Unspoken: A Story From the Underground…

Unspoken: A Story From the Underground Railroad (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Henry Cole

Member:cleoppa
Title:Unspoken: A Story From the Underground Railroad
Authors:Henry Cole
Info:Scholastic Press (2012), Hardcover, 40 pages
Collections:Read
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Read November 2012

Unspoken: A Story From the Underground Railroad by Henry Cole (2012)

This is a historical fiction wordless picture book about a young girl who finds a runaway slave in her barn. Instead of reporting the slave to authorities, the young girl brings the man food. Readers must look closely at the elaborate sketch drawings and make inferences about what is happening in this story.

Teaching Connections: making inferences, making predictions, summarizing, writing the words for the story, historical study of the Civil War era ( )
  EmmaNicolazzo | Dec 15, 2016 |
During a dark time in United States history, a young girl discovers a escapee slave hiding out in her chicken coop. Unsure what to do or who, if anyone to tell, she begins helping the slave survive bringing he/she pie, biscuits, chicken, and bread. As confederates try to hunt down the escaped slave the girl worries that her hidden friend will be captured. Finding just a corn husk doll in the corn, she knows her friend escaped and continues to travel to freedom. This book is a great historical connection to this time period. I used this book to teach character traits and feelings. The little girl has such apparent character traits and feelings throughout the story without any words spoken. ( )
  Kelleighk1 | Dec 6, 2016 |
I really, really, really liked the illustrations in this book. There is no text so the illustrations are that much more important. The story is kind of what you want to make of it. What I saw was a tale of little girl who helped an escaped slave stay hidden by not revealing their location as a search party was in the area. A simple story but give some much to build off of in the way of conversation with children. ( )
  nicholekoch | Dec 2, 2016 |
This is a great book. The main character is very easy to relate to but her courage is something that I as a reader don't think I could ever have. I think this would be a great book for a child because it shows that you are capable of anything if you put your mind to it. ( )
  chelseagarland | Dec 2, 2016 |
This reminds me a lot of Huckleberry Finn. The main character is forced to decide if what she is doing is okay or not. It really forces you to think about if we are conditioned to be thinking a certain way. In this case, she knows what the right choice is, but also knows what society would want her to do. ( )
  zcurlach | Nov 15, 2016 |
To a librarian friend, who long ago ignited the spark that lit the lantern.
--H.C.
(wordless)
Author's Note:When I was very little, I sat at the dining room table during Christmas and Thanksgiving dinners, and listened to elderly relatives tell Civil War stories - stories they had heard directly from people who had lived during the war!

A young girl's courage is tested in this haunting, wordless story.

When a farm girl discovers a runaway slave
hiding in the barn, she is at once
startled and frightened.

But the stranger's fearful eyes
weigh upon her conscience,
and she must make a difficult choice.
Will she have the courage to help him?

Unspoken gifts of humanity unite the girl
and the runaway as they each face a journey:
one following the North Star,
the other following her heart.

Henry Cole's unusual and original rendering
of the Underground Railroad
speaks directly to our deepest sense
of compassion.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:57 -0400)

In this wordless picture book, a young Southern farm girl discovers a runaway slave hiding behind the corn crib in the barn and decides to help him.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,654,811 books! | Top bar: Always visible