Unspoken: A Story From the Underground…

Unspoken: A Story From the Underground Railroad (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Henry Cole

Member:cleoppa
Title:Unspoken: A Story From the Underground Railroad
Authors:Henry Cole
Info:Scholastic Press (2012), Hardcover, 40 pages
Collections:Read
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Read November 2012

Unspoken: A Story From the Underground Railroad by Henry Cole (2012)

This book was absolutely wonderful, and so powerful! I loved the illustrations. Henry Cole is an amazing artist. For anyone who is looking for a great book about the Underground Railroad! ( )
  butterfly58 | Jun 4, 2016 |
I am delighted to have an alternative format for sharing this period of war, the fight to end slavery, and the Underground Railroad. This book would be a wonderful addition to any related unit of study, and nicely demonstrates inference as a reading strategy.

The publisher’s website offers lesson Plans for teachers; while this book doesn’t have a standalone lesson plan, I did a quick search and found 58 lessons related to Underground Railroad (http://www.scholastic.com/teachers/lesson-plans/free-lesson-plans/search?query=u...). PBS offers a timeline of activities and videos (http://www.pbs.org/wnet/slavery/timeline/index.html), WatchKnowLearn.org videos are definitely worth checking out (http://www.watchknowlearn.org/Category.aspx?CategoryID=3728), and Mr. Donn’s history site offers some great lesson plans and activities (http://americanhistory.mrdonn.org/undergroundrailroad.html), and the Social Studies Research and Practice site (http://www.socstrpr.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/MS-06581-Farell-Stover.pdf) offers a complete lesson plan including extension activities, references, and web links.

As an alternative approach to sharing this book, check out Henry Cole Reads Unspoken (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voL_dToHjUU). While I would approach “reading” this book differently, Cole has a deep, calm timber to his voice that is quite pleasant to listen to. ( )
  frozenteacher | Apr 16, 2016 |
I am in love with this wordless picture book. It is thoughtful and moving to readers and about bravery and strength. The first reason I love this story is the reason why is it titled unspoken. While I understood the story, I knew that author's note would be important. Cole writes, "I wanted to make this a wordless picture book. The two main characters in the story are both brave, have a strong bond, ad communicate with great depth. Yet, both are silent. They speak without words." The simple choice of making the book wordless gives it so much meaning and is truly captivates the reader. The second reason I love this story is the illustrations. Through pencil drawings, the feelings of the young girl are portrayed in way that engages the reader. And the illustrative choice to not ever show the runaway slave, makes the bond so much more strong and apparent. A reader only ever sees on eye of the slave, but through the events, the reader knows there is unbreakable bond between the young girl and the slave. ( )
  edudle2 | Mar 31, 2016 |
This is one of the most beautiful books I have ever seen. It has no words but tells a very powerful story. This historical book was illustrated with charcoal and is all in black and white but matches the mood of what the story is trying to tell. ( )
  CrystalBrooks | Mar 22, 2016 |
I enjoyed the illustrations in this book a lot. The lines show lots of movement and the reader can clearly understand the plot of the story. I think this book would be great to "read" aloud to a class or small group to build comprehension. There is an author's note that also helps readers understand the historical context of the story and why the author chose to tell this story. ( )
  LauraCMiller15 | Mar 13, 2016 |
To a librarian friend, who long ago ignited the spark that lit the lantern.
--H.C.
(wordless)
Author's Note:When I was very little, I sat at the dining room table during Christmas and Thanksgiving dinners, and listened to elderly relatives tell Civil War stories - stories they had heard directly from people who had lived during the war!

A young girl's courage is tested in this haunting, wordless story.

When a farm girl discovers a runaway slave
hiding in the barn, she is at once
startled and frightened.

But the stranger's fearful eyes
weigh upon her conscience,
and she must make a difficult choice.
Will she have the courage to help him?

Unspoken gifts of humanity unite the girl
and the runaway as they each face a journey:
one following the North Star,
the other following her heart.

Henry Cole's unusual and original rendering
of the Underground Railroad
speaks directly to our deepest sense
of compassion.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:57 -0400)

In this wordless picture book, a young Southern farm girl discovers a runaway slave hiding behind the corn crib in the barn and decides to help him.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,740,689 books! | Top bar: Always visible