Accidentally Amish (Valley of Choice) by…

Accidentally Amish (Valley of Choice) (edition 2012)

by Olivia Newport

Member:Plumcat
Title:Accidentally Amish (Valley of Choice)
Authors:Olivia Newport
Info:Barbour Books (2012), Paperback, 368 pages

Accidentally Amish (Valley of Choice) by Olivia Newport

This book goes back and forth between the present and the 1700's when Jacob and his family come to the US for the first time. We learn how the presnet is connected to the past and how two complete strangers find out they are from the same family.

This book grabed me from page 1 and held my interest till the end, there were a few things that I don't think would happen, but isn't that why we read books? There were a few things that I don't believe got tied up in the end and that never sits well with me.

But a very good read, she is an author I would read again. ( )
  jnut1 | Mar 4, 2014 |
“Accidently Amish” by Olivia Newport was a book that continually surprised me throughout. I started reading about Analiese Friesen, her troubles with her software company and the crooked lawyer and the partner who were trying to take over her company, and her desire to get away from them for a while. Then I was reading about Annie stowing away in a truck bed and ending up staying with an Amish family for a time. She becomes intrigued by the fact that she has ancestors with the same surname as that of the Amish family who befriended her. The storyline then skips back and forth between the here and now and the past. I really enjoyed the novel and the way it was written. During the development of the story, Annie finds herself. I won’t say more so as not to ruin the book for another reader. I just want to say that I really enjoyed this story and would heartily recommend it.

I received a free Kindle copy of this book for my honest review from the publisher. The opinions expressed here are my own.

You can find my review on my blog: http://wp.me/p2pjIt-2N
  SilverShrew | Feb 20, 2014 |
I found this to be a captivating read...two stories in one. One back in the 1700's and the other in modern time Colorado.
Annie Friesen, is a very smart and rich software creator. When her lawyer decides to steal from her, she is on the run from him, and ends up in the back of a pickup. From there she lands on an Amish farm, sleeping in the barn.
Jacob and Verona Beyeler and their 5 children, start their story on the ship to America and to Pennsylvania and religious freedom. When we read at the end of the book that this is actually the author's relatives...how interesting!
Annie encounters Rufus Beyler and finds as she goes along her growing fondness for him. Loved the relationship forged between Ruth and Annie. So sweet...and Rufus's family are great.
I see that this is a three part series, and I hope that some of my unanswered questions are going to be answered. Will Annie become Amish? Will Ruth return to her community? Will Rufus leave and marry Annie? What about that evil man Karl Kramer? There are more? Can't wait for the next book!!

I received this book from the publisher Barbour Books, and was not required to give a positive review. ( )
  alekee | Nov 25, 2012 |
I have never read anything from this author but the story line was alright as far as Amish books go. There seems to be coming out of the wood works with new authors writing about the Amish.
This one was a little different as a non Amish young woman Annie Friesen worked at creating software for computers and she moves in with an Amish family to get away from her scheming partner, but in this family she started to fall for one of the men Rufus Beiler but he has problems of his own with his work after a competitor accused him of something wrong.
Annie begins to meddle into the Amish affairs that she has no business doing and was about to get thrown out of her home with the Amish. She has no idea what she will do if she has to go back to her high tech job. She is torn between two worlds which will she choose?

This story is a little confusing to me as I am a senior and my mind kinda wanders sometime. But it is an ok read and I want to thank Barbour Publishing for sending it to me to read and to review.
  EdnaT | Oct 10, 2012 |
Review: Accidentally Amish by Olivia Newport
4 STARS This book is a little bit different as it followed almost 3 storylines in one. I liked it even though I cried in parts. Thier was no sex scenes or swearing. Annie Friesen was scared of her lawyer and boyfriend. He tried to sneak extra papers for her to sign. He wanted to go to a meeting with her and she kept saying no. In fact she planned not to go but to leave town and go to where a rental car would be thier. But Rick followed her and when it was clear she was not going to the meeting kept calling her,texting her and was getting closer. She was figuring another way to get around him and parked in a hotel and threw the woods she could hear him shouting at her. She saw a truck in a different lot and it had a tarp she crawled in between the lumber and went where ever the truck was going. She heard a lot of the talking between the two men when they stopped. She snuck out when one men dropped off the other. Annie saw a barn it was night time and dark really dark. The horses made noises and when Rufus came to check found her. Annie told him she stowed away and asked where she was at. He told her she was close to small town and she could spend the night. He went and got her blankets and she slept in the straw. The next morning Annie was still thier when Rufus little brother and mother saw her so was invited in for breakfast. Annie with her cell phone could get the internet and she also got it on laptop but after a day she needed to plug in soon. She moved to the motel and stayed thier till a accident left her with concussion and hurt back. Rufus took her back to his family home. Annie was really attracked to Rufus and she loved the peace but she had a hard time with some of his beliefs of turning the other cheek. It Flashes back to when Rufus ancestors came to this country and some of the experiences they had. The choices they all made back then and how it affects the ones Annie faces now. The other story is Ruth and the choices she made to go to school to be a nurse. The story did not end with everything wrapped up. Would love to read more about Annie journey as she learns more about the Amish and want to know more about Ruth. I was given this ebook to read in exchange for honest review from Netgalley. 10/01/2012 PUB Barbour Publishing, Inc. ( )
  rhonda1111 | Oct 6, 2012 |

"When software creator Annie Friesen needs to protect her intellectual property from her scheming partner, she escapes the chaos of Colorado Springs for the hospitality of an Amish family in San Luis Valley. Annie's own ancestral connection to early Amish settlers unfolds in a story within a story, and her worlds collide ... especially when she feels an attraction to her host, Rufus Beiler. A cabinetmaker by trade, Rufus has troubles of his own. Because of a competitor's false accusations, his business is in jeopardy. And so is his family, ever since his sister, Ruth, left the Amish community in a shroud of questions. Now Annie, an outsider, begins meddling in affairs that don't concern her. When Rufus tells her she can't continue to hide among the Amish forever, Annie is torn. Will she return to her accomplishments in the high-tech, modern culture of Colorado Springs or remain with Rufus and the humble simplicity of the San Luis Valley Amish?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,395,067 books! | Top bar: Always visible