Keowee Valley by Katherine Scott Crawford

Keowee Valley (edition 2012)

by Katherine Scott Crawford

167615,960 (4)None
Member:Genevieve.Graham
Title:Keowee Valley
Authors:Katherine Scott Crawford
Info:Bell Bridge Books (2012), Paperback, 348 pages

Keowee Valley by Katherine Scott Crawford

Quinn yearns for the freedom of the valley; not only does she yearn, she dreams. With the familial MacFadden Sight in tow, she dreams her way to her ambitions. While she's on a mission to find and free her cousin, Owen, from the hands of the Iroquois, she gains her own settlement, The MacFadden settlement. Her guide, half-Cherokee half-Irishman, Jackson Wolf changes her life course as she finds herself falling madly in love. With the impending war, Jack is to make a choice: either to be entrusted by the King as a translator, or to commit treason.

"'I just wonder if you've considered that by trusting this man, you are taking on two lives: one white, one savage. Can you live in that in-between world, Quincy?'" (loc. 1425)

Such a well written piece. As a debut novel, I'm taken aback at how seasoned and classic this novel feels. Told in first-person, I felt as though I was reading a diary and thus entering the inner most thoughts of Quinn. Quinn, as the strong independent woman she is, was a breath of fresh air from the usual damsel in distress. The depth this book goes into, steeped in history and culture, is wonderfully done. I admit I was a bit weary to continue, in the beginning, but I'm glad I did because the story line of war, freedom and romance caught me up in my imagination. As the descriptive scenery and vivd characterization is put before us, the author paints a glorious picture of a in-depth historical romance.

First Line: "My story begins before the fall, in that Indian summer time when the hills are tipped with oncoming old, and the light hangs just above the trees, dotting the Blue Ridge with gilded freckles." (loc. 50)

Last Line: "For the land called to me even now, in an ancient tongue, willing me home." (loc. 5350)
Quotes

"In the eighteen years I'd known my cousin Owen, I'd lost him four times." (loc.102)

"It all came to this: could Grandfather send me to trade for Owen, surely a man's job, dangerous and uncertain?" (loc.184)

"It infuriated me that I remained at the mercy of Jackson Wolf, a man I didn't know and was beginning to doubt I'd ever meet." (loc. 823)

"I wanted the creek to myself, the whole valley to myself, the world--before life began again and the day wasn't wholly mine anymore." (loc. 895)

"He'd said we were meant. That we belonged together. But was it enough?" (loc. 2000)

"But the pain was only a pulsing reminder of the task at hand: I had to find out what was happening in Charlestown. I had to know if the war I'd been dreaming of had begun." (loc. 2242)

Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |

Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |
It is clear from the often poetic descriptions of the South Carolina landscape, that the author has a deep love of the place. However, I would have loved to see a little less of these sometimes lengthy descriptions and a little more character and/or plot development. The first half of the story is a little slow moving with all of these scenic descriptions and I kept waiting to hear more about the characters. I particularly felt that something was lacking in the early development of Quinn and Jack's relationship.

I understand that the author left the ending more open for future books, but it was a little too open for my taste. I felt the ending lacked the closure that I usually need from my books.

It's difficult to read this book and not compare it to [b:Into the Wilderness|72854|Into the Wilderness (Wilderness, #1)|Sara Donati|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1320395200s/72854.jpg|3098033], which might be what prevented me from liking this more. For me, character development is the most important part of a book, and where ITW excelled in that, I felt it was a bit lacking in this book.

Still, Keowee Valley presents a debut from a clearly talented author. I will be interested to see how her writing progresses in future books. ( )
  emmytuck | Sep 27, 2013 |
Author: Katherine Scott
Published by: Bell Bridge Books
Age Recommended: Adult
Reviewed By: Arlena Dean
Book Blog For: GMTA
Rating: 5

Review:

"Keowee Valley" by Katherine Scott wonderful, romantic, historical fiction read that turned out to be a amazing good read. This author really knows how to keep you on the edge of your seat with this read and gave you the feeling that you were right there in this read as she has you all caught up dreaming her(Quinn's)way to her ambitions. The descriptions of this South Carolina Blue Ridge area seem to come to life being so beautifully described. The plot of this story was very interesting how this author was able to bring it all together told in first person. Many times I thought this story was going one way then before I knew what was happening it had changed which made this so intriguing. Basically this story was of Quincy(Quinn) MacFadden who"confessing to having been plagued with strange visions(dreams), of which she is positive are omens" and with this Quincy feels that this will help her find her missing cousin, Owen who she had earlier thought had been killed by the 'Shawnee.' Owen has been kidnapped by Indians. So, she decides to leave Charleston and head to the frontier to trade for Owen's life. After arriving in the Appalachians, Quinn is told of a guide named Jackson Wolf who could help her negotiate her cousins freedom.Then this story leads us to Jack Wolf who Quinn employs to track her cousin and then this story takes off from here. We find that Jack is half Cherokee and Irish who also works in the service as a part time translator for the British and a guide and from this he will have some real decisions to make. "With the impending war, Jack is to make a choice: either to be entrusted by the King as a translator, or to commit treason." Now, this is where I say you must pick up "Keowee Valley" to see what all this author will have for the reader. This will be a interesting read on how this author will get this all together for the reader. Be prepared for plenty of action, adventure, romance and the history as it all comes together giving the reader in the end a amazing good and well written read. ( )
  arlenadean | Apr 18, 2013 |

Dnaej | Apr 6, 2013 |

Katherine Scott Crawford is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,227,843 books! | Top bar: Always visible