Conjure (The Hoodoo Apprentice) by Lea Nolan

Conjure (The Hoodoo Apprentice) (edition 2012)

by Lea Nolan

Member:STACYatUFI
Title:Conjure (The Hoodoo Apprentice)
Authors:Lea Nolan
Info:Entangled Teen (2012), Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Your library, Reviewed for Publisher/Authors
Rating:***

Conjure (The Hoodoo Apprentice) by Lea Nolan

Reviewed by Janessa, Age 15
What a spellbinding and unique story Lea Nolan has spun in this darkly adventurous book about a summer gone awry. I was hooked from page one and couldn’t put down the book. Definitely can’t wait for the next book in this series!
Read the full review at http://www.musingwithcrayolakym.com/3/post/2013/08/conjure-the-hoodoo-apprentice... ( )
  crayolakym | Aug 4, 2013 |
I went into this book knowing next to nothing about Hoodoo or the Gullah. Learning about all of that is what makes this book so interesting. The moments with magic are fun to read and there is enough mystery to keep you turning pages to the very end.

The characters are kind of hit-or-miss. They are described as being younger than a lot of YA characters (14 and 15) but they really read like 16 or 17 year olds. I really liked Emma. She was the logical character that kept everyone calm and thought out the problems that needed to be solved. It was a good thing, too, since that was her main role in the plot: to solve Cooper and Jack's problems. I couldn't stand Jack. He was whiny, selfish, and lazy. If he wasn't Emma's twin I don't think there would be any reason for her to work so hard to try and save him. I really couldn't care less whether he got cured or not. Emma trying to learn the way to cure The Creep was the fun part. Cooper was just... Copper; a typical side-kick. Nothing too special about him, really. He just added a small bit of a romance element. (By the way, romance is a very, very small part in the plot.) In my opinion, the most special character was the Gullah "granny", Miss Delia. Her wit and wisdom added a lot to the story.

There were a lot of twists and turns and the mystery was written in a way that kept me guessing up until the end. I liked Lea Nolan's storytelling style quite a bit and I'll be looking forward to the release of the sequel, especially since she ended on a cliffhanger.

Oh, and I have to give Lea Nolan props: the dialogue, especially from Jack and Cooper, is some of the most realistic that I have ever read, especially considering the age group. Nothing that makes or breaks the story obviously, I was just impressed to see an author have such a firm understanding of the demographic she's writing.

If you're looking for a fun, adventurous, mystery or if you like stories with magic as a heavy theme, I definitely recommend giving Conjure a try. ( )
  bryantkeli | Apr 3, 2013 |

bryantkeli | Mar 8, 2013 |
Conjure is a unique read that you won't want to miss. I'll admit the characters are a bit young for my tastes, but the leading character was not annoying. I still enjoyed this book immensely. The characters were well-developed and progressed along with the story, the plot was intriguing, and the pacing was perfect. This book will suck you in.

Emma was a terrific leading character. The book was told from first person POV, and I never got tired of hearing from Emma. She wa brave and selfless and everything a leading lady should be. I really enjoyed watching her grow over the course of the novel. Her twin Jack, however, was a jerk. I really didn't like him very much. He was extremely bratty and what I was afraid Emma would be like (with them both being 14). While Emma pleasantly surprised me, Jack pretty much fit the bill of what I expected. Luckily the book wasn't told from his POV. Cooper was a bit of a goody goody, if you ask me, but he was a decent guy. His "goodness" just got on my nerves. I know he will appeal to a lot of readers, though. The other two supporting characters, Maggie and Miss Delia, were also intriguing, and I enjoyed reading about them.

The plot was unique, and I liked the gritty details Nolan included about the Voodoo religion. I was kept guessing throughout the story, and I never got bored. The pacing was perfect, and the ending left me wanting more. There was action, adventure, and secret love. What else could a person want?

Overall, I'd recommend this book to anyone who is looking for something new in the YA genre, but doesn't mind younger leading characters. I'd say most YA readers will enjoy this one. ( )
  AmberFIB | Jan 8, 2013 |
CONJURE was a unique story about a girl whose brother is struck by an ancient curse and their journey to cure him. The story started a tad bit slow but picked up and stayed on a nice course a few chapters in. The characters were easy to like (or dislike in some cases). You tend to forget the Main character and her brother are only 14 at some times when they are thrust into situations that a normal 14 year old wouldn't be able to handle, then you turn around and feel that they are extremely immature at other times.

There is some very light romance in CONJURE. Emma has had a huge crush on Cooper for as long as she can remember and Jack crushes on a mysterious girl they meet on the beach before all their troubles start. The Hoodoo parts of the book was interesting. Ms. Delia's character was my favorite character of the book and I looked forward to the parts she was involved in.The premise of the curse was fascinating and the location of the story fit in perfectly. For the most part the situations were pretty easy to guess and not much was a surprise when it was revealed.

CONJURE is geared pretty low on the YA spectrum in my opinion and would be a great fit for the younger, Young adults. A neat little adventurous start to The Hoodoo Apprentice Series. ( )
  STACYatUFI | Nov 13, 2012 |

When Emma Guthrie, her twin brother Jack, and best friend Cooper Beaumont discover hidden pirate treasure, they unleash a Gullah curse and Emma must learn hoodoo magic to save Jack and Cooper before the summer ends.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,052,619 books! | Top bar: Always visible