A Reader's Delight by Noel Perrin

A Reader's Delight (edition 1988)

by Noel Perrin

195460,388 (4.16)9
Member:chancery76801
Title:A Reader's Delight
Authors:Noel Perrin
Info:Dartmouth (1988), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 220 pages

A Reader's Delight by Noel Perrin

That's a literal title. I had heard of a few of Perrin's authors or titles (Robert Graves, Joseph Mitchell, Guard of Honor, [b:A Fine and Private Place|76718|A Fine and Private Place|Peter S. Beagle|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1170899643s/76718.jpg|3948]) and now, solely on the his enticing, enchanting essays, I want to read them all. And even if Perrin is wrong (which I doubt) and the books' obscurity deserved, I shall have delighted in Perrin's essays themselves, which are as masterful as the books they tout.
  ljhliesl | May 21, 2013 |
This book is like having an educated, intelligent friend personally recommend books to you that you would not find or pick up on your own. I am only halfway through because I keep having to stop in order to go read the book he described! He has a conversational, often conspiratorial, tone and makes you want to live at the library. ( )
1 vote Earth619 | May 26, 2012 |
I found half of the books that the author describes interesting enough to note for my own reading list. 20 out of 40 is not that bad. I also found the epilogue to be helpful about which titles were out of print in 1988. May be hard to find some still, but I have faith in the library system!
I discovered that I did not want to read the complete essays, although they are well written. I did not want to know too much about the plot of the book being recommended. If the first few paragraphs peaked my interest, I added it to my list. ( )
2 vote aimless22 | Jun 23, 2008 |
Interesting handling of classics or would be classics to read. Found some real treasures in this individual's book. ( )
1 vote aemurray | Feb 28, 2007 |

One of America's finest essayists writes about 40 literary masterpieces that have been wrongfully forgotten or were ignored in the first place.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:59 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,378,974 books! | Top bar: Always visible