The miniature wife and other stories by…

The miniature wife and other stories (edition 2013)

by Manuel Gonzales

Member:hairball
Title:The miniature wife and other stories
Authors:Manuel Gonzales
Info:New York : Riverhead Books, 2013.
Rating:***
Tags:Books of 2012, Dec 12

The Miniature Wife: and Other Stories by Manuel Gonzales

This book is a weird little collection of short stories. There are zombies, werewolves, and unicorns, and because of this I am surprised I liked it, because I generally don't like stories about any of these things. Often, I actively hate stories about these things.

I think I liked it because Gonzales doesn't attempt to explain any of the weird things that happen in the stories. Everything is written in a very straightforward manner. Things simply are what they are, and you accept it. For example, in one story a plane is circling a city for about 20 years. The story isn't about how that is possible, but rather about what happens on board. In one story, Africa has sunk into the ocean, but the story doesn't attempt to explain it, it is just something that has happened. In the title story, a man has shrunk his wife, and the story is about what that does to their relationship.

All in all, a weird collection. There were some stories I didn't care for much, but I really enjoyed most of them. ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
Deadpan absurdist short stories. The best of them are very good, but a sameness in tone and technique prevents the collection as a whole from fully satisfying.

Steam City Naughty Nurse Amber Ale
Scantic River Pale Trail Ale
  MusicalGlass | May 3, 2014 |
Short stories, and the author has a very contemporary magical realism style. When it worked, it was really different and evocative -- the stand-out was a story about a zombie who worked in an office, doing payroll, and I was also very impressed with one about a composer who spoke through his ears -- but sometimes it felt a little repetitive, a little forced in, like HOW ABSURD CAN I MAKE THIS? ( )
  delphica | Jan 31, 2014 |
The trouble with collections of short stories is that it’s really hard to have different voices for every story. Most of the time they all start sounding alike. I absolutely loved this collection because even though the stories were all different and very unique, none of the narrators sounded alike. This was a brilliant first novel by Manuel Gonzales.

All of the stories were so inventive and so surreal that this book really held my attention from beginning to end. I don’t think there was one that fell short for me. Some of my favourites were “The Disappearance of the Sebali Tribe” where two anthropologists disappear after discovering a new tribe, and the TWO zombie stories “All of Me” and “Escape from the Mall” that reminded me of Warm Bodies and Dawn of the Dead. Other good ones were “Wolf” about a man who turns into a werewolf and how his family copes and “Farewell, Africa”, which is a really strange story about what happens when the continent of Africa sinks.

These are really weird stories, but there’s something utterly charming and captivating about them. I’m addicted to this author already and definitely going to check out any future books he writes. ( )
  jadestar31 | Dec 4, 2013 |
Although I can't say that I liked all the stories in this collection I did like several. Among my favorites was the title story "Miniature Wife" and the first story about a high-jacked airplane, as well as the Mall story which kept my interest all the way through. It is hard to describe these stories, the best I can come up with is it is like falling asleep and having a really out there dream and than waking up and thinking "Where did that come from?" That is what some of these were like, and once again the imagination of the human mind can be astonishing. ( )
  Beamis12 | Mar 7, 2013 |

A collection of short works set in a range of fantastical settings explores such themes as disproportional guilt, the reinvention of self, and the powerful urges to defend and provide for loved ones.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Miniature Wife: and Other Stories by Manuel Gonzales was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,151,464 books! | Top bar: Always visible