Hello, Nebulon! (Galaxy Zack) by Ray…

Hello, Nebulon! (Galaxy Zack) (edition 2013)

by Ray O'Ryan (Author), Colin Jack (Illustrator)

Member:stacey.saulietis
Title:Hello, Nebulon! (Galaxy Zack)
Authors:Ray O'Ryan (Author)
Other authors:Colin Jack (Illustrator)
Info:Little Simon (2013), 128 pages

Hello, Nebulon! (Galaxy Zack) by Ray O'Ryan

Recommended Ages: Gr. 1-3 (chapter book)

Plot Summary: Zack isn't excited about moving. He doesn't want to leave his dog Luna, his friend Bert, or his favorite food pizza. But Zack doesn't have a choice. Will he ever be happy in his new home? Will he get used to the flying cars, his new house, and Ira? What will his new school be like? Will he make any friends?

Setting: February 11, 2120, leaving Earth for planet Nebulon

Charlotte and Kathy Nelson - Zack's twin sisters, speak sentences together
Bert - Zack's friend on earth
Luna - Zack's dog, left behind on Earth until they settle in their new house
Fred Stevens - Otto's new boss, friendly, meet them at the at the spaceport
Ira - Indoor Robotic Assistant, in every room of the house, talks and serves the humans with all their needs

Recurring Themes: moving, fitting in, friendship, family

Controversial Issues: none

Personal Thoughts: This books seemed like the first book in the series. It spent most of the time setting up the story for the next adventure. Things were solved easily and quickly with a little bit of humor. I just like more meat to my stories or things to go wrong, but that's not what happens in an early chapter book.

Genre: science fiction

Pacing: fast
Characters: not very well developed
Frame:
Storyline:

Activity: ( )
  pigeonlover | Apr 27, 2016 |
Light and silly, with lots of fun gadgets and a made-up planet to explore.
  LibraryGirl11 | Jul 29, 2014 |
Good book for 3rd & 4th graders or strong 2nd grade readers. First in a series. Zack is on his way with his family to live on Planet Nebulon, but he's worried about missing his friends and he's not sure what awaits him on Nebulon. Turns out, Nebulon is really cool. There's lots of whiz-bang things that kids will wish they had, like a house computer/robot that gives you whatever food you ask for, a flying bike, and elevators in the house that take you wherever you want. ( )
  ChristianR | Jul 19, 2013 |
This is the "boy" complement to the Critter Club series I reviewed last week. In fact, they were both bound together in the ARC I received. This is a cute beginning to a series and a nice, if not unique premise, but I had some problems with the book.

So, the idea of the book is that Zack is a perfectly normal kid with annoying twin sisters, dealing with normal kid problems like moving, going to a new school, making friends, and dealing with a school bully (that happens in the next book). He's just doing it all in outer space on a planet called Nebulon.

My problem with the book is first that there's no real conflict. It's a sort of Jetson family version of the future. Zack's family first shows up in their own space cruiser, when they arrive at the planet they pick out a futuristic car that pops open and Zack fits more or less in at school and makes a friend immediately. Even his worries about his dog, Luna, left on earth are resolved by the final chapter as his dad brings Luna up to space for him. There isn't really any plot, just Zack looking at weird aliens and their world.

My second problem is more an ongoing annoyance. This is supposed to be a futuristic world and Zack's family a super-normal, everyday family. WHY does Zack have to be blonde and his sisters redheads? Some scientists think the redhead gene is dying out anyways. It's much, much more likely that Zack's family would be biracial or even just brunette. This really annoys me. There's no reason they have to be white, it's just a default for the author and publisher I guess. But seriously? I live in a small, homogeneous, midwestern town. There are still more biracial and African-American kids than there are redheads. And YES, books with kids of color like this will sell - I have lots of kids who love the EllRay Jakes series. I would like artists to add some brown pencils to their art supplies and authors to cross off redheads from their list of descriptions forever PLEASE.

Verdict: I think kids will probably check this out, but they'll be disappointed that nothing interesting really happens and the series will die on the shelf. I'll pass on this and we'll stick with Pamela Service's beginning chapter series about aliens.

ISBN: 9781442453869; Published April 2013 by Simon and Schuster; ARC provided by the publisher at ALA Midwinter 2013
1 vote JeanLittleLibrary | Apr 27, 2013 |

Moving from Earth to the futuristic planet Nebulon in 2120, eight-year-old Zack is nervous about starting school and meeting people.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,778,034 books! | Top bar: Always visible