Adventures of a One-Breasted Woman:…

Adventures of a One-Breasted Woman: Reclaiming My Moxie After Cancer (edition 2012)

by Susan Cummings

Info:Booksmyth Press (2012), Paperback, 190 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned

Adventures of a One-Breasted Woman: Reclaiming My Moxie After Cancer by

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I requested this book in the Early Reviewers program because my maternal grandmother and paternal aunt both had (and survived!) breast cancer. Because they fought their battles before my time, I was hoping to read this book to get some idea of what they went through. Susan Cummings’s writing made me feel like I was sitting in the same room with her as she told me her story. Her humor makes her writing so genuine and comforting. And her honesty about her body image and fears really hits home – as a person with a history of cancer in the family, I have fears of cancer “interrupting” my life. But Cummings’s book gives hope to anyone who has survived, been recently diagnosed, or has that fear of the unknown.
  librarianolivia | Jul 15, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Twenty years ago, Susan Cummings was diagnosed with breast cancer. These are her musings on her journey since then. As she says, “I hope the book will lighten the way--provide a little trail mix, a slightly twisted walking stick--for other cancer survivors as well as survivors of other serious illnesses and those dealing with body image issues."

That sums up this book beautifully—a slightly twisted (but utterly delightful) walking stick for others on the path. This is a quick, funny read that surprisingly hit to the core issues that many survivors have.

Since no one’s journey is exactly the same, naturally some of her worries and concerns didn’t meet mine. But the ones that did connected strongly. I laughed.

And I cried a bit. On your cancer journey you may lose a friend or two. Some people just can’t bear one more friend with cancer. Other friends may lose their own cancer struggle.

This is one I'd recommend to other survivors that I know--and to newly diagnosed friends; especially if they are single women. ( )
1 vote streamsong | Mar 29, 2013 |
I thought Cummings was writing about me, from my fear of getting cancer again to being a single, one-breasted woman. I found this a beautifully written, uplifting, and often funny book about life after breast cancer treatment is over. Cummings has unique takes on things. I highly recommend this book to breast cancer survivors and also to women with body image issues. Cummings has many "adventures"as she calls them about accepting her new body, which I found very helpful, refreshing, and often hilarious. Great book! ( )
  Janicemisulatko | Dec 8, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Susan Cummings has written a book about her struggles with both breast cancer and body image. She is a likeable presence and has some interesting takes on the various paths to self help she pursued after her mastectomy. I feel lucky not to have experienced her issues with her imperfect, but far from deformed, body. I was very happy for her when she met her fiance, who genuinely loves her for herself. ( )
  lmikkel | Dec 4, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Curmudgeonly as it might be to criticize an honest, personally revealing memoir about surviving cancer, I find it hard to relate to the content of a book or to its author if the writing style annoys me. Cummings' style is captured quite well in the title: the tongue-in-cheek cutesy words put a distance between struggling author and struggling reader. More examples, from page 61: "The rest of us were liverwurst?" and "Busy as a bunny..." And then there was the overuse of adjectives: on page 102, in just one sentence, the lawns were rolling, the woods were leafy, the garden was thriving, and the stream was murmuring.

That said (in itself an annoying turn of phrase), the last two chapters describing her meeting and relationship with her future husband, suffered from none of this. I was right there with her, happy for her.

It's almost as though she was afraid to describe how miserable she actually was, all those years. ( )
  bobbieharv | Nov 28, 2012 |

“You’re cured now, ” Susan Cummings’s surgeon proclaimed to her a few weeks after her mastectomy. “That’s it?” “That’s it,” her surgeon repeated. But, that wasn’t it by a long shot for Cummings, as we learn in her memoir about her first six years after treatment for early-stage breast cancer. A single woman “progressing at lightning speed through her middle years” when diagnosed, a struggling New York actress, she takes us on her up, down and sideways adventures—sometimes poignant, often laugh-out-loud funny—as she wrangles with her fear of more cancer and shame of her altered body. But with indefatigable determination—from scouring the North American continent for the perfect health regimen to conducting a “beautiful breast survey” at the Metropolitan Museum of Art—she does reclaim her moxie!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:27 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Adventures of a One-Breasted Woman: Reclaiming my Moxie after Cancer by was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,503,414 books! | Top bar: Always visible