The Almond Tree by Michelle Cohen Corasanti

The Almond Tree (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Michelle Cohen Corasanti

31915034,767 (4.39)18
Member:needtoreadgottowatch
Title:The Almond Tree
Authors:Michelle Cohen Corasanti
Info:Garnet Publishing (2012), Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Would Buy Print Copy, Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****

The Almond Tree by Michelle Cohen Corasanti (2012)

I Shall Not Hate: A Gaza Doctor's Journey by Izzeldin Abuelaish (Anonymous user)
    The Drone Eats With Me by Atef Abu Saif (LibStre)
    LibStre: A Palestinian's perspective of the life-long, multi-generational, Arab-Israeli Conflict, with an emphasis on surviving due to pure luck, maintaining one's hope for the future, expressing universal wartime themes, and a lack of bitterness, despite life's tragedies. A life story that tugs at the heart strings.… (more)
    The Hunt for the Engineer: How Israeli Agents Tracked the Hamas Master Bomber by Samuel M. Katz (LibStre)
    LibStre: Seemingly minute decisions create long-term, adverse scenarios. Details the life of another gifted Palestinian student whose life path could have been the same as this one, but the story ended quite differently. A gripping read!

English (147)  Romanian (1)  Italian (1)  Norwegian (1)  All (150)
I definitely enjoyed reading this book, although it is filled with tragic, heartbreaking events. But at the same time it gives you a sense of hope for the future. One wouldn't think that possible. The only downside to the book is the political opinions/agenda the author has included - but it doesn't take away from the story. In fact, it might even be necessary.

I do recommend this book - for both men and women. It is definitely not one of those books written for just a female audience. How could it be when a landmine takes the life of a child in the first 5 pages? ( )
  lynnski723 | Dec 31, 2016 |
I received this book free from Goodreads First Read and am very pleased that I did.

I cannot praise this debut novel highly enough. The author who is herself Jewish has managed to tell the story of Ichmad and his Palestinian family in such a way as to make you believe that you are reading a true story.The book covers the years 1955-2010 without seeming rushed through though.

It starts with little Amal unknowingly wandering into a mine-field while chasing butterflies which has tragic consequences for the whole family as they come to terms with what has happened.

Do they take the line of revenge and bitterness espoused by the mother or peace and reconciliation taken by the father?

Ichmad is a brilliant mathematician but how can he study with no school and living in awful conditions in occupied land?

I wanted to know what would happen next while at the same time I didn't want it to finish.

If you only read one book about the conflict between Israel and the Palestinian people this is the one.

Northern_Light | Dec 20, 2016 |
I completely agree with reviews of The Almond Tree that compare it to The Kite Runner. The book is both the inspiring story of a young Palestinian boy's rise from a refugee camp to academic renown and an abbreviated history of the Israeli occupation of Palestine and the resulting human rights violations. Despite the ongoing conflict and tragic events that occur the book ends on an upbeat, profoundly positive note. The writing style is straightforward and, since there's no material in it that's age inappropriate, I'd recommend it for anyone including younger readers.

I received this book for free through the Goodreads First Read program. ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |
Recibí este libro gracias a Goodreads First Reads.

Corasanti ha logrado con este libro -y de manera espectacular, debo añadir- mostrarnos un mundo que generalmente se reserva a los hombres: el de los paises arabes en guerra.

Una de las historias más conmovedoras que he leído. En las primeras 08 paginas me hizo llorar por primera vez, asi de triste es. Pero tambien es totalmente hermoso. Trata de Ichmad, un joven palestino, que debe aprender a vivir con las consecuencias de sus actos -y en ese sentido me recordó un poco a [b:The Kite Runner|77203|The Kite Runner|Khaled Hosseini|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1309288316s/77203.jpg|3295919]- y que mientras lo hace aprenderá a perdonarse y a encontrar un amor que creía imposible de sentir luego de tanto dolor. Y trata del arbol de almendras, una señal de que pase lo que pase, siempre habrá esperanza.

Glire | Jun 22, 2016 |
I won this book as part of a Goodreads giveaway.

The book takes some time to get into. I picked it up from my reading stack several times in an attempt to get it read and reviewed. I would say you need to make it through the first 50 pages before it really begins to flow. The story hits you right in the face with a 2x4 but fails to grab you until you get farther into the book. I do think that Ichmad Hamid is a very believable character, but many of the others seemed flat in the story not much dimension.

One question I have is why Abbas anger did not also include the Arab who knocked him off the scaffolding. Everyone else seemed very supportive of the boys because they proved to be hard workers. Especially the foreman who was a Jew, he even raced him to the hospital.

Again, it would have been nice to see some depth given to the characters who did not have the intense hatred and why they chose to stick there necks out to side on the right thing to do.

This is the authors first novel and I believe she will grow as a writer. ( )
  yvonne.sevignykaiser | Apr 2, 2016 |
"That which is hateful to you, do not unto another: This is the whole Torah. The rest is commentary - [and now] go study." Rabbi Hillel (30BC - 10AD), one of the greatest rabis of the Talmudic era.
To Sarah and Jon-Robert
To Joe who gave me the courage to embrace what I would have preferred to bury.To Joe who gave me the courage to embrace what I would have preferred to bury.
Mama always said Amal was mischievous.

In 2003, Khaled Hosseini’s novel The Kite Runner unveiled a moving and inspirational story set amongst the history of modern Afghanistan. The beautiful story of the love between fathers and sons permeated throughout the novel and helped readers better understand the history and people of Afghanistan. This fall, Michelle Cohen Corasanti’s stunning debut The Almond Tree (Garnet; October 16, 2012; Trade Paperback Original; $14.95) sheds new light on the Arabs in Israel. An insightful and inspiring novel, The Almond Tree recasts a culture frequently seen in the news but often misunderstood.

In a divided land where family sacrifices supersede individual dreams, The Almond Tree follows the life of a boy named Ichmad in a small rural village. Michelle Cohen Corasanti’s characters convey the spirit of a resilient culture through their actions, their relationships and, most convincingly, through Ichmad’s voice. From his overbearing mother to the death of a sibling, from the pressures of an inter-faith relationship to the fallout of discrimination, Ichmad confronts each challenge with remarkable strength and determination, whether it is political, religious or otherwise. Amidst a background of violence and poverty, this story of perseverance showcases the remarkable tenacity of the human spirit and offers a wholly original, inspirational tale that will remain with readers for years to come.

Cohen Corasanti’s novel brings humanity and clarity to the Arab-Israeli conflict, exploring themes of redemption, family sacrifice and the benefits of education and tolerance. Her personal experience of living in Israel for seven years while attending high school and obtaining her undergraduate degree in Middle Eastern studies from the Hebrew University lends the perspective, insight and ability to craft this story. The Almond Tree respectfully travels a controversial history and delivers an enriching experience that is a testament to the human spirit and a hope for peace.

A tale of two Palestinian brothers, one full of anger and hate, the other trying to build a bridge through scientific endeavour. Gifted with a mind that continues to impress the elders in his village, Ichmad Hamid struggles with knowing that he can do nothing to save his friends and family. Living on occupied land, his entire village operates in fear of losing their homes, jobs, and belongings. But more importantly, they fear losing each other. On Ichmad's twelfth birthday, that fear becomes reality. With his father imprisoned, his family s home and possessions confiscated, and his siblings quickly succumbing to hatred in the face of conflict, Ichmad begins an inspiring journey using his intellect to save his poor and dying family. In doing so he reclaims a love for others that was lost through a childhood rife with violence and loss, and discovers a new hope for the future.… (more)

Michelle Cohen Corasanti is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,616,333 books! | Top bar: Always visible