Twelve Months by Steven Manchester

Twelve Months (edition 2012)

by Steven Manchester

Member:veesing
Title:Twelve Months
Authors:Steven Manchester
Info:Story Plant, The (2012), Paperback, 326 pages
Rating:***
Tags:read

Twelve Months by Steven Manchester

I really enjoyed this book, however there were numerous places where I had to have plenty of tissues handy in order to staunch my tears and runny nose. Of course, I knew from the summary that the main character had just received a diagnosis of inoperable cancer and only had 12 months to live. He managed to re-arrange his priorities and make many wonderful memories for his family and friends. Many of us just live as if we have all the time in the world, but this man focused on a list of things he really wanted to experience. Along the way he learned a great deal about himself and made an impact of many people he encountered in his journey. ( )
  okjlsaz | Feb 4, 2014 |
Two things said it all. First blurb: "Move over, Nicholas Sparks!" Also, author describes a day as being like existing in a Thomas Kincaide painting. Aaaaah! Couldn't read this. ( )
  cherilove | May 5, 2013 |
I thoroughly enjoyed the author's writing style, but I felt that the story took too long to get to the point. I need a book that grabs me right from the start. I don't want to have to wait to be impressed or to care about the story and/or characters. ( )
  eheinlen | Jan 29, 2013 |
Author: Steven Manchester
Published by: The Story Plant
Age Recommended: Adult
Reviewed By: Arlena Dean
Book Blog For: GMTA
Rating: 5

Review:

"Twelve Months" by Steven Manchester was a very important read for me that was very interesting. This author did a wonderful job at presenting this man's mortality and finding out the true meaning in his own life.' I wasn't sure if I was really going to like this sad read but I am so glad that I was able to make it to end.

"Twelve Month" was told in first person narrative and will introduce the reader to how Don DiMarco at the age of fifty-seven ... a machinist...being diagnosed with colon cancer at a advanced stage but you will find his last days of life was found showing how much he cared for the people he truly loved. Don had retired early so he could spend time with his wife, Bella to spend more time with their daughter, Riley and her husband, Michael, along with grandchildren Madison and Pudge. Now, this had come upon him...how would he handle this? Well, this is where I say you must pick up "Twelve Months" and see how this author gives us such a well written story that was absolutely good. Yes, he does get closer to God, not just to beg for a cure, but to give thanks, instilling the most important things to his grandchildren and most of all sharing wisdom.."the most important thing I’ve passed on is that life can be a beautiful dream, or a living nightmare. It’s all about your attitude; your perspective."

Even though Don only had a limited time to live, one can see and even say that he really enjoyed the joyous time that he had left. This author did a wonderful job at presenting "Twelve Months" in a trip where we as the reader can see Don's life in many different stages. There were many times that I laughed and even cried...Wow...what you will get from this read.

"Twelve Month" will definitely give you thought on that saying...not sweating the small stuff and the song ...'Live Like you were Dying' comes to mind. I find anyone who has had a loss... this novel I would definitely recommend to you as a excellent read. Thank you Mr. Manchester for such a excellent read. ( )
  arlenadean | Jan 27, 2013 |
When I first picked up Twelve Months I had some reservations. I tend to stay in my literary comfort zone and Twelve Months just didn't fall into that circle. Well, I gave it the old college try and was blown away. Not only did I love this book, but it had me crying like a big baby.
The ability to relate to a character is always the first thing I want when reading a book. Call me shallow, but I had serious doubts about being able to relate to a retired grandfather living in the North. Don DiMarco is someone that I came to care for, cheer for, and cry for throughout the book. Twelve Months not only touched me on a heartbreak level, but a personal level. Several people very close to me have cancer and this book just hit home for me. Don is so brave throughout the book. He literally lives like he is dying and tries to fit a lifetime of living into twelve months. One of the most heartbreaking things is that many people try to do this, but it always seems to come to late. After all, we can put it off until tomorrow. We have all the time in the world.One of the fascinating things this novel explores is how Don's diagnosis affects his family members, from his wife to his daughter, grandchildren, and son-in-law. The emotional stress that it puts on the family was heartbreaking to read. Putting the fact that the story is good readers must take into account the writing style. Steven Manchester writes beautifully. The descriptive and flowing writing had me at page one. Twelve Months by Steven Manchester is a novel about a man living his last moments to the fullest that he can and the journey and toll this takes on a family as a whole. This is one novel that you should not miss, especially if cancer has impacted your life in any way. I give this book a 4 1/2 STAR rating. ( )
  BrandisBookMusings | Nov 11, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 161188053X, Paperback)

Don DiMarco has a very good life – a family he loves, a comfortable lifestyle, passions and interests that keep him amused. He also thought he had time, but that turned out not to be the case. Faced with news that might have immediately felled most, Don now wonders if he has time enough. Time enough to show his wife the romance he didn’t always lavish on her. Time enough to live out his most ambitious fantasies. Time enough to close the circle on some of his most aching unresolved relationships. Summoning an inner strength he barely realized he possessed, Don sets off to prove that twelve months is time enough to live a life in full.

A glorious celebration of each and every moment that we’re given here on Earth, as well as the eternal bonds that we all share, TWELVE MONTHS is a stirring testament to the power of the human spirit.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:36 -0400)

Don DiMarco has a very good life - a family he loves, a comfortable lifestyle, passions and interests that keep him amused. He also thought he had time, but that turned out not to be the case. Faced with the news that might have immediately felled most, Don now wonders if he has time enough. Time enough to show his wife the romance he didn't always lavish on her. Time enough to live out his most ambitious fantasies. Time enoughto close the circle on some of his most aching unresolved relationships. Summoning an inner strength he barely realized he possessed, Don sets off to prove that twelve months is time enough to live a life in full.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,314,143 books! | Top bar: Always visible