All This Talk of Love: A Novel by…

All This Talk of Love: A Novel (edition 2013)

by Christopher Castellani

Member:cdyankeefan
Title:All This Talk of Love: A Novel
Authors:Christopher Castellani
Info:Algonquin Books (2013), Paperback, 320 pages

All This Talk of Love by Christopher Castellani

seriously depressing! It would have helped to know that there were 2 books before this in the series! ( )
  yukon92 | Mar 9, 2014 |
I was never really able to work up much interest for this book. It sounded like it was going to be a good book but it really just fell flat. I couldn't find one character in this book that I related to or felt that was likeable. Also it felt like nothing really kept the plot together. It felt like a bunch of wandering around going nowhere. Most of the time I was just wondering what the point of this was. I would not recommend this book. ( )
  dpappas | Jun 10, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Very good book. My life was hectic so it was a bit getting into it, but thoroughly enjoyable.The writing was well-done, the descriptions vivid, and the plot interesting. ( )
  thedomestichick | Jun 6, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book as part of the Early Reviewer program. It's also the third in a triology, which wasn't mentioned prior to receiving the book, and had I known that, it probably would have made a lot more sense. This story is an exploration into the lives and culture of an Italian family.

I was surprised that some people loved this book so much. Maybe it just isn't my taste to enjoy books who don't have much of a plot other than interactions between people. I also found the characters in this book to be more annoying than interesting. ( )
  JessiAdams | Apr 27, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Maddalena and Antonio Grasso, married for fifty years, are Italian immigrants living in America . Not once have they returned to their village of Santa Cecilia to visit. Maddalena never opened the mail she received from her family. She closed the door on that part of her life. All This Talk of Love by Christopher Castellani is an in depth depiction of the Grasso family.
The Grasso's had three children, two sons and a daughter. Their first son, Tony, committed suicide. The Grasso's are a close family. Son Frankie calls Maddalena nightly to discuss the soap opera they both watch. Daughter Prima wants the entire family to go to Italy, in part to reunite Maddalena with her sister, and for Prima's sons to connect with their heritage. Even though Prima had already made all the trip arrangements Maddalena vehemently opposes the trip and refuses to go. The trip is canceled, but not because of Maddalena. Eventually, Antonio decides the trip must be made and he, Maddalena, Prima, Frankie and his girl friend travel to Santa Cecilia. It is there that the family meets both their past and their future.
This is a phenomenal, moving and powerful story. While the heart of story is family, the author eloquently gives voice to the protagonists as they try to maintain their individualities. The prose allows the reader to journey into the minds of the characters. Every member of the Grasso family views love differently. No matter. Their strength is in their mutual loyalty. The Grasso family is struck with many of same blows other families endure. It is their bond that enables them to cope with loss and the uncertainty it brings. The Grasso's are truly a family. I recommend reading this book- it is a novel that will stay with the reader for a long time.

I received this book free of charge through LibraryThing Early Reviewers and I give this review of my own free will. ( )
  SAMANTHA100 | Apr 25, 2013 |

It’s been fifty years since Antonio Grasso married Maddalena and brought her to America. That was the last time she would see her parents, her sisters and brothers—everything she knew and loved in the village of Santa Cecilia, Italy. She locked those memories away, as if Santa Cecilia stopped existing the day she left. Now, with children and grandchildren, a successful family-run restaurant, and enough daily drama at home, Maddalena sees no need to open the door to the past and let the emotional baggage and unmended rifts of another life spill out.

But Prima, Antonio and Maddalena’s American-born daughter, was raised on the lore of the old country. And as she sees her parents aging, she hatches the idea to take the entire family back to Italy—hoping to reunite Maddalena with her estranged sister and let her parents see their homeland one last time. It is an idea that threatens to tear the Grasso family apart, until fate deals them some unwelcome surprises, and their journey home becomes a necessary voyage.

Writing with warmth and grace, Chris Castellani delivers a seductive feast for readers. All This Talk of Love is an incandescent novel about sacrifice and hope, loss and love, myth and memory.

It's been fifty years since Antonio Grasso married Maddalena and brought her to America. That was the last time she saw her parents, her sisters and brothers-- everything she knew and loved in the village of Santa Cecilia, Italy. Their daughter Prima was raised on the lore of the Old Country. And as she sees her parents aging, she hatches the idea to take the entire family back to Italy-- hoping to reunite Maddalena with her estranged sister and let her parents see their homeland one last time.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

All This Talk of Love by Christopher Castellani was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,361,315 books! | Top bar: Always visible