Christmas at the Cupcake Cafe by Jenny…

Christmas at the Cupcake Cafe (edition 2012)

by Jenny Colgan

26None412,190 (3.94)1
Member:nicx27
Title:Christmas at the Cupcake Cafe
Authors:Jenny Colgan
Info:Sphere (2012), Hardcover, 400 pages
Tags:Read, December 2012, food, Christmas

Christmas at the Cupcake Café by Jenny Colgan

This book has been waiting patiently to be read by me for some months, as I couldn't really face to read a book with a title "Christmas at the Cupcake Cafe" sometime in summer. But this time has arrived and I finally found a little time to squeeze it between books that I have for review.

It was really great to say hello to Issy, Pearl, Caroline and the whole Cupcake Cafe company again. Good to see that the Cafe stands firmly on its legs and is doing good and that now it is actually private lives of all the characters that make more troubles.
Austin is being head - hunted to New York and offered a job there, while Issy has her Cafe and Austin's brother, moody Darney to take care of. Pearl is again struggling to make the both end meets Caroline is still in the process of divorcing the bastard, Helena is under her daughter's thumb and all of them are going to learn their lessons: what is really most important in life.

Issy is again a warm and funny character, full of Christmas cheer and her recipes are just great. I am myself a big cupcakes and baking fan and I really plan to try some of the delicious food that she serves. The recipes are really a fantastic bonus. But back to Issy, she's so sweet and cute that one could eat her but there is a way in this sweetness: she's also likeable, normal and she put all others before her and I'd like to have her as a friend, really, and not only because she can fantastically bake and is the owner of one of the most wonderful cafes in the world. It's just an extra.
And while I really liked the story of Issy and Austin, I couldn't be more delighted to find much more Pearl and Caroline in the book, especially Caroline, she is ridiculous, I know, but nevertheless she is also funny in this coldness, actually she is soft like a lamb's fur under the mask of cold, hard - minded woman. Helena, the sparkly and direct wonderful and funny Helena, has turned into baby - bore and mozilla - mother and I must admit, I don't know how Issy could cope with her. I have a little baby of my own but really never have I bored my friends with stories about her developing. Only if they wanted.

I have read many books that take place in New York but I think none of them has made want to go there as much as this one. all is described in a soft, subtle way and I just long to go and see this all with my own eyes. There were not many descriptions of the city but those what we got was enough for me. So next to Portofino - New York, here I come.

The end doesn't belong to my favourite ones, it was too rushed to me, I have expected and hoped for another one but well, perhaps it is time for another Issy and Cupcake Cafe's adventure? It is a perfect sequel but can also be read as a stand - alone novel, so those of you who hasn't read "Meet me at the Cupcake Cafe" should not miss anything, although I must admit that it was much more enjoyable to be able to see how the characters are doing after reading the first book. In my opinion not every book deserves a sequel, as it is trendy lately, especially in writing short stories, but here I was really glad to see the memorable characters.

Altogether, it was a warm, enjoyable Christmas read. It's comforting and it leaves you hungry and wanting a cupcake immediately. It has left me in a festive spirit. It's infused with humour and actually has all that chick - lit fans expect ( )
  Agi78 | Dec 29, 2013 |
Issy,Poud owner of the Cupcake Cafe, a quaint little cupcake shop in Stoke Newton (a district of London), couldn't be happier. Her relationship with banker entrepreneur, Austin, is blossoming; business at the cafe was booming and Christmas was around the corner.

When Austin is offered a job at a bank in New York and invites Issy and his eleven-year-old brother, Drany, to fly to New York in the hopes that Issy will fall in love with the city and consider moving to New York, the bubbles on Issy's cappuccino begins to burst. Will Issy face the possibility of a long distance relationship? Will she lose Austin to the glory of the Big Apple and a little waitress at a New York Cafe who sells awful cupcakes laden with oil and chemicals? Can Issy leave her home, her dream job that she started at the Cupcake cafe, and friends behind to start life with Austin in the Big Apple? I'll leave it to the reader to find out.

I really enjoyed this festive book. To me, Christmas at the Cupcake Cafe, is a Christmas pudding of a book......rich, dense and full of fruity flavour which burst in your mouth, flooding your taste buds with the flavours of Christmas. The characters are well-rounded and come to life. I enjoyed the scene where Pearl, one of Issy's employees is left to mind the fort at the Cupcake Cafe and train a new employee, Maya, who cant get the hang of the coffee machine, leaving unsatisfied customers waiting for their Java fix. Worse, Pearl explodes the mixer, which drips strawberry cake mix all over the walls and ceiling. I particularly liked the twist at the end where both Issy and Austin fly in opposite directions across the pond to be with each other. The book also includes tips and recipes and an excerpt from Jenny's new book, The Loveliest Chocolate shop in Paris. ( )
  TheGoldenPen | Jan 7, 2013 |
Having read and loved Meet Me At The Cupcake Cafe, I was really looking forward to this, the sequel. It can be read as a stand-alone book, but it was nice to meet up with the characters from the first book again.

This time, Austin finds himself in New York, being headhunted for a new job. Issy has a dilemma: does she go with the only man she's ever loved, or does she stay behind at her beloved Cupcake Cafe? Darny, Austin's younger brother, is being his usual awkward self, Pearl and Caroline are still rubbing each other up the wrong way at the cafe and there are cakes galore again.

This book is a lovely read, just right for the time of year. I'm really enjoying Jenny Colgan's 'foodie' books and I think she gets them just right. ( )
  nicx27 | Dec 27, 2012 |

Issy Randall, proud owner of the Cupcake Cafe, is in love and couldn't be happier. But when her boyfriend Austin is scouted for a possible move to New York, Issy is forced to face up to the prospect of a long-distance romance.

20 wanted1 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,501,598 books! | Top bar: Always visible