How to Get Filthy Rich in Rising Asia: A…

How to Get Filthy Rich in Rising Asia: A Novel

by Mohsin Hamid

Recently added bySWade0126, private library, JeffCoster, A-S, Pawelek, Lauconn, decaturmamaof2

English (89)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (91)
A window into the rapid changes in Asian cities (in this case Pakistan). A self-help parody, Hamid exposes a kind of idealistic cynicism about financial success in 'rising Asia'.
  JRCornell | Nov 17, 2018 |
Gimmicky conceit of a self-help guide for a peasant turned tycoon. Meant to be a window into the rapid changes in Asian cities (in this case Pakistan) and a universal parable on the trajectory of life and death, but really it was a compendium of cliches. Won't deny that the closing pages were somewhat affecting as the protagonist and the 'pretty girl' found peace and self-acceptance as relatively impoverished geriatrics. All very superficial though. ( )
  cabron55 | Nov 16, 2018 |
Hamid breaks all the rules in writing this novel - undeveloped characters, little dialog, little detail in the setttings, a plot that is merely a broad outline. I have no idea how he managed to make this book a compelling, moving experience, but he pulled it off. It took about half the book for me to get used to his unusual second person writing style, but then I was well and truly hooked. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
Interesting format....the beginning of each chapter reads like a self-help book directed at "you" that morphs into the story of "you" and your family and the way "you" rise from dirt poor to Filthy Rich. Captivating and very creative! ( )
  BooksForYears | Oct 24, 2017 |
So-so overall. The most interesting part as seeing into a culture I know little about. ( )
  cambernard90 | Apr 12, 2017 |
It’s a love story and a study of seismic social change. It parodies a get-rich-quick book and gestures to a new direction for the novel, all in prose so pure and purposeful it passes straight into the bloodstream. It intoxicates.
added by zhejw | editNew York Times, Parul Sehgal (Mar 29, 2013)

Novelist Mohsin Hamid lives in Lahore, Pakistan, quite some distance from the Long Island of Jay Gatsby. But his new novel — his third and, I think, best so far — reminded me of F. Scott Fitzgerald's quintessential American work. As I read this novel about the dark and light of success in a world of social instability, I kept asking myself how much I might be inflating the value of Hamid's novel by rating it so highly. After all, this story takes the form of a gimmick, and gimmicks usually work against real quality....

[T]his tale of an unscrupulous striver may bring to mind a globalized version of The Great Gatsby. Given the unabashed gimmickry of Hamid's how-to design, it's a pleasant surprise to find that his book is nearly that good.
added by zhejw | editNPR, Alan Cheuse (Feb 27, 2013)

Mohsin Hamid’s audacious novels have changed the way we see Pakistan. His electrifying new work is his most impressive yet... But Mohsin Hamid is one of the most talented and formally audacious writers of his generation, and his electrifying new novel, How to Get Filthy Rich in Rising Asia, successfully (if satirically) follows, in its structure and in the voice of its narrator, the self-help format.

In this one he essays a touching love story between the protagonist and a beautiful village girl who uses her physical attributes to build her own wealth. But love is a luxury in conditions of economic struggle. The pair remain tantalisingly estranged for much of the book, only finding each other when – tellingly – they abandon their material ambitions.

If Hamid set out to write a satire on the globalised dream of consumer-driven economic development, he ends up being undermined by the strength of his characters. You can't help but root for them in their perilous climb out of the mire of penury, while all the time being relieved that you are not really "you".

For Zahra
Look, unless you're writing one, a self-help book is an oxymoron.
We are all refugees from our childhoods. And so we turn, among other things, to stories. To write a story, to read a story, is to be a refugee from the state of refugees. Writers and readers seek a solution to the problem that time passes, that those who have gone are gone and those who will go, which is to say every one of us, will go. For there was a moment when anything was possible. And there will be a moment when nothing is possible. But in between we can create

"[A] tale of a man's journey from impoverished rural boy to corporate tycoon, [stealing] its shape from the business self-help books devoured by ambitious youths all over 'rising Asia'"--Dust jacket flap.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Mohsin Hamid's book How to Get Filthy Rich in Rising Asia was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,669,871 books! | Top bar: Always visible