Interloper at Glencoe by Julianne Lee

Info:Book View Cafe Edition
Tags:Ebook

Interloper at Glencoe by Julianne Lee

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I believe this may be the first time travel story I've read where the man is sent back in time and brings back the woman rather than vice versa. Like another reviewer, I enjoyed the part in Scotland much more than that in modern California. Ms. Lee has researched her history quite well, obviously. But... the modern man figures out how to manage without all of his modern conveniences, but the woman can't handle those same conveniences without having a meltdown? I mean, yes, all of our technology would be quite shocking, but it seemed a bit overdone, not to mention sexist. Other than that, I quite enjoyed the book and look forward to reading more from this author. ( )
  moniqueleigh | Feb 18, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was an interesting premise and it held my attention throughout, but I felt the writing lacked something. I'm not sure what! I was annoyed by the modern-day idioms and language used by Nick, even though he IS a modern-day character.

It is a fun, short read, but not destined to become a classic, by any means. ( )
  dkhiggin | Aug 18, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Overall, the story was good. I enjoyed the Scottish portion of the book more than the Futuristic portion of the book. I also liked our hero better in the Scottish portion vs. the modern world as in the modern world he seems at times to be not so appealing. Easy to read, interesting concept of what brought the two together and I enjoyed the mix of faeries added in. I'd recommend this book to those that like historical fiction, romance and time travel.

Received this book via the Librarything.com member giveaway. ( )
  llyramoon | May 19, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was a fun twist on the time travel romance, sending the man back in time rather than the woman. There is your basic formula for romance, along with some unusual twists and turns. And of course being set in current-day California and historic Scotland you have all kinds of entertaining misunderstandings between language and changes in cultural mores. Then of course there are the faeries, because "the little people" are well believed in the history of Scotland.

The story was fun, with some interesting hooks and twists. For the cons I can only really come up with a few - mostly the dialogue and for me, the excessive use of "Och" by Beth, the leading lady. It seemed as if the author wanted to get a sense of Gaelic in the language/dialogue, but only knew about five words and depended upon "Och" to impart that sense of authenticity. ( )
  Isisunit | Apr 9, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book for free to review on Librarything.

Miss Lee has a nice writing style, and a good concept for the story.

I appreciated the first half of the story more than the second half.
When Nick gets tranported back in time to Glencoe, he adapts well. But when Beth comes forward in time, she is like a child. I understand that things would be confusing and different. But for Nick to have to teach her to read and use money or credit cards, it just made me feel as if the woman was now infantile and unable to care for herself.

I gave the book 3 stars for that reason. It seemed to me that it was abit degrading to women. ( )
  pamkaye | Mar 14, 2013 |

Time travel to a Historical Romance novel set in 17th century Scotland. Nick MoulinÚ is a rational, thinking man, who one day acquires a fascinating old book that brings him a dream of a beautiful woman and an adventure of long ago.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Interloper at Glencoe by Julianne Lee was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,347,910 books! | Top bar: Always visible