Unspoken: A Story From the Underground…

Unspoken: A Story From the Underground Railroad (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Henry Cole

Title:Unspoken: A Story From the Underground Railroad
Authors:Henry Cole
Info:Scholastic Press (2012), Hardcover, 40 pages
Tags:Read November 2012

Unspoken: A Story From the Underground Railroad by Henry Cole (2012)

This story held more secrets than many adult books put together. I felt the weight of her terrifying courage with every turn of the page.
  kali.joy | Sep 6, 2015 |
This wordless picture book explains the bond between a young girl and an escapee slave during the Civil War. Their story is related through gestures of kindness, and the viewer is left to interpret everything that is unspoken.
  emifoltz | Aug 13, 2015 |
This story tells the adventures of a young girl that is growing up as the Civil War is happening around her. There are wanted men and women who are trying to escape slavery around the area and troops passing through looking for them. The little girl works to take them food and provide shelter as they pass from the South into the North.
  Shilonwheeler | Aug 11, 2015 |
Summary: Story about a young girls troubles on the Underground Railroad.

My reaction: I enjoyed reading this book, it was very powerful and touching. My favorite part is when the strangers helped her. it shows good character.

1.) great Read during Black history month
2.) read other books with involving the underground railroad. draw some maps.
  Shelbymac2 | Jul 16, 2015 |
This is a very powerful, wordless, book about a young child who helps a person from the underground railroad. He is hiding in the corn rows and she realizes he is there and begins to feed the man. The sheriffs come asking and offering a reward for the capture of this person and the little girl does not give him up. She is rewarded from the person with a doll at the end of the book.

I LOVED this book. It really shows the passion some people, especially children, can have for other people. Books like this, even wordless, melt my heart. I love to see and hear about good deeds being done.

Classroom ideas would be to encourage the class to do something good for one another then to tell about it. They could write a small paragraph telling what they did and how the person reacted. ( )
  charli87 | Jul 15, 2015 |
To a librarian friend, who long ago ignited the spark that lit the lantern.
Author's Note:When I was very little, I sat at the dining room table during Christmas and Thanksgiving dinners, and listened to elderly relatives tell Civil War stories - stories they had heard directly from people who had lived during the war!

A young girl's courage is tested in this haunting, wordless story.

When a farm girl discovers a runaway slave
hiding in the barn, she is at once
startled and frightened.

But the stranger's fearful eyes
weigh upon her conscience,
and she must make a difficult choice.
Will she have the courage to help him?

Unspoken gifts of humanity unite the girl
and the runaway as they each face a journey:
one following the North Star,
the other following her heart.

Henry Cole's unusual and original rendering
of the Underground Railroad
speaks directly to our deepest sense
of compassion.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:57 -0400)

In this wordless picture book, a young Southern farm girl discovers a runaway slave hiding behind the corn crib in the barn and decides to help him.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,887,910 books! | Top bar: Always visible