Dangerous Waters by Toni Anderson

Dangerous Waters (edition 2012)

by Toni Anderson

Dangerours Waters by Toni Anderson

Dangerous Waters
By
Toni Anderson

My"in a nutshell" summary...

Seaside village...thirty year old crimes...it sort of all comes to a full circle.

My thoughts after reading this book...

Finn and Holly...Holly and Finn...magnetic attraction from the start in spite of Holly's attempts to stay away from Finn...circumstances and events just continued to place them in each other's paths. Holly comes to the island to investigate a murder...a body with a knife embedded in its chest was found on a dive. This is where she first connects with Finn. This quaint little island holds onto a thirty year old crime...a mother and her baby were murdered...her little girl never found. When the husband/ father of the slain family sees Holly...he instantly thinks she is his long lost daughter...whew! At this point this book becomes tense, fast paced and traumatic. As with any mystery...I would never reveal the course of events...there are more scares, more deaths and an endless supply of people to suspect. And there is the possibility of a steamy romance starring Finn and Holly.
Well...probably more than a possibility.

What I loved about this book...

What's not to love...a family mystery, a tantalizing romance, and tons of suspense.

What I did not love...

I could have managed without the floating eyeball in a jar...ick...but it might have been necessary.

Final thoughts...

I wouldn't call this a cozy relaxed sort of mystery...it was more the kind of book that you just cannot stop reading until you know who did it! Fast paced, great writing, and an interesting premise all made this one exciting reading experience! ( )
  PattyLouise | Jan 23, 2013 |
Only danger is to your brain cells

When one is a connoisseur of the genre known as "trashy underwater fiction" (coined by me), novels like Toni Anderson's Dangerous Waters are the risk you take. It's simply the worst thing I've read in quite some time.

I was attracted to the novel's plot, involving two divers out of a British Columbia marine research station stumbling upon a body while on a night dive in a wreck. The death is the result of neither natural causes nor a dive accident, but rather the large knife sticking out of the victim's chest. Enter Sergeant Holly Rudd of the RCMP, eager to impress her superiors and in charge of her first big case. Of course, it would be easier to proceed if she weren't so excruciatingly attracted to Finn Carver, the former special forces soldier who found the body and is considered, by some, to be a suspect.

Because, oh yes, this is much a romance novel as a thriller! I'm going to cut to the chase here. The writing was insipid. The plot boring. The dialogue cringe-worthy. The pace plodding. The novel was neither romantic nor erotic. The only thing worse than the material itself, was the amateurish reading of the audiobook by narrator Emily Beresford. The underwater segments were the best part of the book, but overall, I'm sorry to pronounce Dangerous Waters an epic fail. ( )
  suetu | Dec 28, 2012 |
Dangerous waters has a great storyline, a well-developed plot and likable characters. I was intrigued by the setting, with the small remote town and the diving adventures. There are twists along the way, some expected and others more surprising. The story definitely held my interest and kept me turning pages.

The romance here is the main focus, with the suspense playing out in the background. That is often the case with the romantic suspense genre, but can still often have a unique and modern spin. Here the romance is very much in the vein of a Harlequin novel. And I have to admit I avoid those stories because I find the stereotypical weak-kneed female irritating. At times, Holly's swooning over Finn and her complete lack of ability to maintain professionalism grated on my nerves. I would have liked a bit more attention on the case she was working and a little less of the old stereotype.

Aside from that one issue, I enjoyed the story and wouldn't hesitate to read another of Toni Anderson's books. ( )
  Darcia | Nov 17, 2012 |
This was a romantic suspense title that nicely balanced both the romance and the suspense. The story starts with a murder of a 24-year-old woman and her six week old son. Her two year old daughter disappeared at the same time. Than thirty years pass.

The woman's husband is Dr. Thom Edgefield. He has never let the unsolved case rest. He has devoted his life to harassing the police to keep working on the murder. Along the way he has reported any suspicious behavior to the police which has not endeared him to the criminals who want to use the small isolated town as a base for smuggling and distributing counterfeit money. It is a town filled with secrets.

When the body of a local low-life is found stabbed to death in an unknown shipwreck, the police are called in again. Thom and his foster son Finn Carver discover the body. Sergeant Holly Rudd of the RCMP is the investigating officer who is called in. Thom takes one look at her and faints. She is the image of his dead wife.

Holly quickly gets involved in trying to sort out the secrets of the town and, although she is incredibly drawn to Finn, she is determined not to get involved with someone who could be a suspect in the crime she is investigating. She already made the mistake of sleeping with a fellow officer (who is now her superior in this case) without knowing that he was married. She is afraid another indiscretion will ruin her police career.

Adding to the cast of characters is Finn's brother Brent who has recently got out of prison for killing their father. He did it to protect Finn who was being beaten by the man. But Brent spent twenty years in prison and is determined to keep Finn out of his life. He has become a bitter recluse who lives in a very expensive home although no one knows where his money comes from.

Honestly, the story isn't as complicated as I might be making it seem. It was a well-crafted mystery filled with interesting characters. The romance was well-done as both Finn and Holly fight their attraction to each other. Finn doesn't feel that he has much to offer Holly. But love overcomes all sorts of obstacles.

Fans of romantic suspense will really enjoy this story. I immediately went to Amazon and bought three more of her romantic suspense titles for my Kindle. ( )
  kmartin802 | Nov 12, 2012 |

A dedicated homicide investigator goes to an isolated Canadian community determined to prove herself, and stirs up long-forgotten secrets and a searing passion that might just get her killed.

Toni Anderson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

4 wanted1 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,972,619 books! | Top bar: Always visible