Interloper at Glencoe by Julianne Lee

Info:
Tags:History, time travel

Interloper at Glencoe by Julianne Lee

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have tried three times, since I got this as an Early Reviewers book in 2012, to read this. I've never gotten past his arrival in Glencoe. I don't like the setup, I find the characters and settings unlikely, and I just can't bear to get into the book. The salesgirl is a pretty poor Wiccan, if she lets something that powerful go to this guy who obviously doesn't have a clue - of course, she's presented as pretty silly, so maybe that's intentional. Then the whole midnight ghost scene strikes me mostly as silly. And the likelihood of someone who's used to wearing shoes to be able to walk down a forest path - ok, there are occasional mentions of stepping on something sharp or hard and limping, but not enough, to my mind. He should be barely able to take a step without hitting something sharp, not hitting something every five or ten steps - he shouldn't be able to keep up with her. It makes it rather too much like the dream he's trying to convince himself it is. And that's as far as I got, on three separate occasions. I quit. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Oct 20, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I believe this may be the first time travel story I've read where the man is sent back in time and brings back the woman rather than vice versa. Like another reviewer, I enjoyed the part in Scotland much more than that in modern California. Ms. Lee has researched her history quite well, obviously. But... the modern man figures out how to manage without all of his modern conveniences, but the woman can't handle those same conveniences without having a meltdown? I mean, yes, all of our technology would be quite shocking, but it seemed a bit overdone, not to mention sexist. Other than that, I quite enjoyed the book and look forward to reading more from this author. ( )
  moniqueleigh | Feb 18, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was an interesting premise and it held my attention throughout, but I felt the writing lacked something. I'm not sure what! I was annoyed by the modern-day idioms and language used by Nick, even though he IS a modern-day character.

It is a fun, short read, but not destined to become a classic, by any means. ( )
  dkhiggin | Aug 18, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Overall, the story was good. I enjoyed the Scottish portion of the book more than the Futuristic portion of the book. I also liked our hero better in the Scottish portion vs. the modern world as in the modern world he seems at times to be not so appealing. Easy to read, interesting concept of what brought the two together and I enjoyed the mix of faeries added in. I'd recommend this book to those that like historical fiction, romance and time travel.

Received this book via the Librarything.com member giveaway. ( )
  llyramoon | May 19, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was a fun twist on the time travel romance, sending the man back in time rather than the woman. There is your basic formula for romance, along with some unusual twists and turns. And of course being set in current-day California and historic Scotland you have all kinds of entertaining misunderstandings between language and changes in cultural mores. Then of course there are the faeries, because "the little people" are well believed in the history of Scotland.

The story was fun, with some interesting hooks and twists. For the cons I can only really come up with a few - mostly the dialogue and for me, the excessive use of "Och" by Beth, the leading lady. It seemed as if the author wanted to get a sense of Gaelic in the language/dialogue, but only knew about five words and depended upon "Och" to impart that sense of authenticity. ( )
  Isisunit | Apr 9, 2013 |

Time travel to a Historical Romance novel set in 17th century Scotland. Nick MoulinÚ is a rational, thinking man, who one day acquires a fascinating old book that brings him a dream of a beautiful woman and an adventure of long ago.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Interloper at Glencoe by Julianne Lee was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,763,147 books! | Top bar: Always visible