Courting Cate (The Courtships of Lancaster…

Courting Cate (The Courtships of Lancaster County) (edition 2012)

by Leslie Gould

Member:laholmes
Title:Courting Cate (The Courtships of Lancaster County)
Authors:Leslie Gould
Info:Bethany House Publishers (2012), Paperback, 352 pages
Rating:*****

Courting Cate (The Courtships of Lancaster County) by Leslie Gould

The premise was plausible, but not completely believable, although even in this day and age, I suppose an Amish father could make a proclamation like Cate's father did here. I liked Cate and Pete well enough, but the rest of the main cast of characters, I didn't care for or connect with. I thought Betsy was one of the most selfish young girls I've ever read about. Her treatment of Cate was downright mean at times. Cate's development and progression were believable however and I did enjoy seeing her progress from feisty, angry Cate to sweet Cate.

There were times when I almost felt like this was part of an established series, rather than the first in a new series with some of the character discussions and explanations. While I can appreciate the Taming of the Shrew theme here, this was one that I almost didn't finish, because I just didn't like some of the secondary characters and their treatment of Cate. I will look into the rest of the series and hope future books capture my attention more than this one did as sometimes happens with series'. ( )
  2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |

2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |
In the beginning, I thought Cate was a very stubborn sort of woman, but as I continued reading, I began to see that the things she experienced in life affected her severely and shaped her outlook on life. I believe she unfairly judged herself by the circumstances beyond her control and unintentionally made things harder on herself. But the book is well worth the read and I found the ending quite satisfactory. ( )
  caslater83 | Jul 24, 2015 |
Enjoyed this book, quick read kept my interest. ( )
  Grandy | Oct 14, 2014 |
An Amish story depicting misunderstanding/assumption/insecurity. With a new twist on "The Taming of the Shrew," it was a clean romance book. Well written characters with flaws and virtues that allowed the reader to see that everyone faces problems and have real emotions that they may struggle with. Overall a good stand alone book. ( )
  Passion1kiss | Apr 12, 2014 |

In Paradise, Pennsylvania, Cate Miller is known more for her sharp tongue and fiery temper than her striking appearance. Her sweet and flirty sister, Betsy, on the other hand, seems to have attracted most of the bachelors in Lancaster County!

But the sisters' wealthy father has made one hard-and-fast rule: older Cate must marry first, before younger Betsy can even start courting. Unfortunately, untamable Cate has driven away every suitor—until Pete Treger comes to town, that is.

Prodded by the men of the area, Pete turns his attention to winning Cate's hand. But is his interest true or is there a scheme at play?

#1 Bestselling Author Leslie Gould Delivers a New Amish Romance Series

When Amish farmer Pete Treger moves to Paradise Township, Pennsylvania, seeking a better life, he meets sisters Cate and Betsy Miller. Both are beautiful, but older sister Cate is known more for her sharp tongue and fiery temper than her striking appearance. Betsy, on the other hand, is sweet and flirty--and seems to have attracted most of the bachelors in Lancaster County!

However, the sisters' wealthy father has made one hard and fast rule: elder sister must marry first, before the younger can even start courting. Unfortunately for poor Betsy, and for the men who want to court her, her older sister, Cate, doesn't have any suitors--until Pete comes to town, that is.

Though he finds both sisters attractive, something about Cate's feisty demeanor appeals to him. Soon the other bachelors in the district convince Pete to court Cate. She hardly seems receptive to his overtures, though. Instead, she's immediately suspicious of his interest.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:15 -0400)

Cate Miller has scared off every suitor. Pete Troyer has never failed at anything. Could he be the one to finally tame the fiery Cate?

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Courting Cate by Leslie Gould was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,261,452 books! | Top bar: Always visible