Turning Pages by Tristi Pinkston

Turning Pages (edition 2012)

by Tristi Pinkston

Member:whitreidtan
Title:Turning Pages
Authors:Tristi Pinkston
Info:Walnut Springs Press. (2012), Paperback, 240 pages
Rating:***1/2

Turning Pages by Tristi Pinkston

Review also published on my blog: AWordsWorth.blogspot.com
Book received from author for review.

How do I love thee, let me count the ways ...
... You're about a girl who's going to school to be a librarian, and works in a library.
... You're a nod to my beloved Pride & Prejudice.
... You made me laugh out loud, garnering odd stares from the cat.

Seriously though, Turning Pages was a delight to read. Addie Preston is a girl after my own heart, working her way through Library School while also working to navigate life and its pitfalls. Her library is engraved deeply on her heart, in large part because it was a special place for she and her father -- whose death is still shockingly raw and new to the family. All the characters are written in the same, colorful, realistic style -- and Blake Hansen, the big city hotshot who sweeps in and steals Addi's promotion, is one amazing incarnation of our all-time favorite Darcy. The chemistry and dynamics between Addie and Blake (and the rest of the cast as well, for that matter) is fun and lively, and I really did laugh out loud at times.

With many nods to Austen's classic, you can imagine how the story will play out -- but there are shifts, and changes. Adaptations that bring the story into contemporary America, but add to the overall story experience rather than detract from the original idea. Honestly, the best way I can describe this is as a fun, breezy read that manages to handle some heavy heart-matters with a light - but effective - touch. A thoroughly enjoyable read, and I find myself wishing for more. ( )
  RivkaBelle | Mar 9, 2013 |
Pride and Prejudice is my favorite book ever. And I am a complete and total sucker for sequels, re-writings, and modernizations of it too. So although I don't generally read YA literature, I couldn't resist the chance to read Tristi Pinkston's Turning Pages, which updates and uses Pride and Prejudice as a loose framework, setting it in a library. Pride and Prejudice set amongst books? Be still my beating heart.

Addie Preston has been working her way through community college with the ultimate goal of becoming a librarian but after the unexpected death of her father in a car accident, she is mainly focused on her part time job at the local library and trying to hold her family together. An assistant librarian position is shortly opening up and Addie has been all but promised the promotion. So she's shocked when the arrogant and superior Blake Hansen is brought on board into that position instead of her. He doesn't even have a library science degree at all; he's got a business degree. Addie dislikes him even before she finds out he's been given what she's come to think of as her job. When his presence is explained by the need to raise funds to replace the old library with a new, state of the art building, Addie is almost completely destroyed, vowing that she'll save the venerable old building despite its limitations as a library.

Addie's life has taken quite a few hits and she faces more losses as she fosters and feeds the continuing tension between Blake and herself. Her step-mother is still paralysed with grief over the accident that took Addie's father leaving Addie to try and hold the family together. Meanwhile, Addie continues to harbour an unrequited crush on her best friend's older brother, a guy who looks at Addie as nothing more than a sweet kid on whom he can always rely, even if that reliance gives her the wrong idea and ultimately ends up hurting her. The plans to replace the library just add to her unhappiness as the old building holds countless memories of her father for her. Add to that the news that there's no choice but to also sell her childhood home and to move into something smaller and more affordable and the fact that Addie cannot give an inch with Blake, allowing her to see that he is in fact a good guy, is not surprising.

This is not a simple retelling of Pride and Prejudice as the plot and character situations veer quite far afield from the original plot. Addie is much more adrift than Lizzie Bennet ever was although she is quite as quick to jump to conclusions as her predecessor. Blake is engaged to a rather nice woman who is just a tad too perfect and although Addie suggests at one point that she is Caroline Bingley, there really isn't much of a similarity at all. And the tension between Addie and Blake is almost entirely one sided with the bulk of the animosity coming from Addie. There are definite sparks between the characters throughout the story but the ending is wrapped up too abruptly even if there was never a doubt about the outcome. Addie often seems younger than her years, perhaps because of her goofy quirks, like forever locking her keys in the car, but Blake comes off as younger than he is as well so they are well-suited. Overall, this is a cute, sweet, very clean YA tale and I definitely plan to pass mine along to my young teen because I think she'll like it a lot. ( )
  whitreidtan | Dec 9, 2012 |

With his pride and her prejudice, what could possibly go wrong?

When the arrogant Blake Hansen steals Addie Preston's promotion at the library, he pretty much rubs her nose in it. But Addie, who dreams of being a full-fledged librarian, decides to stick it out. She loves surrounding herself with books and keeping her father's memory alive in the building where they spent so much time together.

Soon, Addie learns that her beloved library will be torn down to make room for a larger facility, and she has to make a choice. Fight, or let go?

To complicate things, she finds herself attracted to Blake, who is engaged to someone else. Will Blake and Addie ever resolve their differences?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:23 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,888,422 books! | Top bar: Always visible