The Knife and The Wound It Deals [ebook] by…

The Knife and The Wound It Deals [ebook] (edition 2012)

by B.E. Scully

1917537,190 (4.53)1
Member:MyriadBooks
Title:The Knife and The Wound It Deals [ebook]
Authors:B.E. Scully
Info:Firbolg Publishing (2012), ebook (PDF), 254 pages
Collections:Reviews only, Short stories, eBooks
Rating:***
Tags:[*reviewed], fiction, horror, short stories,

The Knife and The Wound It Deals by B.E. Scully

The Knife and The Wound it Deals is a short story collection by author B. E. Scully, I knew nothing of the author when I began to read and had purposely avoided all the information already available online.

The first story, ‘The Thing Lives’, carried me through a tram ride in an overcrowded carriage into Manchester city centre, causing me to almost miss my stop. Will Aughten is a man who doesn’t live, he merely exists, terrified that he will unleash his closely guarded secret on the world. In the end he finds a far more terrifying truth.

In ‘Age Will Be Responsible’, fate comes back to take her revenge against an aged miscreant.

‘Earth Shall Return Them’ is the type of tale passed down from generation to generation, of ancient won epic battles.

‘The Devil’s in the Details’, asks how far would you go, what would you sacrifice in order to achieve success.

There is proper psychological horror here, subtle and sharp, the type that chills you to the bone and makes your heart beat faster, your nerves ache and requires you to check that the front door is double locked one last time, as opposed to ‘Saw gore fiction’, that is meant to turn your stomach. Not all of the stories are meant to induce chills, however, in the sad but sweet,’Animal Undertaking’, an elderly lady takes charge of her own end,’ and in ‘Released’, love finds a way to transcend all barriers.

It is my opinion that someone who can pull off a great engaging short story is probably a better writer than someone who can write a decent novel. There is less room for filler, more need for the sharply observed solid character and tighter plotting required.

Fascinatingly B. E. Scully changes voice in each and every story making it seem as if each one was authored by a different writer. Each voice is as authentic as the last. So many of these stories could have been full length novels.

‘The Suffering Other’, ‘Age Will Be Responsible’ and ‘Lucky 13′ were amongst my favourites, and many of the stories lingered in my imagination for days afterwards.

This is a collection written with a deft hand, best read alone, where the floorboards creak the loudest.

I want to read it again. I will read it again.

I received this collection after being contacted by the publisher on 28th Dec 2013, freely received for an honest review. The only information I had prior to reading was that provided by the publisher. ( )

Urthwild | Nov 29, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this e-book through the ER program. I was only able to finish a couple stories before I dropped my Nook and broke it. I was unable to finish the rest of the book.

The stories I read were dark and intriguing. I usually don't read many short stories but I liked the author's style and the creepiness of his stories. I wish I could finish the rest of them. ( )
  cal8769 | Oct 27, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
An excellent collection of unusual and unsettling short stories. Well worth reading and I look forward to reading more from this author. ( )
  Heptonj | Jan 2, 2013 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Knife and the Wound It Deals by B.E. Scully was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,483,439 books! | Top bar: Always visible