Have You Seen Marie? by Sandra Cisneros

Have You Seen Marie? (edition 2012)

by Sandra Cisneros, Ester Hernandez (Illustrator)

Member:bostonbibliophile
Title:Have You Seen Marie?
Authors:Sandra Cisneros
Other authors:Ester Hernandez (Illustrator)
Info:Knopf (2012), Hardcover, 112 pages
Tags:cats, Marie

Have You Seen Marie? by Sandra Cisneros

Such a charming fable. I hope I remember the lessons when I lose someone I love. I really like that the neighbors and neighborhood, and cats, were drawn from life. And yes, though this is distinctly a book for adults, kids (as young as 4?) could benefit from it too. Maybe they'd experience the book on different levels or in different ways - but that's ok... this is art, and interpretation of art is up to the viewer/reader. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
While I was shelving books at the library where I work, I stumbled across the pretty purple cover of this book. I had to open it and flip through. I was hooked when I saw the bright colorful illustrations and very curious as to what this book was about. I didn't read the inside flap to find out about the book, instead I just started reading. What a wonderful story! I was surprised to see how the characters start off searching for a lost cat and end up exploring the neighborhood, meeting new neighbors and examing the meaning ways we lose things, love, relationships and hope. The ending was perfect. The illustrations added to the story in great detail. I would recommend this book for anyone dealing with grief and loss and looking for healing. ( )
  Erika.D | Jan 28, 2016 |
This is an illustrated short story for adults. A woman is grieving over the death of her mother when her cat goes missing. Through searching for him, she reconnects with her neighbors. She also realizes how valuable human connections are in this adventure called life. The story ends on a happy note. ( )
  bschaffer | Feb 27, 2014 |
At I thought this was a kids book. It is about a missing cat named Marie. This novel in verse and prose recounts a woman's grief after the loss of her mother. Compounding the sadness is tuxedo cat Marie who has run away. This autobiographical story reminded me of Seedfolks by Fleishman. As Sandra and Roz look for Marie you learn about all the people in their neighborhood and sometimes what these people have lost as well. I enjoyed the illustrations and thought about adults as orphans and the concept of being alone. ( )
  SparklePonies | Feb 10, 2014 |
This is a very short story by an author I have come to appreciate over the years. It seems that lately I have been reading quite a few books about dealing with grief and loss over a parent (e.g. [b:A Monster Calls|8621462|A Monster Calls|Patrick Ness|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1331787035s/8621462.jpg|13492114] and [b:Under the Mesquite|8423931|Under the Mesquite|Guadalupe Garcia McCall|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1345513277s/8423931.jpg|6646228] ). This book looks at the death of a parent from the point of view of an adult child. I found this book inspiring and uplifting. Upon finishing, I immediately called my mom and texted my dad. How can a book that deals with grief over loss be inspiring? It inspired me to reach out to the people who I love and may not have in my life for many years to come.

The story is also about community. It is about a woman who has previously removed herself from her neighbors and purposely not interacted with them but is forced to reach out and be a part of the community if she is going to find her missing pet.

Have you seen Marie? is a short story, but worth the read.
[b:A Monster Calls|8621462|A Monster Calls|Patrick Ness|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1331787035s/8621462.jpg|13492114] and [b:Under the Mesquite|8423931|Under the Mesquite|Guadalupe Garcia McCall|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1345513277s/8423931.jpg|6646228] ( )
  ReginaR | Aug 3, 2013 |

The internationally acclaimed author of The House on Mango Street gives us a deeply moving tale of loss, grief, and healing: a lyrically told, richly illustrated fable for grown-ups about a woman’s search for a cat who goes missing in the wake of her mother’s death.

The word “orphan” might not seem to apply to a fifty-three-year-old woman. Yet this is exactly how Sandra feels as she finds herself motherless, alone like “a glove left behind at the bus station.” What just might save her is her search for someone else gone missing: Marie, the black-and-white cat of her friend, Roz, who ran off the day they arrived from Tacoma. As Sandra and Roz scour the streets of San Antonio, posting flyers and asking everywhere, “Have you seen Marie?” the pursuit of this one small creature takes on unexpected urgency and meaning. With full-color illustrations that bring this transformative quest to vivid life, Have You Seen Marie? showcases a beloved author’s storytelling magic, in a tale that reminds us how love, even when it goes astray, does not stay lost forever.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:42 -0400)

"The word "orphan" might not seem to apply to a fifty-three-year-old woman. Yet this is exactly how Sandra feels as she finds herself motherless, alone like "a glove left behind at the bus station." What just might save her is her search for someone else gone missing: Marie, the black-and-white cat of her friend, Roz, who ran off the day they arrived from Tacoma. As Sandra and Roz scour the streets of San Antonio, posting flyers and asking everywhere, "Have you seen Marie?" the pursuit of this one small creature takes on unexpected urgency and meaning."--Dust jacket.… (more)

13 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,725,228 books! | Top bar: Always visible