Conjure (The Hoodoo Apprentice) by Lea Nolan

Conjure (The Hoodoo Apprentice) (edition 2012)

by Lea Nolan

Member:STACYatUFI
Title:Conjure (The Hoodoo Apprentice)
Authors:Lea Nolan
Info:Entangled Teen (2012), Paperback, 400 pages
Rating:***

Conjure (The Hoodoo Apprentice, #1) by Lea Nolan

As a blend of haunting magic and rich, realistic detail, Conjure is a book I'd recommend to anyone who enjoys YA fantasy, ghost stories, or mysteries. Between the beautifully engaging characters, the touches of humor and romance, and the horror spread around at various turns, this book is hard to put down and easy to visualize. I don't know when I last read a YA work that I enjoyed so much, and I can't wait to read the sequels. This one is going to remain a favorite, and I won't forget the characters any time soon.

Absolutely recommended. ( )
  whitewavedarling | Sep 30, 2016 |
NOTE: I received this book for review from Entangled Publishing.

I hoped that Conjure would turn out to be a book I love, and I wasn't wrong. It was a very unique read that got me engulfed from the very first page and kept me going on and on until I reached the end. And now I just want MORE!!! Can't wait for the second book to come out!!! It was so engrossing, I finished it in barely two days!

I loved the story, not only because it was unique, but also because it wasn't at all connected to voo-doo of any sort. It had to do with healing, while having faith in the Lord. Now that was something that came to me very unexpected, but I liked it! I don't think I would've loved the story had it been about the voo-doo type of practices.

Anyways, the story revolved around a couple of ancient curses, a girl and two guys who got in the middle of it all, and an old Gullah Grannie (hoo-doo doctor) who had the knowledge and power to help. There are no love triangles here, and that was something I really liked. (I'm tired of the love triangle concept, to be honest. Can't there be just one girl to one guy attractions anymore????) I really liked how the plot developed and escalated until the very end when it turned into a sucking-your-attention hurricane of emotions. Loved it, loved it, LOVED IT!!!

But, there were a couple of times when the characters seemed to act a bit unnatural and unrealistic, and that's why I just can't give it all those stars.

So, that leads us to the characters themselves. In this story, they aren't too many. Just over half a dozen I think.

*Emmaline was the POV character. She was brave and ready to risk her own life and happiness for the better of the people she loved and cared about. She even became a hoo-doo apprentice, fought demon dogs and a bunch of other things so she could save her brother and best friend. I liked how Emma grew from just an ordinary girl to this very devoted young woman.

*Jack, Emma's brother was such a brat almost all the time, I honestly wanted to take a stick and beat him with it. He annoyed the wits out of me with his stupid bratty attitude. He behaved like he was some king or something, and everyone else had to do his bidding. SO ANNOYING!!!! And no, what happened to him cannot soften my opinion at all. He totally deserved it.

*Connor, Jack and Emma's best friend, and Emma's unrequited love, was a real sweetheart. Though sometimes he was just waaaaaay too goody two shoes. I mean, seriously, who hesitates to do whatever is necessary when their life and their friend's life is at stake? Well, this guy did. And yeah, sometimes he had a point, but at others his attitude just annoyed me. Guys are supposed to have less scruples in such situations, aren't they?

*Maggie... well I think I knew who she was from the very beginning. I just couldn't make up my mind whether she's one of the good guys, or one of the bad.

*Miss Delia was such a clever, open-hearted grannie, I couldn't just not love her. You know what I mean. She gave everything she was capable of to help Emma and the boys, even when things seemed a little too out of line.

Well, if you want to know more about this novel, you're gonna have to check it out yourself. :) I totally recommend it, and I believe you won't be disappointed. ( )
  VanyaDrum | Jan 26, 2014 |
Conjure is the first book in The Hoodoo Apprentice series. I read the synopsis and thought that this sounded intriguing. I haven't read anything with Hoodoo magic, and I was pleasantly surprised when I finished reading this.

We have a brother and sister duo and Hoodoo and ancient curses. Emma, Jack and Cooper are planning on spending a fun summer in South Carolina. Boy, were they in for a surprise. After finding the bottle that not only contained a message but a terrible curse. A mysterious girl appears and somewhat helps them on their way. Their idea a of relaxing summer just hanging out turns out to be a whole lot more.

Emma and Jack are twins, but certainly have different personalities. Emma is just a sweet young girl, but she is also selfless and very brave when her brother needed her. She becomes the apprentice of a Hoodoo doctor, and learns everything that she can to help save her brother, but along the learns that is not the only person she is meant to save. When it came to saving the people she loved, she never gave up and showed an amazing fearlessness and I enjoyed watching her grow from just a sweet, quiet girl to a strong and more independent young woman.

Emma's brother was a whole different story. After meeting the mysterious girl, Maggie on the beach, he became a love sick fool for her, and was a jackass majority of the time toward Emma and treated her more like a little sister than his twin. I really didn't enjoy him very much. I know he had a flesh eating curse and all, but he wasn't really helpful when it came to helping his sister or his friend Cooper. Jack was a frustrating character for me, but I guess you can say they even each other out personality wise. Toward the end he came around a bit.

Emma's love interest, Cooper was down to earth, and really seem to care for Emma and their budding romance was sweet to watch unfold. I have to mention Maggie and Miss Delia. Maggie was one of those characters that really didn't figure out till the end whether she was good or not. But Miss Delia was the most fascinating character. She was older and set in her ways, but she couldn't have been any more patient with Emma.

The world building was intense, and scary at times, and the Hoodoo magic was interesting and quite engrossing. The pacing was enough to keep me wanting to know more, but not just to see what happens but to find out more about the Hoodoo culture. With revenge, romance and a twist at then end, Conjure take you on a adventure that will leave you wanting more. I look forward to reading Allure when it is releases. If you are looking for something is unique, and keeps you guessing, I would definitely recommend reading this. ( )
  jeneaw | Sep 30, 2013 |
Reviewed by Janessa, Age 15
What a spellbinding and unique story Lea Nolan has spun in this darkly adventurous book about a summer gone awry. I was hooked from page one and couldn’t put down the book. Definitely can’t wait for the next book in this series!
Read the full review at http://www.musingwithcrayolakym.com/3/post/2013/08/conjure-the-hoodoo-apprentice... ( )
1 vote crayolakym | Aug 4, 2013 |
I went into this book knowing next to nothing about Hoodoo or the Gullah. Learning about all of that is what makes this book so interesting. The moments with magic are fun to read and there is enough mystery to keep you turning pages to the very end.

The characters are kind of hit-or-miss. They are described as being younger than a lot of YA characters (14 and 15) but they really read like 16 or 17 year olds. I really liked Emma. She was the logical character that kept everyone calm and thought out the problems that needed to be solved. It was a good thing, too, since that was her main role in the plot: to solve Cooper and Jack's problems. I couldn't stand Jack. He was whiny, selfish, and lazy. If he wasn't Emma's twin I don't think there would be any reason for her to work so hard to try and save him. I really couldn't care less whether he got cured or not. Emma trying to learn the way to cure The Creep was the fun part. Cooper was just... Copper; a typical side-kick. Nothing too special about him, really. He just added a small bit of a romance element. (By the way, romance is a very, very small part in the plot.) In my opinion, the most special character was the Gullah "granny", Miss Delia. Her wit and wisdom added a lot to the story.

There were a lot of twists and turns and the mystery was written in a way that kept me guessing up until the end. I liked Lea Nolan's storytelling style quite a bit and I'll be looking forward to the release of the sequel, especially since she ended on a cliffhanger.

Oh, and I have to give Lea Nolan props: the dialogue, especially from Jack and Cooper, is some of the most realistic that I have ever read, especially considering the age group. Nothing that makes or breaks the story obviously, I was just impressed to see an author have such a firm understanding of the demographic she's writing.

If you're looking for a fun, adventurous, mystery or if you like stories with magic as a heavy theme, I definitely recommend giving Conjure a try. ( )
1 vote bryantkeli | Apr 3, 2013 |

When Emma Guthrie, her twin brother Jack, and best friend Cooper Beaumont discover hidden pirate treasure, they unleash a Gullah curse and Emma must learn hoodoo magic to save Jack and Cooper before the summer ends.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,494,505 books! | Top bar: Always visible