Change of Fortune, A by Jen Turano

Change of Fortune, A (edition 2012)

by Jen Turano

Member:kathleen.morrow
Title:Change of Fortune, A
Authors:Jen Turano
Info:Bethany House Publishers (2012), Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:**
Tags:Christian Fiction, Romance

A Change of Fortune by Jen Turano (Author)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Jen Turano

Book Summary: Lady Eliza Sumner is on a mission. After losing her family, her fiance, and her faith, the disappearance of her fortune is the last straw. Now, masquerading as Miss Eliza Sumner, governess-at-large, she's determined to find the man who ran off with her fortune, reclaim the money, and head straight back to London. Much to Mr. Hamilton Beckett's chagrin, all the eyes of New York society--all the female ones, at least--are on him. Unfortunately for all the matchmaking mothers and eligible daughters, he has no plans to marry again, especially with his hands full keeping his business afloat and raising his two children alone. When Eliza's hapless attempts to regain her fortune put her right in Hamilton's path, sparks instantly begin to fly. The discovery of a common nemesis causes them to join forces, but with all their plans falling by the wayside and their enemies getting the better of them, it will take a riot of complications for Hamilton and Eliza to realize that God just might have had a better plan in mind all along.

Review: This was a great book! I loved Hamilton and Eliza. There were many great secondary characters in this well paced story. From page 5 I was hooked. I read almost half in a couple of hours. The suspense was tempered right along with the witty dialogue. Agatha was fantastic! I can not wait to read her story. There was so much happening that it made for a fast and easy read where I did not want it to end. The children Piper and Ben were realistic and likable. I wonder why I have not devoured the rest of this series. I do believe that Ms. Turano is a very gifted writer who was able to keep my attention, have a number of characters that were dear and enjoyable without loosing the central focus of her story while being believable. I am so thrilled this is part of a series.
I would like to thank LibraryThing and Bethany House for allowing me to read and review this book in return for a free copy and I was never asked to write a favorable review by anyone. ( )
  Robin661 | Jun 13, 2014 |

Robin661 | Jun 13, 2014 |

Robin661 | Apr 18, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received a copy of this book as part of LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

This charming, Victorian comedy of manners is set in 1880 New York City and features a frisky heroine, Lady Eliza Sumner, intent on recovering her fortune. Along the way, her pursuit is hampered by an adventurous sidekick, a precocious five-year-old, and the determined mothers of society set on bagging the catch of the season, Mr. Hamilton Beckett. Mr. Beckett unexpectedly becomes Lady Eliza's closest ally when they discover they have a common enemy.

This is a book you go into knowing nothing seriously bad is going to happen to your hero. Sure, there will be the embarrassing slapstick moments that offer a chuckle, the awkward verbal moments, but overall you know exactly where this story is going from about page 15 (I double-checked!). So why pick this up? Because it's fun in a 'wholesome, flirty, girls in over their head have to get rescued' kind of way. In that sense, Turano achieves what she promises, a 'rollicking historical romance'. You will be amused by the disguises, law-breaking, prodding and orchestrating to bring Lady Eliza together with her own hero.

Turano leaves plenty of room for future romances to bloom in the sequel. The book also features discussion questions which could be great if you are part of a book club. This breezy 200-page novel is light-hearted enough to be a fun beach read and thin enough to pack in your beach bag. ( )
  LaurenMiller | Jun 20, 2013 |
Saturday, June 8, 2013
A Change of Fortune by Jen Turano, ©2012
Ladies of Distinction, book 1

Mrs. Watson released a sigh. "My dear, I don't wish to cause you distress, but quite frankly, you are not the type of woman with whom one wishes to enter into conversation at a dinner party."
Eliza swallowed a laugh. Apparently her attempt at disguising her appearance and her true identity could be deemed a success.
--A Change of Fortune, 10-11

Free eBook - Gentleman of Her Dreams, a Ladies of Distinction novella by Jen Turano, is free in the Kindle store, NOOK Book, and from Kobo and ChristianBook, courtesy of Christian publisher Bethany House. This novella is a companion to A Change of Fortune, Jen Turano's full-length debut novel.

In 1880 New York, Eliza Sumner has taken a position as governess to the Roger Watson family. She is called into service for the dinner, not serving, but rather as a substitute guest in place of Agatha, the Watsons' eldest indisposed daughter. Mrs. Watson has Eliza seated between Mr. and Mr. Beckett, two brothers who are the guests-of-honor, with the intent of turning the attention of the eldest Beckett to the honor and merit of Agatha. She tells them of the last minute switch, and that she is the family's governess. Instead of the mission she has been assigned, she is informed of other guests around the table, and becomes part of their discussion.

Follow the escapades as Eliza and her new friend, Agatha, take off to retrieve Eliza's treasure and good name. The Mr. and Mr. Beckett are on a venture; will they too join in the intriguing entanglement to assist her in her situation? Speaking of situation, Eliza, through trying circumstances, loses her position. As a damsel in distress, now what will become of her?

This is a delightful story with humor abounding, focusing on the retrieval of Eliza's rightful titled securities. But in the end will their quest become the same?

Many are the plans in a person's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails.
--Proverbs 19:21

A Change of Fortune is the first in a four book series published by Bethany House.

Jen Turano is a graduate of the University of Akron with a degree in Clothing and Textiles. She pursued a career in management for nine years before switching to full-time motherhood after the birth of her son. When she's not writing, Jen can be found watching her teenage son participate in various activities, taking long walks with her husband and dog, socializing with friends, or delving into a good book. She lives in suburban Denver, Colorado. Learn more at jenturano.com.

Lady Eliza Sumner is on a mission. Her fortune was the last thing she had left after losing her father, her fiancé, and her faith. Now, masquerading as Miss Eliza Sumner, governess-at-large, she's determined to find the man who ran off with her fortune, reclaim the money, and head straight back to London.

Mr. Hamilton Beckett, much to his chagrin, is the catch of the season, and all the eyes of New York society--all the female ones, at least--are on him. He has no plans to marry again, especially since his hands are full keeping his business afloat while raising his two children alone.

Eliza's hapless attempts to regain her fortune unexpectedly put her right in Hamilton's path. The discovery of a common nemesis causes them to join forces and, before she knows it, Eliza has a whole retinue of people helping her. Eliza's determination not to trust anyone weakens when everyone's antics and bumbling efforts to assist her make her wonder if there might be more important things than her fortune and independence.

When all of Hamilton's and Eliza's best-laid plans fall by the wayside, it will take a riot of complications for them to realize that God just might have had a better plan in mind all along.

***Thank you for sending me a copy of Jen Turano's A Change of Fortune: Ladies of Distinction, book 1, from Bethany House Publishers. This review is in my own words. No other compensation was received.*** ( )
  lanehillhouse | Jun 8, 2013 |

Lady Eliza Sumner is on a mission. After losing her family, her fiancé, and her faith, the disappearance of her fortune is the last straw. Now, masquerading as Miss Eliza Sumner, governess-at-large, she's determined to find the man who ran off with her fortune, reclaim the money, and head straight back to London.

Much to Mr. Hamilton Beckett's chagrin, all the eyes of New York society—all the female ones, at least—are on him. Unfortunately for all the matchmaking mothers and eligible daughters, he has no plans to marry again, especially with his hands full keeping his business afloat and raising his two children alone.

Rollicking Debut from an Exciting New Author

Lady Eliza Sumner is on a mission. Her fortune was the last thing she had left after losing her father, her fiance, and her faith. Now, masquerading as Miss Eliza Sumner governess-at-large, she's determined to find the man who ran off with her fortune, reclaim the money, and head straight back to London.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:06:32 -0400)

When one humorous mishap after another fails to help her reclaim her lost fortune, Lady Eliza Sumner finds that God has something even better in mind for her than her fortune and independence.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

A Change of Fortune by Jen Turano was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,608,513 books! | Top bar: Always visible