Dangerous Waters by Toni Anderson

Dangerous Waters (edition 2012)

by Toni Anderson

Member:Darcia
Title:Dangerous Waters
Authors:Toni Anderson
Info:Montlake Romance (2012), Paperback, 326 pages
Collections:Early Reviews and Giveaways, Mystery/Supense/Thriller, Fiction

Dangerours Waters by Toni Anderson

Great small town murder mystery with lots of twist and a romance.

Opens with a shocking murder that happened 30 years ago and then goes to present day where another murder has happened. The story takes place in a small remote town in Canada. After two divers find a body underwater Sergeant Holly Rudd of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and her team arrive to investigate. Holly's father is a commanding officer with the RCMP and she always felt she had to prove herself. This was her first time being in charge of a homicide by herself and she wants to make her father proud. She is still smarting over getting involved with a staff sergeant who forgot to inform her he was married.

Finn Carver, one of the divers who discovered the body has an ugly history with the little town. After serving many years in the special forces he comes back to town when the man who raised him is beat to within an inch of his life.

He and Holly have an instant attraction but neither want to be, but they are constantly thrown together during the investigation. As the investigation goes along we see that the town is pretty good at keeping and hiding secrets. And there is a doozy of a one being kept hidden.

I really like all the twist and turns during the investigation. The author kept you on your toes as to who was bad and who was doing what with whom.

I was excited to here that Finn's brother will be getting his own book next. After you read this book you will see why he deserves his own book. ( )
  CindySnS | Oct 26, 2016 |
Very enjoyable, I never figured out who dun it. The Romantic part of the story was better then many other books I've read recently. Believable, lust filled, dramatic book with many twist and turns.
looking forward to the next book in the series ( )
  kerbytejas | Mar 25, 2016 |
Dangerous Waters
By
Toni Anderson

My"in a nutshell" summary...

Seaside village...thirty year old crimes...it sort of all comes to a full circle.

My thoughts after reading this book...

Finn and Holly...Holly and Finn...magnetic attraction from the start in spite of Holly's attempts to stay away from Finn...circumstances and events just continued to place them in each other's paths. Holly comes to the island to investigate a murder...a body with a knife embedded in its chest was found on a dive. This is where she first connects with Finn. This quaint little island holds onto a thirty year old crime...a mother and her baby were murdered...her little girl never found. When the husband/ father of the slain family sees Holly...he instantly thinks she is his long lost daughter...whew! At this point this book becomes tense, fast paced and traumatic. As with any mystery...I would never reveal the course of events...there are more scares, more deaths and an endless supply of people to suspect. And there is the possibility of a steamy romance starring Finn and Holly.
Well...probably more than a possibility.

What I loved about this book...

What's not to love...a family mystery, a tantalizing romance, and tons of suspense.

What I did not love...

I could have managed without the floating eyeball in a jar...ick...but it might have been necessary.

Final thoughts...

I wouldn't call this a cozy relaxed sort of mystery...it was more the kind of book that you just cannot stop reading until you know who did it! Fast paced, great writing, and an interesting premise all made this one exciting reading experience! ( )
  PattyLouise | Jan 23, 2013 |
Only danger is to your brain cells

When one is a connoisseur of the genre known as "trashy underwater fiction" (coined by me), novels like Toni Anderson's Dangerous Waters are the risk you take. It's simply the worst thing I've read in quite some time.

I was attracted to the novel's plot, involving two divers out of a British Columbia marine research station stumbling upon a body while on a night dive in a wreck. The death is the result of neither natural causes nor a dive accident, but rather the large knife sticking out of the victim's chest. Enter Sergeant Holly Rudd of the RCMP, eager to impress her superiors and in charge of her first big case. Of course, it would be easier to proceed if she weren't so excruciatingly attracted to Finn Carver, the former special forces soldier who found the body and is considered, by some, to be a suspect.

Because, oh yes, this is much a romance novel as a thriller! I'm going to cut to the chase here. The writing was insipid. The plot boring. The dialogue cringe-worthy. The pace plodding. The novel was neither romantic nor erotic. The only thing worse than the material itself, was the amateurish reading of the audiobook by narrator Emily Beresford. The underwater segments were the best part of the book, but overall, I'm sorry to pronounce Dangerous Waters an epic fail. ( )
  suetu | Dec 28, 2012 |
Dangerous waters has a great storyline, a well-developed plot and likable characters. I was intrigued by the setting, with the small remote town and the diving adventures. There are twists along the way, some expected and others more surprising. The story definitely held my interest and kept me turning pages.

The romance here is the main focus, with the suspense playing out in the background. That is often the case with the romantic suspense genre, but can still often have a unique and modern spin. Here the romance is very much in the vein of a Harlequin novel. And I have to admit I avoid those stories because I find the stereotypical weak-kneed female irritating. At times, Holly's swooning over Finn and her complete lack of ability to maintain professionalism grated on my nerves. I would have liked a bit more attention on the case she was working and a little less of the old stereotype.

Aside from that one issue, I enjoyed the story and wouldn't hesitate to read another of Toni Anderson's books. ( )
  Darcia | Nov 17, 2012 |

A dedicated homicide investigator goes to an isolated Canadian community determined to prove herself, and stirs up long-forgotten secrets and a searing passion that might just get her killed.

Toni Anderson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

6 wanted1 pay3 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,659,882 books! | Top bar: Always visible