The Different Girl by Gordon Dahlquist

The Different Girl (2013)

by Gordon Dahlquist

Info:ARC, 240 pages
Collections:Did Not Finish, Early Reviewers, Review Copies, Your library
Rating:*
Tags:science fiction, ya

The Different Girl by Gordon Dahlquist (2013)

Quote-Bomb!
Was that what death meant—no answers, a finally locked door? As my foot touched the floor I decided what was wrong, because death always left a why, and a how, and a what next. Questions weren’t the same as answers—they didn’t tell me this dead girls name—but for her sake I wasn’t going to let them go.

Why did we know the things we did? When did the knowing settle in, like a circling bird to the earth?

She stood in the center of a spinning globe, transfixed and taking refuge in the patterns.

I almost understood—because we learned by adding one thing to another thing to make a third we hadn’t known before—except May didn’t add things the way we did. She felt them, like the weight of an object in the dark of a pocket, hidden but still at hand.
That was May’s everything. That was May’s heart.

Now her part of any conversation would be left unsaid, and any direction she would have gone walking would always be empty. Her absence extended in lines of numbers made up of smoke, backward in memory ad forward in futures never to occur.

LOTS of good quotes in this book. Unfortunately, all of those quotes occurred in the last 20 or so pages of the book.
I mean, this book was alright. It was sort of sci-fi, but not really, because the sci-fi elements weren’t center to the story, nor were they really explained. This book was about people and how people to the same things in different ways. It’s about questions and answers and that there’s not an answer to every question.
The characters—were a little flat. Most of them were robots, true, but still.
The plot was very minimal.
The world was hardly explained.
Normally, that would earn a book a great big F. But, for this book, I think that was sort of the point, so I’ll let it slide.
This book made a point. It was interesting, but not very exciting.
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
Interesting book although it leaves you with more questions than answers. There were times when I really wasn't sure I liked it but all in all, it was enjoyable. I don't mind books that don't answer every question so I did like it but if you have an issue with not really understanding what's going on, you might not. ( )
  J_Colson | Nov 30, 2017 |
"Veronika. Caroline. Isobel. Eleanor. One blond, one brunette, one redhead, one with hair black as tar. Four otherwise identical girls who spend their days in sync, tasked to learn. But when May, a very different kind of girl--the lone survivor of a recent shipwreck--suddenly and mysteriously arrives on the island, an unsettling mirror is about to be held up to the life the girls have never before questioned"--Provided by publisher.
  lkmuir | Dec 8, 2015 |
Very strange. Not so many answers for all the questions raised. Almost like reading the TV series "LOST" only you didn't get to stare at hot guys... ( )
  PrescottKris | Jan 26, 2015 |
Veronika narrates her story of life on an island in the middle of nowhere with her adoptive parents Irene and Robbert, and her friends Caroline, Isobel and Eleanor. They were told their parents’ planes crashed long ago so have settled into a daily routine with Irene and Robbert, two scientists who survived the crash along with them.

Read the rest of the review on my blog: http://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2013/02/23/the-different-girl-gordon-dah... ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |

Veronika. Caroline. Isobel. Eleanor. One blond, one brunette, one redhead, one with hair black as tar. Four otherwise identical girls who spend their days in sync, tasked to learn. But when May, a very different kind of girl—the lone survivor of a recent shipwreck—suddenly and mysteriously arrives on the island, an unsettling mirror is about to be held up to the life the girls have never before questioned.

Sly and unsettling, Gordon Dahlquist’s timeless and evocative storytelling blurs the lines between contemporary and sci-fi with a story that is sure to linger in readers’ minds long after the final page has been turned.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:12 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Gordon Dahlquist's book The Different Girl was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,505,292 books! | Top bar: Always visible