The Franciscan by James Rollo

The Franciscan (original 2012; edition 2012)

by James Rollo

Member:MarniGreatrex
Title:The Franciscan
Authors:James Rollo
Info:EnemyOne (2012), Kindle Edition, 196 pages
Collections:Member give away, Your library
Rating:**
Tags:first-reads

The Franciscan by James Rollo (2012)

I received this book through the Library Thing Giveaway. Having read the other reviews for this book, I would say that I am in agreement with them. The basic plot of the book is interesting, and there are many good references to geographical places. I liked the that the plot started in Italy, went to the old west, and then ended in Italy again. the beginning of the story was well-plotted, but the story diverged many times with different characters and subplots. It was very hard to keep the characters straight, although they all seemed to have some relation to each other's storylines. The book needs to be edited for grammar and spelling, there are also too many errors with regards to the time of the book as well. The book's time period doesn't stay focused, it starts at the time of Texas independence, jumps to the civil war, and then a character at the end is using a phone, although only a few years have passed. The book is riddled with cliches and references that are also out of place for the time period. I think the author had an interesting idea, though, and with some editing, it could be shaped into and interesting book. ( )
  calicocat901 | Nov 12, 2013 |
(Disclaimer: Received this book through the ER/Member Giveaway program)

This was not a great book by any stretch. Far too many divergences from the main plot to pop in some little 3 page description of some action going on elsewhere that neither helped the flow nor added anything to a developing plot. As far as I could tell, it was page filler that didn't really belong.

I'm a bit of a nitpicker for spelling, grammar, and associated issues. Usually this isn't a big deal with a book, even the biggest names may be victim to a tiny editorial miss, but this book was something else. There were easily 40-50 issues that I found in the first 60 pages (I somewhat keep track using the Note function in my NOOK Color), after that I gave up documenting them.

I wanted to like the book because I feel guilty with a bad review on a free book, I just couldn't do it. There were far too many odd phrasings, unnecessary chapter diversions, spelling/grammar problems. Overall, I finished the book because I feel obligated for the free copy I got in return for an honest review.

So, on to a bright point. The author did appear to have done some decent research into geographical locations and had some nice descriptives at times that could draw in an imaginative reader. Sadly, that was the only good thing that I enjoyed in the book. ( )
  wolfjack | Apr 9, 2013 |
I received my ecopy of the Franciscan for free in exchange for an honest review.

I honestly didn't care for this book. The beginning was gripping and exciting and I was ready for this adventure.

But then it sort of fell apart for me and I had a hard time following the story. The author switched points of view and that was a bit difficult to follow. There were also numerous side stories some of which were well explained and some that weren't so that it was difficult to follow.
I'm sure that there are many who would enjoy this book- just not anyone who's taste I know well. ( )
  bburke79 | Dec 8, 2012 |
James Rollo, author of The Franciscan, started with good sense of story in his latest novel. His story of scheming vs. THE LAW has clever parts.

However, I lost my interest due to poor attention to historical detail and frequently awkward phrasing. Early in the novel, the timeline is established as "five years since Texas won its independence," which sets the story in the early 1840s. Later, the story jumps a couple of decades by referencing Texas' secession from the Union and the beginning of the Civil War. I couldn't follow the logic in the story.

A character uses a telephone, which wasn't to have been invented for another ten years. On top of that, he dialed the telephone; not possibly until at least thirty years after the story.

Never mind that Tiramisu was misspelled, it wasn't invented until more than a hundred years after the story took place.

I was jarred out of the story, when the point of view flipped from third person omniscient to third person limited and right back again.

There is a hope that the antagonist will "sow what he had reaped" without apparently intended irony.

In the end, I lost track of the story. I'm not sure if it was the repeated errors or the jumping around without proper context. I'm sorry that I started reading this story. ( )
  bsiemens | Nov 30, 2012 |
Won this book from Memeber giveaway, a well researched book, I am not a huge western fan, and the side stories i found distracted me from the main plot, took me a while to get through this one, I had an easier time getting through the second half of the book...could have been the ebook format which i find difficult to read, and easy to walk away from. ( )
  MarniGreatrex | Nov 20, 2012 |
Dedicated to my beloved wife Margaret and my four sons, Tony, Brian, Stuart and Gord
The strange rode into the Tohono O'odham village, his dark flowing robe and wide brimmed hat drawing a curious crowed.

James Rollo is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,347,776 books! | Top bar: Always visible