Don't Be a Hero: A Superhero Novel by…

Don't Be a Hero: A Superhero Novel (edition 2012)

by Chris Strange

11None814,101 (4.19)None
Member:leahdawn
Title:Don't Be a Hero: A Superhero Novel
Authors:Chris Strange
Info:Cheeky Minion (2012), Kindle Edition, 374 pages
Tags:Member Giveaways, fiction, ebook, adventure

Don't Be a Hero: A Superhero Novel by Chris Strange

First off let me say I really enjoyed this book! It was fasted paced, and action packed with a lot of interesting detail!
But I also need to say that, since it was a book about superheroes, I thought it might also be good for kids…and I’m glad I read it before recommending it to a young person as I feel it has some strong language and some very awkward and unnecessary sex scenes that make it unsuitable for kids!!
Back to my liking the story…I really enjoyed the relationship between Spook and The Carpenter a lot! It was very real. Both having loved ones that were scared and angry to have them go off and fight, or maybe just not feeling involved enough, these are things that, it seems, may happen. Or the fact that they, especially Spook, didn’t always feel like doing the “right” thing for people that hated meta humans and didn't want them around for the most part. Made them easy to relate to.
All the characters were very well flushed out with interesting back-stories. ( )
  dolphinchick | Oct 23, 2013 |
What if the world isn't always black and white but full of shades of gray. That is the premise for Don'te Be a Hero. In a time of war superheroes emerge to take away the blackness that war brings. Metahumans can be both good and evil. Superheroes were much loved and hated by other metahumans and normals. Supercriminals always want to rule the world yet come up short in the end. Gloomgirl now named Spook along with her partner The Carpenter take on a case of a missing child. Yet they are not told everything they need which is a great hindrance. There is a new criminal on the loose named Quanta trying to get the heroes to return. Quanta doesn't want to be seen in a bad light yet that is what he's planned for. To Quanta's mind the heroes are all but forgotten. Can the missing child be found? Will Spook and Carpenter rescue the child? What is Quanta's ultimate goal? Will the heroes return? Your answers await you in Don't Be a Hero.

I really enjoyed the whole shades of gray concept in regards to heroes and villians. You constantly wanted to cheer and yell at the heroes for screwing up like they do. I found that all the characters were relatable and rea. I really enjoy Mr. Strange's work and will definitely continue to read what the author writes next. ( )
  WolfFaerie17 | Jan 25, 2013 |
I received this book as a Member Giveaway.
A dark superhero crime novel, Chris Strange's "Don't be a Hero" explores a world where superheroes exist, but only grudgingly. Former heroes Spook and the Carpenter get by as under-the-table private investigators, until they are hired to solve a kidnapping. But the job unravels when the duo discover the kidnapper is a super-villain with a diabolical plan to bring super-humans (metas) back to the attention of a distrusting and disinterested society.
Strange does a good job of creating an interesting, reality-based universe, which is quite challenging in a genre that is so popular and widely explored. While some characters and actions seem familiar (eg- absorbing powers from brain matter a la Syler from Heroes), most characters and scenarios are fairly original. The level of violence is a bit more than I usually like, but it does give the novel a very gritty, noir kind of feel.
Overall, I would recommend "Don't Be a Hero" for anyone who enjoys a good crime novel and/or the superhero genre. It's an exciting read that I simply couldn't put down until it was done. ( )
  leahdawn | Dec 14, 2012 |
This is the first superhero story I have read in the novel form (although I am currently listening to the audio book of Ex-Heroes: 1) and I absolutely loved it. I am a big fan of superheroes in any medium, and it was refreshing seeing it done like this.

I think I should mention that there isn't a lot of originality in some of the bigger stories, e.g. the origins of superheroes, and the whole people don't like superheroes so they have to become registered etc. HOWEVER, the story revels in the fact that these stories have been done before. The writing throughout is fantastic, and it really is fun to read. The powers vary greatly, many of them have been done a million times already, however I did like the two main characters superpowers. I would say that while both are takes on other powers that have been done before, they still stood out as being fairly unique.

I never felt that this story took itself too seriously, to read it your sense of realism had to be stretched. But that's what superhero stories are all about. I was hooked throughout reading it. Despite the cliched story lines there were plenty of surprises, and I never found myself bored as I read it.

At the start of each chapter was a small paragraph, detailing superheroes, their powers, and their current whereabouts (many of whom are now dead, mostly of cancer). I can almost picture the author, Chris Strange, sitting down and coming up with hundreds of hero's and villains and their powers. And having great fun as he did so.

I loved this story, and will be looking out for more from Chris Strange. Highly recommended to comic book fans, or superhero movie fans. ( )
  NickDevonald | Nov 22, 2012 |
I really struggled with my rating for this book. There are many things to love about this book, and just as many things that drove me crazy. Let me just get this out of the way and say that the story is horribly, terribly unoriginal, and the choice to have it set in New Zealand just didn't sit well. I'm just saying that if I were a super villain and I wanted to really make a statement to the world, I'd pick a major city, in a major country that people care about.

Ok, with that out of the way, I really did like this book. The characters were engaging and the story managed to move along fairly well. There were a few points that had me guessing, and the author really gave the villain and the main hero some real depth. I don't have a lot of time to read books as I work full time and am a full time student, but on the more than one occasion I found myself staying up just a little later than I should have because I wanted to read just one more chapter. All of my criticism aside, that is definitely the sign of a book worth reading. ( )
  madeux | Nov 22, 2012 |

C. R. Hindmarsh is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,426,603 books! | Top bar: Always visible