The Goddess of Dance by Anna Kashina

The Goddess of Dance (edition 2012)

by Anna Kashina

Member:bug_girl
Title:The Goddess of Dance
Authors:Anna Kashina
Info:Dragonwell Publishing (2012), Hardcover, 334 pages
Rating:*
Tags:trigger warning, djinn, magic, early reviewer

The Goddess of Dance by Anna Kashina

Throne of the Crescent Moon by Saladin Ahmed (saltypepper)
    saltypepper: If you want a fantasy novel that takes place in a middle eastern setting and is heavily influenced by the Arabian Nights stories, but without the rape and whitewashing, then Saladin Ahmed's book fits the bill.

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I hadn't prepared myself for `the `end' but the Goddess of Dance does end well. I can see room for a third book but can't find any info as to if there will be one.

I received this book in exchange for a review, and on finally opening it (I'm a little new to ebooks) I realized it was a sequel. So I purchased the first book and was not disappointed.

Goddess of Dance surprised me a little.

First, not exactly in a positive way. It seems everything the princess has accomplished in the first book is wiped away and she's back to square one. How unfair! she might scream, and I felt the same. Are we going to repeat the same issues? In a way, yes. But also, no. The princess has to overcome some of the difficulties entirely by herself, with no way for Hasan to help her. And she's not entirely smart about it... but that's actually quite believable.

Second, it's not about saving the world. That is, I expected the issues in the book to be on a large scale, and it was actually all delightfully contained to the main plot -- the romance they have to work for. We learn that the one who frees a djinn might have the power to destroy the world, and there are some mysterious forces seeking to undo the princess or Hasan (or both) in order to destroy or contain the princess, but the author doesn't ruin the perfect little bubble of sweet storyline, choosing instead to focus on the two main characters. We get a few more characters, actually, in this second book, and they were a bit shallow, yet this is unimportant.

I feel some things were left unfinished, but all in all I enjoyed the Goddess of the Dance and recommend it.

The only thing I would warn about is that this book seems perfect for the YA/teen audience, but there is some content that was more 'adult'.

(Read as an ebook on an iPad.) ( )
  Ignolopi | May 13, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This reads like a young adult book, with a simplistic writing style, and dialogue better suited to a teenager than to some of the actual adult characters. On the other hand, the group rape scene makes it seem inappropriate for younger readers, and also a little creepy. I couldn't get past the sense of "same old, same old" about a story of a princess who wants to marry someone "unsuitable". I've read worse-the technical problems could easily be polished away-but I've read a lot better. ( )
  Onionspark | Mar 27, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Goddess of the Dance is a take on the Aladdin tale from the viewpoint of a young woman. While it seems to be aimed at the YA audience, it is a fine reading for adults as well. The characters are fully drawn, the exotic ambiance is solidly grounded and the magic seems perfectly plausible ( )
  fredvandoren | Mar 26, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I got this book through Early Reviewers and like some of the other reviewers was unaware at first that the book was the second in a trilogy. After reading the first few pages, I realised that there must have been a previous book and had a look on Amazon. I then purchased the first book in the series, The Princess of Dhagabad, and read it first. The second book, Goddess of Dance, makes much more sense when you have read the first. It took me a little while to get into the story but once I had read a few chapters I started to enjoy the story more. It is an interesting take on the djinn story and I especially enjoyed the story of Thea which unfolded through the second book. If you are looking for a fantasy which is a bit different from the usual settings, then I would recommend having a read of this series. It will be interesting to see how the third book in the trilogy develops the story. ( )
  avellana | Mar 13, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is the second book in the series. I have not read the first book so certain things were a little unclear, especially some of the history of the characters.
This is the story of a princess, Gul'Agdar, and her freed djinn Hasan. The princess has to overcome a number of trials and tests to come into her own power. At the same time Hasan is trying to figure out how to avoid a prophecy that involves the princess and him. Other djinns, princes, priestesses and wizards either help or hinder the two on their individual quests.
I found the book difficult to get into. It was disjointed and jumped from place to place. The characters were not very well developed. Overall an alright read, may have been better if I had read the first book (but after reading this book I have no desire to read the first book). ( )
  Shoosty | Feb 12, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0983832021, Paperback)

"Evocative"Publishers Weekly

"Enthralling"RT Book Reviews

“A rich treasure trove of imagery, color, romance, intrigue, and mystery”ForeWord Reviews

When Princess Gul'Agdar of Dhagabad begins studying the ancient magic of the Sacred Dance, she has no idea that this seemingly innocent act is the first step on the treacherous path to immortality, absolute power-and slavery. And her father, the sultan, is intent on forcing her into an arranged marriage, not knowing that leaving the palace would expose her to the very danger she must flee. Even her beloved Hasan cannot save her this time, as his enemies lure him into the mysterious True Library, destined to trap all-powerful wizards in a magical desert beyond this world.

A romantic fantasy adventure with the exotic flavor of the Arabian Nights, THE GODDESS OF DANCE explores a truly original concept of djinns, absolute power, and immortality.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:44 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Goddess of Dance by Anna Kashina was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,963,311 books! | Top bar: Always visible