Divine Justice by Cheryl Kaye Tardif

Divine Justice (edition 2011)

by Cheryl Kaye Tardif

Member:lilfries
Title:Divine Justice
Authors:Cheryl Kaye Tardif
Info:Imajin Books (2011), Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Mystery

Divine Justice by Cheryl Kaye Tardif

An excellent read, part 2 of the Divine Trilogy. ( )
  lilfries | Sep 16, 2014 |
Sequel, but in reality a prequel, to the her previous book Divine Intervention we see the return of PSI Agent Jasmine MacLellan chasing a serial killer targeting Members of Parliament. However, the majority of the story is told while Jasi is in a coma and replays the case that brought her team together months before. An interesting twist I must say, one that worked out brilliantly. Most authors who write prequel novels aren't very successful, usually I find because the characters are too developed when they start the series to go backwards. Perhaps because this is only Ms. Tardif's second book in the series it made it easier to de-flesh (sounds way more grotesque than I meant) the characters.

However she meant the story to unfold I was pleasantly creeped out and interested by the story. As a somewhat spoiler to the tale we have a Canadian MP murdered in the most horrific manner: beaten, set on fire and drowned. Then another ends up the same way and there are no clues that link the two and no clues on how it was accomplished with the apparent cooperation of the victims. I liked this twist. I'll be honest though, I got it right away when I saw the link between the two but it didn't spoil the rest of the story and how they came to the conclusions. Also when the first inkling of a suspect cropped up the twist to eliminate wasn't strong enough and I had my doubts, but there was enough doubt to make it almost surprising. I do wonder though if the bad guy survived and if we'll see him again? I think this would be most interesting since we don't know how many "pupa" (you'll need to read the book to understand) are still out there and the control he may have!

I'll be looking for more in this series, and if/when I get time to read exclusively for pleasure (school starts again in two weeks!) I will be looking to try her other stories as well. I do recommend the book, even if you read this one before Divine Intervention (although I recommend you read them both and in order) and anyone who likes a good psychological thriller with a psychic twist will enjoy Ms. Tardif's books! ( )
  cwaldrum | Aug 22, 2012 |
Published by Imajin Books
Review based on eBook

A prequel within a sequel, answers to questions considered from Divine Intervention with its many references to The Parliament Murders. This second book begins with an unconscious leader of a PSI team of the Canadian Federal Bureau of Investigation (CFBI), Jasmine (Jasi) McLellan. She has been hospitalized after the gunshot wound she received in the previous book went sour and developed a serious blood infection. Even worse, it was discovered on this second trip to hospital that she also had a concussion with brain swelling. Doctors are non-committal at this point, but a threat does hang over her that if they can't stop the infection from spreading to her heart, they are looking at amputation. This is enough to terrify her friend and co-worker, Victim Empath Natassia Prushenko, and seriously affect her other partner Ben Roberts, top profiler and Psychometic Empath. Three months have gone by since Natassia joined the PSI team, working on the case that had been solved only weeks ago, leaving Jasi with her injuries. In her coma, she is living in the prequel, reliving The Parliament Murders, while friends and family are living in the sequel to the first book. They are in the present, which happens to be July, 2012.

I am one reader of probably a large number of readers who really wanted to learn the story of The Parliament Murders, and now we have it. Cheryl Kaye Tardif has whet our appetites and then come through with a great read to digest! I love this concept, giving us the earlier story through Jasi's coma, and perhaps her subconscious feelings of guilt. At the same time we are getting snippets of what is happening with the rest of the team waiting and watching over her. The high suspense factor of The Parliament Murders is heart-pounding and the desperation to solve the case is every bit as exciting, though told through Jasi's mind. Someone is killing off the Canadian Members of Parliament in Ottawa, one by one, and doing a nasty job of it, too. What is the connection between the victims? A reason doesn't seem to be forthcoming. This is the case that bothers Jasi so much. The story is well focused, fast-paced, a real thriller. The action and race against time happening in Jasi's mind is underscored by the perception of the slow passage of time by her friends, family, and medical staff, waiting, fearing. A dramatic conflict of perceived time.

One thing I like about series is how the characters grow and become familiar. It's somewhat like adding people to your group of friends or family. This is also true in a working community, especially in a high risk group who provide a safety net for each others' lives. These PSI investigators are definitely a family, tuned in to each member's needs, and abilities. We met them in Divine Intervention and learn a little more about them as they wait for Jasi to wake up. Another great psi-fi thriller from Cheryl Kaye Tardif. ( )
1 vote readerbynight | Jun 2, 2011 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 192699700X, Paperback)

CFBI Agent and Pyro-Psychic Jasi McLellan battles a serious infection that threatens to claim her life. Slipping in and out of consciousness, she remembers the Parliament Murders...

One by one, members of Ontario's Parliament are disappearing, only to be found days later, disoriented and drugged. Or worse--dead. Police are stumped and the CFBI brings in a covert PSI team, agents with special psychic abilities.

Accompanied by Psychometric Empath Ben Roberts and new team member Victim Empath Natassia Prushenko, Jasi heads for Ottawa and uncovers a plot so devious that Canada's national security is at risk. If that isn't enough to deal with, Jasi bumps into old flame, Zane Underhill, who wants to rekindle their relationship that ended three years earlier.

But the investigation takes precedent and Jasi is forced to place her feelings for Zane on hold in order to find a killer who has more than justice in mind for his victims, and in the end she makes a gut-wrenching decision--one that will cost the life of someone close to her.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:51 -0400)

Cheryl Kaye Tardif is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,408,129 books! | Top bar: Always visible