Dark Persuasion by Vicki Hopkins

Dark Persuasion (edition 2012)

by Vicki Hopkins

205515,329 (4.07)None
Member:winterlillies
Title:Dark Persuasion
Authors:Vicki Hopkins
Info:Holland Legacy Publishing (2012), Paperback, 316 pages
Collections:Blog Review, Read, owned Kindle, Historical Romance

Dark Persuasion by Vicki Hopkins

I loved this book. It is a beautiful, bittersweet story of learning to love and learning to forgive. A very well-written historical romance, it's a must read for anyone who likes the genre! ( )
  PhDinHorribleness | Aug 20, 2013 |
I decided to read this book after receiving the offer from LibraryThing.

I don't think I have ever read a true romance novel before, well other than Pride and Prejudice but I believe that is more of a Rom-Com, however I wasn't totally put off by it either. Just the setting itself though a little further in history reminded me of Pride and Prejudice and that's why I stuck to reading this book.

I feel like the storyline of an accident that lead to the leading lady's blindness made for an interesting plot line which enhanced the romance further. Throughout the book I wanted to just hit Charlotte and tell her to come to her senses. However I guess that is what kept me reading the book. I will admit for me it wasn't a page turner that kept me reading into the morning hour not wanting to put it down. But it was a beautiful romance that I may pick up and read again on a rainy day. ( )
  Lpaddycake | Mar 4, 2013 |
This was a beautiful romance story, which like all of life had lots of ups and downs, twists and turns. There was tragedy and hurt.
In the end there was forgiveness and love. A great story... ( )
  roadway2000 | Feb 10, 2013 |
I’m not a big fan of authors who are upfront and state the history of central characters and how they are connected. This approach can be either hit or miss, but in the case of Dark Persuasion, Vicki Hopkins does an amazing job setting up the plot and it defiantly is needed to understand the particular actions of certain characters.

Charlotte Grey was a child when an accident left her blind and she’s surprised her aristocratic neighbors are interested in being her sponsors and hold a ball in her honor. At the ball she meets two brothers, Patrick and Rupert, who are different as night and day. Both will battle for her hand, but which brother will win her heart and can a wrong be rectified?

Hopkins does an excellent job with historical research. She introduces Braille to the point of having Rupert translate a letter he wrote to Charlotte. There’s also the mention of guide dogs and although the time period is 1890 (the first official use of guide dogs from my own personal research indicates they were first used during World War I in Germany), I can let it go because in literature prior to the 19th century, in a few texts, they mention the blind being guided by a dog. I’m not sure of the extent of actual guide dogs as we know it prior to the First World War and I’m not nitpicking on the historical aspects because as I stated Hopkins does a superb job. She also keeps to social etiquette of the time and the language used doesn’t sound too modern.

Characters are well developed and you can easily see how two brothers become rivals. At the heart of the novel is Charlotte’s blindness and although she can’t see the world around her, she believes she can trust her own instinct. She tries to be independent and her family allows her the freedom she wants, but also cautions her. Like most young women she truly believes she can read people and their intentions. Rupert talks to her and she likes that he’s interested in getting to know her, whereas Patrick doesn’t say anything to her, but he has a reason for keeping quiet and keeping her at a distance. She believes someone opening themselves is how to truly communicate with one another. Your heart breaks for her and all she lost. In one poignant scene, she wishes she could see the face of the man she married. And in another scene her husband doesn’t quite realize what it would be like to be married to a blind woman until Charlotte’s sister is sitting next to them at the wedding breakfast and she’s helping Charlotte eat. He looks down at her place setting and he sees pieces of food all over as she attempts to eat.

What I really liked about Dark Persuasion is that Hopkins gives us a villain, who in the end repents for his actions. Sure it’s not the way we would like him to do it, but he realizes his follies and tries to atone for the way he acted towards Charlotte. There’s a twist at the end that I wasn’t expecting, but overall it’s a satisfying read.

Please note: there is some history of abuse and if you are sensitive to particular situations you might not be comfortable reading this book. It’s not detailed, but it is mentioned and explained.

If you’re in a historical romance rut I highly recommend Dark Persuasion. ( )
  winterlillies | Jan 18, 2013 |

Lpaddycake | Jan 14, 2013 |
"The characterization is powerful, haunting, poignant and angst-filled. This is a fantastic read that will stay with you."

Rare Top Pick - 5 Stars - Night Owl Reviews (Romance) 8-13-12
added by Vickid59 | editNight Owl Romance, Emma (Aug 1, 2012)

To my readers who love the scenario of the tortured male, and to my friends and family who continually support my desire to write.
Patrick Rochester was an expert in wallowing in self-pity and remorse.
What he dreaded arrived in a mixture of anguish and pleasure in one brutal moment. There she stood—innocent as an angel and shrouded in darkness.

Charlotte Gray couldn't believe that anyone in high society would care to introduce her to potential suitors. After all, a cruel accident left her blind at the age of eight. However, Lady and Lord Rochester, her aristocratic neighbors, have taken a peculiar interest in her welfare and offer to hold a debutante ball in her honor. Inexperienced in the ways of men and vulnerable to a fault, Charlotte begins to traverse the unfamiliar world of courtship. To her surprise, two brothers become rivals for her affections. One she favors because of his gregarious and flattering ways. The other she spurns due to his unappealing demeanor and desperate attempt to win her heart. Pressured by her family and brokenhearted over the risqué conduct of her first choice, Charlotte is persuaded to accept Patrick Rochester's proposal of marriage instead. Her surrender introduces her into the world of passion at the artful hands of a mysterious man. When the dark and alluring husband finally conquers her heart, a shocking secret about his true identity unfolds. As a result, Charlotte learns that love can be blind for everyone-even her.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:35 -0400)

Vicki Hopkins is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,892,774 books! | Top bar: Always visible