First World Problems in an Age of Terrorism…

First World Problems in an Age of Terrorism and Ennui (edition 2012)

by Dominic Peloso

Member:jcrben
Title:First World Problems in an Age of Terrorism and Ennui
Authors:Dominic Peloso
Info:Invisible College Press, LLC (2012), Paperback, 280 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:fiction

First World Problems in an Age of Terrorism and Ennui by Dominic Peloso

This is a great book and well written. I enjoyed this story and I would recommend it to everyone to read it. ( )
  HeatherBennett32 | Mar 24, 2014 |
I read the title of this book and thought“Do I really have to read this?” It sounds incredibly boring, but I made a commitment to review it and so I started reading. I was so wrong!!
This book was very entertaining and I loved reading it. I know I saw a lot of myself in Tyler and I'm guessing many people identify with him. The author captured the feelings of someone who always feels on the outside of every group. We all know someone like every character in the book. This is a book I would recommend to my friends and one I know I will read again.

I received this book for free in exchange for providing an honest review. ( )
  lexiesmom | Sep 14, 2013 |
This is one of my new favourite books! Dominic Peloso brings us to the very cool, hipster-esque, counter-culture of Tyler's world. The story is of life in the moments leading up to 9/11, but rather than focus on the events of our world as we see it now, Peloso writes from what 'evil' was before that fateful day. Not only does the story entice the reader to draw you in to everything that makes this little anarchist, but the added details such as reference points of songs, t-shirts, and other cultural staples, add more to the book. Seriously, fantastic. ( )
1 vote kristincedar | Feb 19, 2013 |
When 9/11 happened I wondered how long it would be before someone would be able to write a thoughtful account of the era of terrorism without resorting to sensationalism, jingoism, or patriotism. This novel is about the world around the time of 9/11 (or the America of that time anyways), but the book itself isn't about the attack. The book is about bystanders. While most books focused on something like this involve actual participants in the event themselves, this isn't the typical experience of most people. Most people experienced 9/11 as just something they saw on tv, or were only affected by the slight inconvenience of a traffic jam. It was traumatic sure, but it wasn't a personal trauma. This book is for people like that: non-participants who feel that they should be doing something, but have no idea what to do except watch the world on tv. ( )
  superluminal23 | Nov 19, 2012 |
The biggest strength of this book is its narrator, the would-be anarchist, Tyler. Tyler's personal narrative, his interaction with the life that dissatisfies him so, is compelling in its palpable frustration and, probably for many, not wholly unrecognisable.
With bittersweet humour and familiarity, this a book that neatly covers the change in the world post 9/11 and will certainly strike a chord with the generations who grew up through it. ( )
  specialgueststar | Nov 9, 2012 |

Dominic Peloso is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

1 avail.1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,733,013 books! | Top bar: Always visible