Saturday Night Widows: The Adventures of Six…

Saturday Night Widows: The Adventures of Six Friends Remaking Their Lives (edition 2013)

by Becky Aikman

Member:pagei
Title:Saturday Night Widows: The Adventures of Six Friends Remaking Their Lives
Authors:Becky Aikman
Info:Crown (2013), Hardcover, 352 pages

Saturday Night Widows: The Adventures of Six Friends Remaking Their Lives by Becky Aikman

Started off OK but after introducing us to the other women she goes off about how the stages of grief are all wrong and how her husband's shrink and others all agree. She goes on and on about this. Personally I just wanted the story of the six women. I wasn't interested in someone telling me the right and wrong way to experience grief. ( )
  Icepacklady | Jun 3, 2015 |
This book was not what I expected. I was expecting a sad story of loss and I got instead a book about friendship, life, joy and love. Becky gathers together 5 widows and together they spend a year grieving the loss of their husbands while learning that they still have a lot of living yet ahead.

March 2013 ( )
  mlake | Apr 28, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a really great book. Though, I haven't lost a husband myself, I can imagine that anyone who has would find this book uplifting. I love the way she wrote the book through first person, yet, not overwhelmingly so. The stories of each woman are very interesting and not one overshadows the other. ( )
  jlouise77 | Dec 23, 2014 |
A great book about grief and moving on with life. It was funny and it made me cry. It was honest and I think anybody who has lost someone close to them (not necessarily a spouse) could benefit from the story of the Saturday Night Widows. ( )
  luvtink81 | Jun 1, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was an enjoyable and emotional read. I was surprised by the challenges a young widow faces and by the reaction of older widows to her situation. Oddly – to my at least – I found myself able to relate to Aikman’s situation. Not as a widow, but as a young woman facing major surgery tasked with wading through literature and support groups set up for much older patients. I recommend the book if you are looking for a relatable, humorous, and emotional memoir. ( )
  stephivist | May 6, 2014 |
false
false

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307590437, Hardcover)

Q&A with Becky Aikman

Becky Aikman

Q. What gave you the idea of forming your own widows’ support group?

A. Losing someone close to you has to be one of life’s most universal experiences, but it wasn’t until it happened to me at a relatively young age that I realized our culture doesn’t provide much guidance about how to reinvent yourself afterward. I hoped that by joining with other young widows, we could lighten the task by facing this daunting transition together.

Q. What kinds of things did the group do together?

A. I had joined a traditional support group before, but the goal seemed to be to sit in a circle and talk about how sad we were. And there weren’t even any snacks! So I put together more of a renegade group, looking to the future, and focused on doing, not talking. Although we did wind up talking our heads off, too, we also cooked together, volunteered, invited widowers to meet us. We went through the family home of one of the women when she was packing up to move. We even went lingerie shopping together when some of the women started to look for love again. Ultimately, we took a transforming trip to a place none of us had visited before. Along the way, we shared a few tears, but a lot more laughter.

Q. How did you put the group together? Did their differences create conflict?

A. My process for finding the other women, mostly by asking around, couldn’t have been more random. Then when I introduced everybody the first time, I thought, “Wow, did I make a mistake.” It was a crazy mismatch of personalities. All we had in common was that each woman had suffered through a tragedy that had turned her life upside down. I was afraid that this was going to be one sad story, snacks or no snacks. But instead, it turned into an adventure story, not only the adventures we shared, but the adventures each of us encountered as we navigated our way through incredible changes.

Q. Did the group help you, too?

A. When I started the group, I viewed myself as the journalist who would chronicle our story. I had remarried four years after my husband died, shortly before the group’s first meeting. But my grief was still fresh, and I was coping with all the upheaval of trying to cobble together a new life, with a new career, new husband, new stepdaughter, new home, and new dog. I began to rely on the example of the group, and its good, old-fashioned girlfriend advice, for how to put a new life together and keep it in balance with my memories from the past.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:45 -0400)

Describes the author's experiences as a young widow and the pivotal relationships she forged with five other widows, recounting the stories of their losses and bravery as exchanged throughout a year of monthly Saturday night meetings.

73 wanted1 pay2 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Saturday Night Widows by Becky Aikman was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,953,710 books! | Top bar: Always visible