The Knife and The Wound It Deals [ebook] by…

The Knife and The Wound It Deals [ebook] (edition 2012)

by B.E. Scully

Member:MyriadBooks
Title:The Knife and The Wound It Deals [ebook]
Authors:B.E. Scully
Info:Firbolg Publishing (2012), ebook (PDF), 254 pages
Collections:Reviews only, Short stories, eBooks
Rating:***
Tags:[*reviewed], fiction, horror, short stories,

The Knife and The Wound It Deals by B.E. Scully

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this e-book through the ER program. I was only able to finish a couple stories before I dropped my Nook and broke it. I was unable to finish the rest of the book.

The stories I read were dark and intriguing. I usually don't read many short stories but I liked the author's style and the creepiness of his stories. I wish I could finish the rest of them. ( )
  cal8769 | Oct 27, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
An excellent collection of unusual and unsettling short stories. Well worth reading and I look forward to reading more from this author. ( )
  Heptonj | Jan 2, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I kind of feel bad. The Knife and The Wound It Deals is getting really high reviews from every other reader, but I found it rather meh. The stories are diverse and compelling, but I had a really hard time reading around the ARC's formatting issues. The text laid out on my ereader with a line break a few words into every second line, a handful of seemingly random words were given hyperlinks that lead nowhere, and changes in point of view or setting aren't weren't the slightest visual separation cue, even something as little as a paragraph break. Rather than falling immersed into Scully's stories, I spent my time paging back and forth trying to figure out if I was in a new scene or if someone new had entered a conversation.

Two stars. Scully is a writer worth following, and I suspect I would have been happier with her stories if I had encountered them in a more accommodating medium.

Note that I read an ARC PDF for this review and that the formatting issues that so bothered me might not feature in a finished copy. ( )
  MyriadBooks | Dec 17, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The knife and the wound it deals has a variety of short stories that can appeal to many readers. Unfortunately I like my horror more bloody and harsh. The Gothic style most of the stories have is too tame, more psychological than anything. That being said there is some very good writing here and an understanding of the "real" horror of humanity. The aspects described in each story are disturbing but subtle. Covering obsession, death, revenge and more each story focus' on those traits we find in ourselves if we dare to look closely enough. A brief glimpse into the madness that makes us tick and compels humans be their worst. ( )
  PIGGIRL7 | Dec 14, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a nice anthology. The author had a wide variety of styles that is sure to appeal to anyone who like dark tales. I have seen some comparisons to Poe and I don't think that's too far off the mark.

Well done. ( )
  Spiceca | Dec 7, 2012 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Knife and the Wound It Deals by B.E. Scully was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,945,515 books! | Top bar: Always visible