, The Almond Tree follows the life of a boy named Ichmad in a small rural village. Michelle Cohen Corasanti’s characters convey the spirit of a resilient culture through their actions, their relationships and, most convincingly, through Ichmad’s voice. From his overbearing mother to the death of a sibling, from the pressures of an inter-faith relationship to the fallout of discrimination, Ichmad confronts each challenge with remarkable strength and determination, whether it is political, religious or otherwise. Amidst a background of violence and poverty, this story of perseverance showcases the remarkable tenacity of the human spirit and offers a wholly original, inspirational tale that will remain with readers for years to come.

Cohen Corasanti’s novel brings humanity and clarity to the Arab-Israeli conflict, exploring themes of redemption, family sacrifice and the benefits of education and tolerance. Her personal experience of living in Israel for seven years while attending high school and obtaining her undergraduate degree in Middle Eastern studies from the Hebrew University lends the perspective, insight and ability to craft this story. The Almond Tree respectfully travels a controversial history and delivers an enriching experience that is a testament to the human spirit and a hope for peace.

A tale of two Palestinian brothers, one full of anger and hate, the other trying to build a bridge through scientific endeavour. Gifted with a mind that continues to impress the elders in his village, Ichmad Hamid struggles with knowing that he can do nothing to save his friends and family. Living on occupied land, his entire village operates in fear of losing their homes, jobs, and belongings. But more importantly, they fear losing each other. On Ichmad's twelfth birthday, that fear becomes reality. With his father imprisoned, his family s home and possessions confiscated, and his siblings quickly succumbing to hatred in the face of conflict, Ichmad begins an inspiring journey using his intellect to save his poor and dying family. In doing so he reclaims a love for others that was lost through a childhood rife with violence and loss, and discovers a new hope for the future.… (more)

Michelle Cohen Corasanti is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,251,872 books! | Top bar: Always visible