The Avalon Ladies Scrapbooking Society: A…

The Avalon Ladies Scrapbooking Society: A Novel (edition 2013)

by Darien Gee

Member:Lorelai2
Title:The Avalon Ladies Scrapbooking Society: A Novel
Authors:Darien Gee
Info:Ballantine Books (2013), Hardcover, 448 pages

The Avalon Ladies Scrapbooking Society: A Novel by Darien Gee

This might be the only book with a kidnapped goat, a female plumber, an out of country adoption, a naked gardener, an unexpected house fire, a busy tea salon, and scrapbooking. Somehow it all adds up to a wonderful story with characters that you could picture as your own friends. I am looking forward to the next one by Gee. The recipes and scrapbooking tips were a nice added bonus. ( )
  TFS93 | Aug 3, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Fan's of Debbie Macomber's Blossom Street series are sure to enjoy The Avalon Ladies Scrapbooking Society. I loved getting to know the people of Avalon and the book certainly centers on individuals and how their stories impact those around them. I was a little concerned when I started reading that I would feel that I was missing pieces of the story because I haven't read Friendship Bread but that wasn't the case at all. I was given exactly enough detail about each character and their history to become immersed in their current story line. I loved the between the chapters sections that gave us even more details about characters who weren't the focus of this book but had a smaller role to play in influencing events.

I do not scrapbook but the way Bettie describes scrapbooking makes me want to start! The scrapbooking wasn't the focus of the story but gave the women a reason to gather and share the events of their lives. Gee included enough scrapbooking detail and terminology for an authentic experience but not so much that it is overwhelming to people like me.

I greatly enjoyed The Avalon Ladies Scrapbooking Society and look forward to reading Friendship Bread. I hope Gee plans to return to Avalon in the future as there are certainly many more stories to be told. ( )
  DonnerLibrary | May 13, 2013 |
The ladies of Avalon, IL are all dealing with their own particular concerns, but they all come together when resident Bettie Shelton, the local scrapbooking Queen, runs into trouble.
I should not have liked this book. It was everything I turn my nose up at: present tense voices, happy endings for everyone, a scrapbooking party line (don't get me wrong; I like to scrapbook. But I don't think scrapbooking and Amish Friendship Bread will solve the world's problems).
But I did like it. It was well-written, the characters were (mostly) likeable, there was genuine drama and human interest. So for me, it maybe rates lower, but if you're a fan of these kinds of books, I suspect you will love it. ( )
  tloeffler | May 12, 2013 |
Read from April 30 to May 01, 2013

Read/Listened for Review (Edelweiss /Tantor)
Overall Rating 4.50
Story Rating 4.25
Character Rating 4.75

Audio Rating 3.50 (not part of the overall rating)

First Thought when Finished: I really enjoyed revisiting Avalon and learning about a whole new set of women in the town! Also, loved seeing some old familiar faces.

Speed Date Review

First Date: Stepping back into the town of Avalon made me feel like I had gone visiting old friends. The town is wonderfully simple while they people that live there are complex. I loved scrapbooking being the center of the story for this one!

Second Date: Wayward goats, bottle cap jewelry, starter packs, and even some friendship bread makes this book feel really homey. The characters are all going through some really tough things (some brought on themselves) and there are a few I want to hug, a few I want to be snotty with, and one that I think is going to break my heart!

Third Date: I loved how everything came together in the end. Was it perfect? No! Was it a work in progress (like life)? YES! I will say that Bettie's storyline is the one that hit me hardest because my grandmother went through the same thing. It was tough to read and pulled at my emotional heartstrings!

Audio Date:

Narrated by Tanya Eby /Running Time 14 hrs and 16 mins

I love Tanya's female voices! I have listened to her do several audiobooks. Her pacing is wonderful, her emotions pitch perfect, and her rhythms spot on. I would say the only thing that gets me with her are the male voices but in this book those were few and far between. Overall, I really enjoyed this one on audio!

Relationship Status: Still going strong after 2 books! This is one of the few women's fiction series that I adore. ( )
  thehistorychic | May 2, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This story returns us to the lovely town of Avalon, Illinois. Once again we can sip tea and eat Friendship bread at Madeline's tea salon. There are familiar faces in town, and some we don't know. Yvonne, a beautiful, young woman with a plumber's license is trying to get her business going. Isabel, a widow, who is still reeling from the misadventures of her husband. Frances, the mother of a bunch of boys who is hoping to adopt a daughter from China. And Bettie, the head of the Avalon Ladies Scrapbooking Society and town busybody. By being drawn into the scrapbooking by Bettie, these women become interconnected and their personal stories revealed. And they begin to find out that their lives are about to change. Ms. Gee writes a warm story in the tradition of Debbie Macomber. The character become your friends and you become a part of the community. I look forward to more stories from her. ( )
  punxsygal | Apr 23, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 034552537X, Hardcover)

Perfect for fans of Debbie Macomber, Kristin Hannah, Beth Hoffman, and Kate Jacobs, this luminous novel from the author of Friendship Bread follows a group of fascinating women who form deep friendships through their love of scrapbooking—as memories are preserved, dreams are shared, and surprising truths are revealed.

Welcome to Avalon, Illinois, Pop. 4,243

At Madeline’s Tea Salon, the cozy hub of the Avalon community, local residents scrapbook their memories and make new ones. But across town, other Avalonians are struggling to free themselves of the past: Isabel Kidd is fixing up her ramshackle house while sorting through the complications of her late husband’s affair. Ava Catalina is mourning the love of her life and helping her young son grow up without his father. Local plumber Yvonne Tate is smart, beautiful, and new to Avalon, but finds that despite a decade of living life on her own terms, the past has a way of catching up—no matter where she goes. And Frances Latham, mother to a boisterous brood of boys, eagerly anticipates the arrival of a little girl from China—unprepared for the emotional roller coaster of foreign adoption.

Enter Bettie Shelton, the irascible founder of the Avalon Ladies Scrapbooking Society. Under Bettie’s guidance, even the most reluctant of Avalon’s residents come to terms with their past and make bold decisions about their future. But when the group receives unexpected news about their steadfast leader, they must pull together to create something truly memorable.

By turns humorous, wise, and deeply moving, The Avalon Ladies Scrapbooking Society is a luminous reminder that the things we hold most dear will last a lifetime.

“In a gathering of women there will always be compelling stories. Throw in a love of craft and these stories take on a whole new dynamic. There are shared secrets, support, encouragement, and love as the Avalon Ladies come to terms with the past and boldly step forward into the future.”—#1 New York Times bestselling author Debbie Macomber

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:06:36 -0400)

"At Madeline's Tea Salon, the cozy hub of the Avalon community, local residents scrapbook their memories and make new ones. But across town, other Avalonians are struggling to free themselves of the past ... Enter Bettie Shelton, the irascible founder of the Avalon Ladies Scrapbooking Society. Under Bettie's guidance, even the most reluctant of Avalon's residents come to terms with their past and make bold decisions about their future. But when the group receives unexpected news about their steadfast leader, they must pull together to create something truly memorable."--Provided by publisher.… (more)

10 wanted1 pay3 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Avalon Ladies Scrapbooking Society by Darien Gee was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,532,062 books! | Top bar: Always visible