Have You Seen Marie? by Sandra Cisneros

Have You Seen Marie? (edition 2012)

by Sandra Cisneros, Ester Hernandez (Illustrator)

Member:Carmenere
Title:Have You Seen Marie?
Authors:Sandra Cisneros
Other authors:Ester Hernandez (Illustrator)
Info:Knopf (2012), Hardcover, 112 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:library

Have You Seen Marie? by Sandra Cisneros

Several months after Sandra Cisneros' mother died, Sandra Cisnero decided she needed to bring herself back from the empty feelings of loss and grief ( " I was fifty-three years old and felt like an orphan") and create a lyrical memorial to her mother and to the people who live in her neighborhood in San Antonio.
Although HAVE YOU SEEN MARIE? was written for adults, it has a childlike simplicity and grace. Illustrated by Ester Hernandez, the basic story is about looking for a lost cat in Cisneros' neighborhood in San Antonio. But, the underlying message is that even when we are in deep mourning for those who have died, even if we feel a part of ourselves has also died, love cannot die. ( )
  maryhollis | Feb 20, 2017 |
Just read this again and appreciated it even more the second time. A sweet little fable about dealing with grief after the death of a family member. Beautiful illustrations by Chicana artist Esther Hernandez. ( )
  jalbacutler | Jan 10, 2017 |
Such a charming fable. I hope I remember the lessons when I lose someone I love. I really like that the neighbors and neighborhood, and cats, were drawn from life. And yes, though this is distinctly a book for adults, kids (as young as 4?) could benefit from it too. Maybe they'd experience the book on different levels or in different ways - but that's ok... this is art, and interpretation of art is up to the viewer/reader. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
While I was shelving books at the library where I work, I stumbled across the pretty purple cover of this book. I had to open it and flip through. I was hooked when I saw the bright colorful illustrations and very curious as to what this book was about. I didn't read the inside flap to find out about the book, instead I just started reading. What a wonderful story! I was surprised to see how the characters start off searching for a lost cat and end up exploring the neighborhood, meeting new neighbors and examing the meaning ways we lose things, love, relationships and hope. The ending was perfect. The illustrations added to the story in great detail. I would recommend this book for anyone dealing with grief and loss and looking for healing. ( )
  Erika.D | Jan 28, 2016 |
This is an illustrated short story for adults. A woman is grieving over the death of her mother when her cat goes missing. Through searching for him, she reconnects with her neighbors. She also realizes how valuable human connections are in this adventure called life. The story ends on a happy note. ( )
  bschaffer | Feb 27, 2014 |

The internationally acclaimed author of The House on Mango Street gives us a deeply moving tale of loss, grief, and healing: a lyrically told, richly illustrated fable for grown-ups about a woman’s search for a cat who goes missing in the wake of her mother’s death.

The word “orphan” might not seem to apply to a fifty-three-year-old woman. Yet this is exactly how Sandra feels as she finds herself motherless, alone like “a glove left behind at the bus station.” What just might save her is her search for someone else gone missing: Marie, the black-and-white cat of her friend, Roz, who ran off the day they arrived from Tacoma. As Sandra and Roz scour the streets of San Antonio, posting flyers and asking everywhere, “Have you seen Marie?” the pursuit of this one small creature takes on unexpected urgency and meaning. With full-color illustrations that bring this transformative quest to vivid life, Have You Seen Marie? showcases a beloved author’s storytelling magic, in a tale that reminds us how love, even when it goes astray, does not stay lost forever.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:42 -0400)

"The word "orphan" might not seem to apply to a fifty-three-year-old woman. Yet this is exactly how Sandra feels as she finds herself motherless, alone like "a glove left behind at the bus station." What just might save her is her search for someone else gone missing: Marie, the black-and-white cat of her friend, Roz, who ran off the day they arrived from Tacoma. As Sandra and Roz scour the streets of San Antonio, posting flyers and asking everywhere, "Have you seen Marie?" the pursuit of this one small creature takes on unexpected urgency and meaning."--Dust jacket.… (more)

10 wanted2 pay1 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,387,679 books! | Top bar: Always visible