Hokey Pokey by Jerry Spinelli

Hokey Pokey

by Jerry Spinelli

I started out thinking that this book was way too strange for me, but then I followed Kim's advice and stuck with it. It was amazing. I found myself smiling and feeling sad at the same time. I thought of all of my daughters growing from being toddlers (Snotsippers?) into starting kindergarten (Gappergums?) and then those early school years as Sillynillys. When did they become Big Kids and eventually adolescents and now adults? The author makes these transitions into a magical fantasy that I really enjoyed.

TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
Lovely and sweet. Thanks Kim! ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
This is not my favorite Jerry Spinelli novel because I'm not a fan of the stream of consciousness narrative he uses here. Nonetheless, I am dazzled by his masterful use of language and appreciate the inventive way he uses this fable-like story to capture the emotions of growing up and letting go. ( )
  Sullywriter | May 22, 2015 |
Four stars for the imagery of wild herds of bikes that roam free until captured by a kid, tantrum clouds and a baby's last diaper exploding like a firework. Delightful wordplay. Heavy nostalgia for an idealized youth that probably doesn't resonate with anyone under 40 but, I for one, am renaming my trusty bike; Scramjet. ( )
  77nanci | Jul 12, 2014 |
This was a very uniquely written story that I wasn't sure about the first 50 or so pages. Jack lives in Hokey Pokey, where there are no adults, bikes are horses meant to be tamed, and there is a snuggler to offer embraces when the going gets tough. Days are filled watching cartoons, playing games and chasing other kids. All is going the same until one day Jack wakes up and something is different. The tattoo that all kids have on their belly's seems to be fading. Spinelli wrote this tale as a way of showing what growing up is, how imagination slowly dwindles as you move from one stage of life to the next. A real fun, and interesting read! ( )
  smheatherly2 | Jun 12, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0375831983, Hardcover)

Welcome to Hokey Pokey. A place and a time, when childhood is at its best: games to play, bikes to ride, experiences to be had. There are no adults in Hokey Pokey, just kids, and the laws governing Hokey Pokey are simple and finite. But when one of the biggest kids, Jack, has his beloved bike stolen—and by a girl, no less—his entire world, and the world of Hokey Pokey, turns to chaos. Without his bike, Jack feels like everything has started to go wrong. He feels different, not like himself, and he knows something is about to change. And even more troubling he alone hears a faint train whistle. But that's impossible: every kid knows there no trains in Hokey Pokey, only tracks.

Master storyteller Jerry Spinelli has written a dizzingly inventive fable of growing up and letting go, of leaving childhood and its imagination play behind for the more dazzling adventures of adolescence, and of learning to accept not only the sunny part of day, but the unwelcome arrival of night, as well.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:37 -0400)

Ever since they were Snotsippers, Jack and the girl have fought, until one day she steals his bike and as he and the Amigos try to recover it, Jack realizes that he is growing up and must eventually leave the "goodlands and badlands of Hokey Pokey."

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,999,270 books! | Top bar: Always visible