Lean on Me by HelenKay Dimon

Lean on Me

by HelenKay Dimon

Series: Holloway (2)

195537,190 (2.83)None

It is hard to rate audio books when you just don't like the "tone" of the story. With an audio book, a lot of the "tone" comes from the narrator's POV/performance.

This book just seemed whiny. The heroine seemed whiny even when she was saying/doing noble acts. The "comic" relief (at least I think this character was to be comic relief) seemed whiny and pitiful. The stud muffin seemed whiny. The stepfather who was in about 5 percent of the story seemed whiny.

Basic story, small town girl who made it big disses small town. The small town girl who reached the pinnacle (literally) came tumbling back down, all the way down, destitute down.

Small town boy with unrequited passions is there for small town girls when she stumbles home.

Small town boy stands staunchly against the small-town small-mindedness, until the last 30 pages where he starts to get a doubt, the doubt blows up in his face and he has to make the big mea culpa.
The mea culpa was well thought out and well done and at least the hero's whininess in this circumstance was understandable and the heroine dealt with it in a nonwhiney way.

And to the contradictory part of the review. This premise, this story, needed a much longer, much broader platform. An interesting premise with some thought-provoking issues were brought up. But they were dealt with quickly, not very satisfactorily in this small amount of pages. I will just say for a woman who says she has been living outdoors for a while, no mention is made of her cleanliness so I can only assume she is clean and smells good. That just seemed to be a plot hole.

I have heard good/great things about Ms. Dimon. I was excited to see this book on Audible. I am disappointed. I think I will give Ms. Dimon another chance. I won't be giving Gwen Hughes, the narrator, another chance without lots of research.

Oh, and I don't usually pay any attention at all to the covers of books, but this one just caught my attention. It is a cute, colorful cover. It would be perfect for a YA book. The portions of the cover models' faces that you can see look very, very young, not more than 19 or 20. They are leaning up against a wall and the female is dressed very young. It just doesn't fit the book at all to me. Both the H and the h are very physical people, outdoor lives. The young folk on this cover look like they have been inside all their lives. Just seems discordant.

Yeah, I really didn't like this book if I am picking apart someone's stank factor and the cover models' youth. ( )
  paideiamom | Sep 22, 2013 |
Rating: 4
Book Blog For: GMTA
Series: Holloway #2
Review:

"Lean On Me" by Helenkay Dimon was a good contemporary romance read that was such a fun and very engaging read that once you start it is hard to put down. "Lean on Me" setting was from a small town and there are some humorous antics from all of it like the nicknames events and the people. I found all the characters very relatable. You will be caught up in this well written story about Cassidy and Mitch. Cassidy at one time was the town's sweetheart known as a world-renowned climber until there was something she said that was unfavorable about her hometown and now she has moved back home they have never forgiven her for her remarks. Now, this is where I say that you will have to pick up the good read to find out what happens after Cassidy has to come back home because of her money situation. It seems that people in town have ideas of Cassidy but really no one really knows what happen in all of this. Cassidy has come home after she is not longer able to climb and her business manager has fun off with her money. What is she to do and go?

If you are looking for 'a small town contemporary romance series' read then I would recommend "Lean On Me" to you. ( )
  arlenadean | Jun 4, 2013 |

EllenAvondale | Mar 31, 2013 |

Ellen1213 | Mar 30, 2013 |
Reviewed for Read Your Writes Book Review Blog.

HelenKay’s website describes the Holloway series as, “A small-town contemporary romance series. The books focus on the men and women of Thomas Nurseries, a landscape company in Holloway, West Virginia, and provide an emotional and sexy story in a novella format.”

Lean on Me is the second book in the three part series. Even though this is part of a series, it isn’t necessary for you to read the first book. Since this is a novella, it consists of roughly 39,000 words and is about 111 pages long. So, it’s a pretty quick read. But somehow it’s a complete story.

Lean on Me focuses on Mitch Anders, Business Manager and co-owner of Thomas Nurseries and Cassidy Clarke, a star Mountain Climber. At one point in time, both were the town of Holloway’s (population 941) favorite son/daughter.

This is a story of how one can literally go from being on top of the world to bottom of the barrel, where people feel they have a right to judge you, without having a clue as to what’s really going on. Lean On Me is different from the other books/novellas in the series, in that it doesn’t take place during the Christmas season.

I found Lean On Me to be both heartbreaking and touching at the same time. It’s romantic and funny. It’s about overcoming your insecurities and being strong enough to stand up for yourself.

What I didn’t like about the book, which is probably what gives the book some of it’s charm, is the town gossip mill. I mean really. It’s like you cough and the whole town finds out about it in less than half an hour, but instead of you coughing, you’re dying of pneumonia.

We get reintroduced to Spence Thomas. If you read It’s Not Christmas Without You, then you might remember him. Spence is another co-owner of the nursery. His story is told in We’ll Be Home for Christmas, coming out this December. But we also get introduced to Travis Yardley, the nursery foreman. Travis was one of my favorite characters and provides a lot of comedy.

Since this is a short story, I don’t want to give too much away. But I will say, you will LOVE Mitch, who is so full of himself that he tells Cassidy immediately that they’re dating. It’s more like hi, we’re dating. You will also love Cassidy for her strength and courage. She’s a survivor in every sense of the word.

I received this book from the publisher via NetGalley for my unbiased review. ( )
  ReadYourWrites | Oct 6, 2012 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,487,299 books! | Top bar: Always visible