Vale of Stars by Sean O'Brien

Vale of Stars (edition 2012)

by Sean O'Brien

Title:Vale of Stars
Authors:Sean O'Brien
Info:JournalStone (2012), Paperback, 362 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Vale of Stars by Sean O'Brien

English (74)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (76)
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was written quite well. There were a few grammatical errors, but nowhere near enough to bother me a great deal. The plot was well put together, even if it did throw me off to figure out the relationships between the different characters in the story.

This was a multi generational story, and several generations were slipped along the way, and sometimes the transitions between the generations were not well explained. Overall, the story was good, and, other than the few grammatical errors, was well written and edited. ( )
  janiera | Sep 23, 2015 |
Interesting concept yet aimless and pointless. ( )
  JohnFallows | Sep 5, 2014 |
This is a masterpiece. A thrilling ride amongst the stars. It has it all, tactics, romance, action, intrigue and conspiracies. ( )
  IAmAndyPieters | Mar 23, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I thought it was an interesting and enjoyable novel which struck a nice balance between the intrigue of space travel, the adventure of new worlds, and the predictability of human nature – with a twist of genetics thrown in.

One thing that I wasn’t overly fond of was the way that the generation jumps that occurred, about four times in the narrative in all, took you away from the story just when you started to feel comfortable with the characters. That being said, I did find this device to have been relatively well executed, with enough references to the earlier generation(s) to hold the thread together. In all honesty I found Jene and Sirra far more likeable than Yallia (Kuarta’s character I felt was too shallow and quick a stop on the way for me to really invest), but that may have been a deliberate contrivance by the author and reflected the differing circumstances each found themselves in. Yallia was very much a figure representing change and transition, with her rage unsettling her and her time. The others were at different ends of the spectrum of change and therefore easier to enjoy as characters. The jumps were also a good way to advance the story to its ultimate conclusion.

Whilst not necessarily a novel tale at its most base level, it certainly had enough interesting elements built on this foundation which elevated it above a typical colonisation tale, and at times was thought provoking. It might be said that the overall message, or perhaps warning, of the novel was sometimes a little heavy-handed, but nevertheless it never entirely subsumed the story so as to make it unreadable. I found it to be a genuine page turner and was disappointed when it had ended. A sign of a good read.

Rounding up the critique, there is an awful lot in the story struggling for attention. Moreover there are one or two threads which seem a little out-of-place, and elements of the story and characters which were not so well sketched out and so did not sit so well with the rest. For example, the apparent socialist bent of the colonists was never truly explained or explored, and the evolution and ultimate purpose of the flight team was frankly as unexplained as it was baffling.

The very real feeling the story leaves you with is that it is desperate to mean something, but realises that it has to tell a story and so its message is constrained. This apparent tension pervades the writing to some extent, but in no way spoils the story.

Overall I found any issues that I might have with the book in no way acted to the detriment of the reading pleasure or the enjoyment I got from the story.

Put simply I really enjoyed Vale of Stars and give it a solid four stars. ( )
  TomSChristian | Sep 4, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is more a series of connected short stories than a novel, and the jumping forward through time and characters detracted from, rather than added to, my enjoyment. Although it had some interesting ideas, it couldn't settle on any particular one, bouncing from one to another without ever fully developing anything. It further suffered from uneven characterisation and a completely over the top villain. ( )
  ungratefulwench | Sep 1, 2013 |
The ball arced through the air, gently curving in the slight Coriolis effect.

After the end of a hundred-year-long, deep-space colonization journey, Jenie Halfner and generations of women descendants in the Hafner line uncover stunning secrets about their original mission, their new home on planet Epsilon Eridani III, and the future of the human race that will challenge what they believe in, who they trust, and their perception of the ones they love.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Vale of Stars by Sean O'Brien was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,861,554 books! | Top bar: Always visible