The Birds and Other Stories by Daphne du…

The Birds and Other Stories (original 1952; edition 2003)

by Daphne du Maurier

Member:CurrerBell
Title:The Birds and Other Stories
Authors:Daphne du Maurier
Info:Virago (2003), Paperback, 256 pages
Collections:Your library, Read, Boxed
Rating:***1/2
Tags:35, Virago

The Birds and Other Stories by Daphne du Maurier (1952)

Recently added byMarcelle1961, Dunaganagain, jkrzok, ImperfectCJ, alo1224, Totcultura, Johanna11, private library

Some of these stories, especially "The Birds" and "The Apple Tree," I really liked. The others I just liked, without the adverb. "The Old Man" made me smile. I enjoyed the atmosphere of "Kiss Me Again, Stranger" but was kind of disappointed in the ending (although I'm SO glad she wasn't a vampire). "The Little Photographer" left me feeling squirmy; I couldn't decide what I wanted to happen to the main character. "Monte Verita" was almost awesome, but the turn it took at the end seemed weird to me.

Overall, I really like the structure of du Maurier's stories. They circle back in a satisfying way, and often they're peopled with characters who either become overly emotional about smallish things or accept with a pragmatic shrug of the shoulders things that seem to warrant a bigger reaction. ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Jun 20, 2017 |
I listened to the BBC audio dramatization of du Maurier’s The Birds (the same one Hitchcock based his movie on). It follows a family of three who have moved from London to the country. It takes place in England, it seems to be just after the war (WWII, I am assuming, as it was written in 1952). They notice birds congregating outside their home and becoming more and more aggressive.

I really liked this. Boy, that ending was creepy!!! I did see the movie years ago, and now I’d be interested in seeing it again. As I look at other reviews, it seems the movie is quite different. I’m not sure how close the dramatization is, but I thought this BBC version was done very well! ( )
  LibraryCin | Dec 20, 2016 |

“When she smiled it was as though she embraced the world.”

One may assume an anthology with six mere stories would be a little short or lacking, but since she leans towards longer anthology pieces, it works out well for the length. I was excited to read this, especially being such a fan of Rebecca and Daphne du Maurier's gothic ambience. Simply must find more of her stuff, and soon.

The Birds ended up a great story that doesn't disappoint. True to the word of other reviewers, it is much different than the film, but while I loved the detailed movie story, this one works well too. It's a pretty short story as far as her others go, and focuses on a man who is trying to take care of his wife and two children during the birdpocalypse. He is the first one who notices things amiss, and one of the only in town who takes the thing as seriously as it should be taken when the first bird strikes. No goriness, but there is a creepiness in this story that is missing from the motion picture.

Great stuff...it gets me thinking too that if birds did start attacking like that, we would be screwed. As Nat himself thinks, what can man do? Planes were tried and wrecked as the birds and gulls mass suicided into the things, the glass windows, the engines. Navy and the water wars would be effective only against the gulls and sea birds if they stayed put. Ultimately people would have to be poisoned or blundered for immediate action to take place, which is obviously counter-productive anyway. 4/5

She wrote Monte Verita beautifully - du Maurier has the perfect gothic touch in her writing, and so her lyrical prose complimented this unusually fantasy-rich story well. It was creatively structured with a bittersweet ending. A mountain group (cult?) blessed by immortality - or is that only in their heads and we are all fools after all? Unfortunately it only worked so far because it was too bloody long - shorten it by half and it would have been another star earned. 2.5/5

'The Apple Tree' - loved it. At first it seemed like bizarre humor - and it is funny. But then it turned bleak - and it is bleak. It has moral message. I wobble between just seeing him as a selfish man who did not appreciate what he had, to a woman who brought down the life and spirit. Really it's a combination of both. At times funny, but mainly just sad, it's a creative, artsy, long story. Excellent and just different. Ties with 'The Birds' as a favorite; while the famous story is creepier and exciting, The Apple Tree has a slower pace that works because it is sobering, deep, and unusual. Don't think I'll forget it. 4/5

'The Little Photographer' was actually crappy. Despite DuMaurier's stunning writing style, the plot turned out to be as shallow as the main character. At first it was intriguing and held promise, but the end ruined all, especially when I started hated the main. Felt bad for the photographer. At least karma visited at the end. 2/5

I dug "Kiss me again, Stranger." At the cemetery I started thinking it would have a paranormal jibe. A little slow on the start but it was worth continuing. The ending isn't fabulous or anything, but it was an enjoyable enough story. 3/5

'The Old Man'...no idea what to think of this story. I suppose 2.5/5. I don't fully get it. At least it's short. The narrator was definitely a nosy soul.

As you can see, mixed ratings. Even the stories I stamped a 2 star on were enjoyable to read because her writing is just that awesome. I didn't hate any. The anthology shines too because it showcases her writing talent by dishing out samples of such different stories. The plots, story tone, and characters are all individuals.

I recommend hunting this down, it's worth it. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
I don't believe I read through the entire anthology, but it could just be because "The Birds" left such an impression. Having seen the film multiple times, I was surprised and pleased to discover that du Maurier's original story is even more compelling. The atmosphere is just chilling - not even Hitchcock could recreate it. ( )
  sweetzombieducky | Nov 28, 2015 |
This was a fantastic reading. It's the story of a man who was haunted by an apple tree. The man's wife died a few moth ago. He is living on the countryside in a big house. A housekeeper and a gardener are the only persons who keep the everyday chores going. He didn't feel sad that his wife died. On the contrary he felt very happy to do what he wanted to do. In his big garden were several apple trees. One of them, which was the closest to the house, seemed to be dead since many years. There hadn't been any blossoms nor fruits in ages. Therefore he told the gardener to chop the tree down. The gardener wasn't compliant to fulfill the task because he discovered some blossoms and asked for giving the tree another chance. In fact the tree got more blossoms than any other of the apple trees and got also a load of fruits. Everybody loved the fruits but not the owner.
There were more incidents during the year which I won't write due to not spoil the outcome. It's a story which I can strongly recommend. It is fast-paced and very gripping. ( )
  Ameise1 | Mar 8, 2015 |

du Maurier, Daphneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cardi, Alma ReeseDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomson, DavidIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tomes, MargotIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Publishing history - 1952, UK, Gollancz "The Apple Tree and Other Stories"; 1963, UK, Pan "The Birds and Other Stories".  This last title is the one that has continued to be used ever since. (As far as i can tell);

Stories include:

"The Birds",

"Monte Verità",

"The Apple Tree",

"The Little Photographer",

"Kiss Me Again, Stranger", and

"The Old Man"

In 1953 in the US, Doubleday published the stories included in "The Apple Tree..." along with two additional stories ("The Split Second" and "No Motive") as the collection "Kiss Me Again, Stranger"

VIRAGO EDITION:
A classic of alienation and horror, 'The Birds' was immortalised by Hitchcock in his celebrated film. The five other chilling stories in this collection echo a sense of dislocation and mock man's sense of dominance over the natural world. The mountain paradise of Monte Verità promises immortality, but at a terrible price; a neglected wife haunts her husband in the form of an apple tree; a professional photographer steps out from behind the camera and into his subject's life; a date with a cinema usherette leads to a walk in the cemetery; and a jealous father finds a remedy when three's a crowd...

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,310,864 books! | Top bar: Always visible