The Avalon Ladies Scrapbooking Society: A…

The Avalon Ladies Scrapbooking Society: A Novel (edition 2013)

by Darien Gee

Member:lauras67
Title:The Avalon Ladies Scrapbooking Society: A Novel
Authors:Darien Gee
Info:Ballantine Books (2013), Hardcover, 448 pages
Collections:Early Reviewer Books Received, Read - My Library
Rating:***1/2

The Avalon Ladies Scrapbooking Society: A Novel by Darien Gee

I really wanted to like this, because I enjoyed Friendship Bread. However, there were too many characters to follow, and I didn't feel that I knew any of them--or really cared about any of them. It think it was simply too busy. ( )
  Lessiebess | Apr 20, 2016 |
I really enjoyed reading this book. All the character's stories came together throughout the book. There were a couple of great twists that developed until the end of the book. But honestly, I thought the ending was underwhelming. I couldn't give the book the full five star rating because of it. I kind of felt like I was left wanting more or just left on a hook. Maybe there is more for another story but who knows. ( )
  AmyGraves | Apr 20, 2016 |
I find these kinds of books kind of boring at times. It wasn't that the stories were disinteresting, rather that when you are following so many connected stories, you never truly relate to one character. Some of the characters were a bit shallow but this is one for a pool side read. I ended up skipping the last few chapters, I needed to return the book to the library and I wasn't so involved that I felt the need to find out what happened in the end. The most interesting part of the book was the way scrapbooking was used to bring all of the characters together and served to tie in the theme of friendship and love. ( )
  Erin.Patel | Aug 22, 2014 |
  Erin.Patel | Aug 22, 2014 |
This might be the only book with a kidnapped goat, a female plumber, an out of country adoption, a naked gardener, an unexpected house fire, a busy tea salon, and scrapbooking. Somehow it all adds up to a wonderful story with characters that you could picture as your own friends. I am looking forward to the next one by Gee. The recipes and scrapbooking tips were a nice added bonus. ( )
  TFS93 | Aug 3, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 034552537X, Hardcover)

Perfect for fans of Debbie Macomber, Kristin Hannah, Beth Hoffman, and Kate Jacobs, this luminous novel from the author of Friendship Bread follows a group of fascinating women who form deep friendships through their love of scrapbooking—as memories are preserved, dreams are shared, and surprising truths are revealed.

Welcome to Avalon, Illinois, Pop. 4,243

At Madeline’s Tea Salon, the cozy hub of the Avalon community, local residents scrapbook their memories and make new ones. But across town, other Avalonians are struggling to free themselves of the past: Isabel Kidd is fixing up her ramshackle house while sorting through the complications of her late husband’s affair. Ava Catalina is mourning the love of her life and helping her young son grow up without his father. Local plumber Yvonne Tate is smart, beautiful, and new to Avalon, but finds that despite a decade of living life on her own terms, the past has a way of catching up—no matter where she goes. And Frances Latham, mother to a boisterous brood of boys, eagerly anticipates the arrival of a little girl from China—unprepared for the emotional roller coaster of foreign adoption.

Enter Bettie Shelton, the irascible founder of the Avalon Ladies Scrapbooking Society. Under Bettie’s guidance, even the most reluctant of Avalon’s residents come to terms with their past and make bold decisions about their future. But when the group receives unexpected news about their steadfast leader, they must pull together to create something truly memorable.

By turns humorous, wise, and deeply moving, The Avalon Ladies Scrapbooking Society is a luminous reminder that the things we hold most dear will last a lifetime.

“In a gathering of women there will always be compelling stories. Throw in a love of craft and these stories take on a whole new dynamic. There are shared secrets, support, encouragement, and love as the Avalon Ladies come to terms with the past and boldly step forward into the future.”—#1 New York Times bestselling author Debbie Macomber

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:50 -0400)

"At Madeline's Tea Salon, the cozy hub of the Avalon community, local residents scrapbook their memories and make new ones. But across town, other Avalonians are struggling to free themselves of the past ... Enter Bettie Shelton, the irascible founder of the Avalon Ladies Scrapbooking Society. Under Bettie's guidance, even the most reluctant of Avalon's residents come to terms with their past and make bold decisions about their future. But when the group receives unexpected news about their steadfast leader, they must pull together to create something truly memorable."--Provided by publisher.… (more)

53 wanted1 pay3 pay

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Avalon Ladies Scrapbooking Society by Darien Gee was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,812,608 books! | Top bar: Always visible