Have You Seen Marie? by Sandra Cisneros

Have You Seen Marie? (edition 2012)

by Sandra Cisneros, Ester Hernandez (Illustrator)

Member:bostonbibliophile
Title:Have You Seen Marie?
Authors:Sandra Cisneros
Other authors:Ester Hernandez (Illustrator)
Info:Knopf (2012), Hardcover, 112 pages
Tags:cats, Marie

Have You Seen Marie? by Sandra Cisneros

This is an illustrated short story for adults. A woman is grieving over the death of her mother when her cat goes missing. Through searching for him, she reconnects with her neighbors. She also realizes how valuable human connections are in this adventure called life. The story ends on a happy note. ( )
  bschaffer | Feb 27, 2014 |
At I thought this was a kids book. It is about a missing cat named Marie. This novel in verse and prose recounts a woman's grief after the loss of her mother. Compounding the sadness is tuxedo cat Marie who has run away. This autobiographical story reminded me of Seedfolks by Fleishman. As Sandra and Roz look for Marie you learn about all the people in their neighborhood and sometimes what these people have lost as well. I enjoyed the illustrations and thought about adults as orphans and the concept of being alone. ( )
  SparklePonies | Feb 10, 2014 |
This is a very short story by an author I have come to appreciate over the years. It seems that lately I have been reading quite a few books about dealing with grief and loss over a parent (e.g. [b:A Monster Calls|8621462|A Monster Calls|Patrick Ness|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1331787035s/8621462.jpg|13492114] and [b:Under the Mesquite|8423931|Under the Mesquite|Guadalupe Garcia McCall|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1345513277s/8423931.jpg|6646228] ). This book looks at the death of a parent from the point of view of an adult child. I found this book inspiring and uplifting. Upon finishing, I immediately called my mom and texted my dad. How can a book that deals with grief over loss be inspiring? It inspired me to reach out to the people who I love and may not have in my life for many years to come.

The story is also about community. It is about a woman who has previously removed herself from her neighbors and purposely not interacted with them but is forced to reach out and be a part of the community if she is going to find her missing pet.

Have you seen Marie? is a short story, but worth the read.
[b:A Monster Calls|8621462|A Monster Calls|Patrick Ness|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1331787035s/8621462.jpg|13492114] and [b:Under the Mesquite|8423931|Under the Mesquite|Guadalupe Garcia McCall|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1345513277s/8423931.jpg|6646228] ( )
  ReginaR | Aug 3, 2013 |
(8) ( )
  activelearning | Jan 20, 2013 |
Sweet book about dealing with death and loss. A woman loses her cat shortly after her mother dies. She looks for the cat, and in doing so reconnects with her community. It's a simple story with beautiful illustrations, a lovely quick read or gift book.
http://www.bostonbibliophile.com/2013/01/review-have-you-seen-marie-by-sandra.ht... ( )
  bostonbibliophile | Jan 15, 2013 |

The internationally acclaimed author of The House on Mango Street gives us a deeply moving tale of loss, grief, and healing: a lyrically told, richly illustrated fable for grown-ups about a woman’s search for a cat who goes missing in the wake of her mother’s death.

The word “orphan” might not seem to apply to a fifty-three-year-old woman. Yet this is exactly how Sandra feels as she finds herself motherless, alone like “a glove left behind at the bus station.” What just might save her is her search for someone else gone missing: Marie, the black-and-white cat of her friend, Roz, who ran off the day they arrived from Tacoma. As Sandra and Roz scour the streets of San Antonio, posting flyers and asking everywhere, “Have you seen Marie?” the pursuit of this one small creature takes on unexpected urgency and meaning. With full-color illustrations that bring this transformative quest to vivid life, Have You Seen Marie? showcases a beloved author’s storytelling magic, in a tale that reminds us how love, even when it goes astray, does not stay lost forever.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:32 -0400)

"The word "orphan" might not seem to apply to a fifty-three-year-old woman. Yet this is exactly how Sandra feels as she finds herself motherless, alone like "a glove left behind at the bus station." What just might save her is her search for someone else gone missing: Marie, the black-and-white cat of her friend, Roz, who ran off the day they arrived from Tacoma. As Sandra and Roz scour the streets of San Antonio, posting flyers and asking everywhere, "Have you seen Marie?" the pursuit of this one small creature takes on unexpected urgency and meaning."--Dust jacket.… (more)

15 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,966,176 books! | Top bar: Always visible