Saturday Night Widows: The Adventures of Six…

Saturday Night Widows: The Adventures of Six Friends Remaking Their Lives (edition 2013)

by Becky Aikman

11933101,247 (3.63)6
Member:pagei
Title:Saturday Night Widows: The Adventures of Six Friends Remaking Their Lives
Authors:Becky Aikman
Info:Crown (2013), Hardcover, 352 pages

Saturday Night Widows: The Adventures of Six Friends Remaking Their Lives by Becky Aikman

This may not seem like beach reading, but I am almost euphoric about finding this book -- I keep having little Eureka! moments, like "Yes! I felt exactly the same way!" and "Oh my gosh, me TOO!"

And now I look like a lobster from the back, because I was so busy reading that I forgot to turn over. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |
I liked the concept a lot, but I was very aware of how Sex and the City these women were. You can't help wondering how the project would have gone down among people who don't have summer homes and glamorous Manhattan brownstones and "Paris was one of our favorite places" lifestyles. The book feels very summarized, too, which kept me on the outside; while I loved the idea of these six women bonding and growing together, I didn't feel connected to them myself. I was a well-removed observer. I actually think film would have been a better medium for this story, and I'll be interested to see if they ever do make a movie out of it.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
At first I was a bit put off as it seemed as if the author was using this as a research project to write and sell a book. However, she herself is a widow and was struggling to come to terms with her new life situation. As a recent widow I heard my own voice in so many of the women in this book and it really helped me to not feel so alone. The author combines humor and an open honesty that is refreshing. In an early chapter knew I would like this book when one of the women said, “I don’t worry about things as much anymore, the worst has already happened to me,” or something similar. I remember saying a similar thing to my sister-in-law recently. I don’t think twice about getting on a plane (not that I ever really worried) or about losing my job or other catastrophes – what could be worse than losing my soulmate?
Worth the read. ( )
  becka11y2 | Jan 19, 2016 |
Started off OK but after introducing us to the other women she goes off about how the stages of grief are all wrong and how her husband's shrink and others all agree. She goes on and on about this. Personally I just wanted the story of the six women. I wasn't interested in someone telling me the right and wrong way to experience grief. ( )
  Icepacklady | Jun 3, 2015 |
This book was not what I expected. I was expecting a sad story of loss and I got instead a book about friendship, life, joy and love. Becky gathers together 5 widows and together they spend a year grieving the loss of their husbands while learning that they still have a lot of living yet ahead.

March 2013 ( )
  mlake | Apr 28, 2015 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307590437, Hardcover)

Q&A with Becky Aikman

Becky Aikman

Q. What gave you the idea of forming your own widows’ support group?

A. Losing someone close to you has to be one of life’s most universal experiences, but it wasn’t until it happened to me at a relatively young age that I realized our culture doesn’t provide much guidance about how to reinvent yourself afterward. I hoped that by joining with other young widows, we could lighten the task by facing this daunting transition together.

Q. What kinds of things did the group do together?

A. I had joined a traditional support group before, but the goal seemed to be to sit in a circle and talk about how sad we were. And there weren’t even any snacks! So I put together more of a renegade group, looking to the future, and focused on doing, not talking. Although we did wind up talking our heads off, too, we also cooked together, volunteered, invited widowers to meet us. We went through the family home of one of the women when she was packing up to move. We even went lingerie shopping together when some of the women started to look for love again. Ultimately, we took a transforming trip to a place none of us had visited before. Along the way, we shared a few tears, but a lot more laughter.

Q. How did you put the group together? Did their differences create conflict?

A. My process for finding the other women, mostly by asking around, couldn’t have been more random. Then when I introduced everybody the first time, I thought, “Wow, did I make a mistake.” It was a crazy mismatch of personalities. All we had in common was that each woman had suffered through a tragedy that had turned her life upside down. I was afraid that this was going to be one sad story, snacks or no snacks. But instead, it turned into an adventure story, not only the adventures we shared, but the adventures each of us encountered as we navigated our way through incredible changes.

Q. Did the group help you, too?

A. When I started the group, I viewed myself as the journalist who would chronicle our story. I had remarried four years after my husband died, shortly before the group’s first meeting. But my grief was still fresh, and I was coping with all the upheaval of trying to cobble together a new life, with a new career, new husband, new stepdaughter, new home, and new dog. I began to rely on the example of the group, and its good, old-fashioned girlfriend advice, for how to put a new life together and keep it in balance with my memories from the past.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:45 -0400)

Describes the author's experiences as a young widow and the pivotal relationships she forged with five other widows, recounting the stories of their losses and bravery as exchanged throughout a year of monthly Saturday night meetings.

71 wanted1 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,250,954 books! | Top bar: Always visible