Edgewood: (Edgewood Series) (Volume 1) by…

Edgewood: (Edgewood Series) (Volume 1) (edition 2012)

by Karen McQuestion

Member:RavenswoodPublishing
Title:Edgewood: (Edgewood Series) (Volume 1)
Authors:Karen McQuestion
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 324 pages
Rating:*****

Edgewood: (Edgewood Series) (Volume 1) by Karen McQuestion

Although this is a YA novel, I really enjoyed it - many years beyond YA! Thanks Karen. ( )
  fdrury | Oct 5, 2014 |
Russ Becker has insomnia and has found that the only way he can get to sleep is to roam the town late at night when almost everyone else is sleeping. He does this so often, that he’s found certain houses along his route where other people are up late as well. He likes to go by those houses and glance in the windows, feeling a sense of camaraderie with the others who, like him, are not sleeping at that late hour. After he walks his route, he is able to go home and go to sleep. Otherwise, he’s a normal teenager, looking forward to getting his driver’s license soon, going to school and studying and dealing with the ordinary things teenagers have to deal with, like parents and homework.

One night, during his late night walking, he sees some sort of astronomical event, similar to a meteor shower, but different. These meteors are falling to the earth, and they don’t look quite like meteors, they glow. So, he decides to try to find where they are landing and get a better look at them. When he finds the spot they are landing in, he sees that they are arranged in a spiral shape on the ground and they are all giving off a beautiful glow. He walks into the center and notices he feels wonderful standing there, like they give off some kind of energy. He stays for a while, then goes back home and goes to bed.

The next day in school, he keeps thinking about the night before. While he is in science class, waiting for the teacher to show up, he starts doodling in his notebook and draws the spiral shape the stones were arranged in. The pretty girl in front of him, who never paid any attention to him before, suddenly seems very interested in what he is drawing. She starts asking him questions about it, but the teacher comes in shortly thereafter. The teacher starts talking about an astronomical event that happened last night and offers rewards, such as extra credit, if anyone will talk about seeing it. Russ is reluctant to say anything for fear he will get into trouble for being out so late. None of the other students seem to have seen it, and the teacher begins offering bigger rewards. Russ is also suspicious because there was nothing on the news about this event and the teacher seems almost desperate to find someone who saw it.

This is how Edgewood starts out. The mystery builds from there. Why is this girl so interested in Russ all of a sudden and why is the science teacher trying so hard to find someone who saw the event? Eventually Russ learns that he now has the power to heal himself and others. He also finds other teens that have seen a similar event and have powers of their own. There is evidence though that a secret organization may be after them, and this organization will go to any lengths to get the teens to work for them.

Edgewood was a really good book. It was suspenseful, the characters had depth. I felt genuinely concerned for Russ and his friends. It kept me guessing about who they could trust. There were surprises throughout the book, and hints that things are not as they seem. I’m looking forward to reading the next book in the series, Wanderlust, because I’m betting it will be even better than Edgewood was. At times, Edgewood seemed to drag a little, but I think that’s just because the story had to be built. There are many characters who are well-developed, and that takes time. Despite the occasional drag, Edgewood was very enjoyable and interesting. I don’t normally read sci-fi books, so I was a little concerned I wouldn’t like it, but I really did. The build up to the ending was great; I was on the edge of my seat rooting for Russ to make it through the challenges. I have suspicions that Russ’ sister knows a lot more than she has told Russ so far. Read this one, even if you don’t like sci-fi. If you like mystery and suspense, you’ll like Edgewood. You can find more of my reviews at http://bookwormbookreviews.com ( )
  Aeroette | Sep 26, 2014 |
I received a signed copy of this book in a Goodreads giveaway which was exciting.

This book is about a group of teenagers who develop some abilities and discover that they are wanted by a mysterious organization. Action and intrigue ensue.

In Short: I really enjoyed this book- I definitely plan on picking up Wanderlust- the action was great and so were the characters. The twists were good and i even have some theories about where the story may be going next.

If you enjoy Science Fiction and YA then I would definitely recommend this book.

Rebecca790 | Sep 21, 2013 |
TITLE: "Edgewood"
AUTHOR: Karen McQuestion
PUBLISHER: Self-Published
RATING: 5
AGE: 14+

REVIEW: I don't know exactly what it is, but lately I have really been getting into the fantasy, science fiction, young adult novels and finding them extremely entertaining. I would have to say that in comparison, "Edgewood" strikes me as a cross between " I Am Number Four" and "Hunger Games."

The main story focuses on "Russ Becker" as he suffers from bouts of insomnia that lead him on late night walks around his community; one night in particular finds him witnessing a phenomenon that only happens every 100 years and will change his ordinary life forever.

The characters shine in this novel and are not only believable but masterfully written. Karen McQuestion is an amazing author, one who's creations I intend to continue to read. ( )
  RavenswoodPublishing | Nov 5, 2012 |
It is official Karen McQuestion has earned herself a spot in my Favorite Authors List. I always knew that Karen was quite talented, but had not read her books until recently. I dove into The Long Way Home shortly after it was released and I fell in love. Karen writes so beautifully; great characters, great setting, great dialogue...the whole package. So I was thinking, authors can't hit it out of of the park all the time can they?

Well yes. I then read Easily Amused and also really enjoyed that as well. I was thinking this Karen can really write. So when I saw that she stepping away from her woman's lit type of stuff and wrote a YA paranormal novel I thought "I need to read this". I was so blown away by Karen's ability to get me engrossed in yet another great novel.

Edgewood takes place in small town Wisconsin, in a town named Edgewood. Russ Becker witnesses an event that subsequently changes the path of his life. Edgewood has an amazing cast of characters, a story that is original, engrossing, funny, interesting and fun to read. It has danger, a bit of mystery and twists and turns that keep you burning thorough the book. I am so beyond excited that this is a series. Paranormal books are such a great escape from the day to day grind and who knows, maybe we all have secret magical abilities that we have yet to discover..... ( )
  Mrsmommybooknerd | Oct 6, 2012 |

Russ Becker thinks he's like everyone else, until the night he witnesses a strange astronomical event and discovers he's been given incredible abilities. As he learns to embrace his new talents, Russ meets three other young people who have secrets and powers of their own. When the four learn they are being hunted, and Russ's family is put in peril, he's forced to take action or risk losing everything important to him.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,391,898 books! | Top bar: Always visible