SantaThing sign up ends in 7:19 hours (5:00 PM EST) » Find out more about our bookish Secret Santa!

Conjure (The Hoodoo Apprentice) by Lea Nolan

Conjure (The Hoodoo Apprentice) (edition 2012)

by Lea Nolan

Member:STACYatUFI
Title:Conjure (The Hoodoo Apprentice)
Authors:Lea Nolan
Info:Entangled Teen (2012), Paperback, 400 pages
Rating:***

Conjure (The Hoodoo Apprentice) by Lea Nolan

As a blend of haunting magic and rich, realistic detail, Conjure is a book I'd recommend to anyone who enjoys YA fantasy, ghost stories, or mysteries. Between the beautifully engaging characters, the touches of humor and romance, and the horror spread around at various turns, this book is hard to put down and easy to visualize. I don't know when I last read a YA work that I enjoyed so much, and I can't wait to read the sequels. This one is going to remain a favorite, and I won't forget the characters any time soon.

Absolutely recommended. ( )
  whitewavedarling | Sep 30, 2016 |
Reviewed by Janessa, Age 15
What a spellbinding and unique story Lea Nolan has spun in this darkly adventurous book about a summer gone awry. I was hooked from page one and couldn’t put down the book. Definitely can’t wait for the next book in this series!
Read the full review at http://www.musingwithcrayolakym.com/3/post/2013/08/conjure-the-hoodoo-apprentice... ( )
1 vote crayolakym | Aug 4, 2013 |
I went into this book knowing next to nothing about Hoodoo or the Gullah. Learning about all of that is what makes this book so interesting. The moments with magic are fun to read and there is enough mystery to keep you turning pages to the very end.

The characters are kind of hit-or-miss. They are described as being younger than a lot of YA characters (14 and 15) but they really read like 16 or 17 year olds. I really liked Emma. She was the logical character that kept everyone calm and thought out the problems that needed to be solved. It was a good thing, too, since that was her main role in the plot: to solve Cooper and Jack's problems. I couldn't stand Jack. He was whiny, selfish, and lazy. If he wasn't Emma's twin I don't think there would be any reason for her to work so hard to try and save him. I really couldn't care less whether he got cured or not. Emma trying to learn the way to cure The Creep was the fun part. Cooper was just... Copper; a typical side-kick. Nothing too special about him, really. He just added a small bit of a romance element. (By the way, romance is a very, very small part in the plot.) In my opinion, the most special character was the Gullah "granny", Miss Delia. Her wit and wisdom added a lot to the story.

There were a lot of twists and turns and the mystery was written in a way that kept me guessing up until the end. I liked Lea Nolan's storytelling style quite a bit and I'll be looking forward to the release of the sequel, especially since she ended on a cliffhanger.

Oh, and I have to give Lea Nolan props: the dialogue, especially from Jack and Cooper, is some of the most realistic that I have ever read, especially considering the age group. Nothing that makes or breaks the story obviously, I was just impressed to see an author have such a firm understanding of the demographic she's writing.

If you're looking for a fun, adventurous, mystery or if you like stories with magic as a heavy theme, I definitely recommend giving Conjure a try. ( )
1 vote bryantkeli | Apr 3, 2013 |

1 vote bryantkeli | Mar 8, 2013 |
Conjure is a unique read that you won't want to miss. I'll admit the characters are a bit young for my tastes, but the leading character was not annoying. I still enjoyed this book immensely. The characters were well-developed and progressed along with the story, the plot was intriguing, and the pacing was perfect. This book will suck you in.

Emma was a terrific leading character. The book was told from first person POV, and I never got tired of hearing from Emma. She wa brave and selfless and everything a leading lady should be. I really enjoyed watching her grow over the course of the novel. Her twin Jack, however, was a jerk. I really didn't like him very much. He was extremely bratty and what I was afraid Emma would be like (with them both being 14). While Emma pleasantly surprised me, Jack pretty much fit the bill of what I expected. Luckily the book wasn't told from his POV. Cooper was a bit of a goody goody, if you ask me, but he was a decent guy. His "goodness" just got on my nerves. I know he will appeal to a lot of readers, though. The other two supporting characters, Maggie and Miss Delia, were also intriguing, and I enjoyed reading about them.

The plot was unique, and I liked the gritty details Nolan included about the Voodoo religion. I was kept guessing throughout the story, and I never got bored. The pacing was perfect, and the ending left me wanting more. There was action, adventure, and secret love. What else could a person want?

Overall, I'd recommend this book to anyone who is looking for something new in the YA genre, but doesn't mind younger leading characters. I'd say most YA readers will enjoy this one. ( )
  AmberFIB | Jan 8, 2013 |

When Emma Guthrie, her twin brother Jack, and best friend Cooper Beaumont discover hidden pirate treasure, they unleash a Gullah curse and Emma must learn hoodoo magic to save Jack and Cooper before the summer ends.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,644,199 books! | Top bar: Always visible