A Wreath of Snow: A Victorian Christmas…

A Wreath of Snow: A Victorian Christmas Novella (edition 2012)

by Liz Curtis Higgs

Member:Holly_Combs
Title:A Wreath of Snow: A Victorian Christmas Novella
Authors:Liz Curtis Higgs
Info:WaterBrook Press (2012), Hardcover, 224 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

A Wreath of Snow: A Victorian Christmas Novella by Liz Curtis Higgs

On that cold, snowy evening of Christmas Eve when Meg boarded the train, the last thing she expected was to run into a man from the past who, when he was a teenager had caused great pain for her family. When Gordon Shaw overheard the conductor saying Meg’s name, he realized he knew this young woman. Unsettled by the chance meeting, stammering and embarrassed, Gordon could only say “Gordon” when introduction could no longer be avoided. At this point Meg still had not recognized this handsome stranger and believed that Gordon was his last name. Being a man of faith and moral principal, Gordon was working out in his mind how to set right this misunderstanding. He also was trying to put the words together to confess that he was the teenager who lost his grip of the curling stone handle that struck her brother and caused his paralysis 12 years ago. However, before Gordon could speak, the train shuttered and came to a violent stop, throwing the passengers this way and that. Thoroughly stuck in a snow drift, the train could neither go forward nor back up.

This is the beginning of a story of lies and secrets – Gordon pressed by Meg to keep his true identity from her parents; Meg wanting to hide her part in deceiving her parents; and the brother Alan deceiving everyone for 12 years. But it is also the story of love, repentance, and forgiveness. As Gordon’s heart always sought to follow the leading of the heavenly Father, he must live by his belief that light is better than darkness and the truth is better than lies. Thus, Gordon took the first step that brought healing to his heart and started a chain reaction of events that eventually led to exposing the darkness and bringing healing to Meg’s family.

“A Wreath of Snow” is the first book I’ve read written by Liz Curtis Higgs. I was captivated by her portrayal of Gordon’s close walk with the Lord. It was so simple and natural and trusting. I could “feel” Him in Gordon’s life and how it seemed that He just reached out from the pages of the book into my own heart. I definitely recommend this book and look forward to reading more by Liz Curtis Higgs.
  WVBC | Aug 12, 2015 |
Quick and easy read; good for fans of historical romance and those who love Christmas stories. ( )
  SherylHendrix | Jan 26, 2015 |
Fantastic book! Well worth the reading!! ( )
  mrsrenee | Apr 10, 2013 |
I was excited to read another author who is new to me, Liz Curtis Higgs. A Wreath of Snow :A Victorian Christmas Novella released back in October 2012 just in time to pick up and enjoy this past Christmas. Her Novella is about a young women named Meg Campbell who has been away from home for the past 2 years, but when she returns she finds everything the same. Her brother, Alan, is still his angry, bitter self. She couldn't blame him. Back when they were young, Alan had run out onto the ice just as a man had thrown a curling stone and hit him in the back. He was now in a wheelchair and could barely walk. Who was the man who had thrown that stone? Gordon Shaw. Someone the family never wished to see again.

After being home for Christmas for a little bit of time, Meg Campbell couldn't stand the bitter rage of her brother's misery. So she caught the first train back to Edinburgh which is where Meg unknowingly meets Gordon Shaw. Can she forgive all the pain that he has brought into their lives? Meg has quite a battle in her heart as she faces this test in her life.

I really enjoyed reading this book. The title plays into the books theme fairly well. The story seemed to go quickly as most novellas do and left me wanting to read more. I really liked how each of the characters had to endure some kind of change in their lives. Change never comes easy, yet it is a must for any kind of growth in our lives. The author also includes some notes in the back along with a recipe for Scottish Shortbread and a Reader's Guide. I always find the background notes from the author interesting. I'm really glad she included them. I'm really looking forward to reading some of Liz Curtis Higgs other books. If you're looking for a fun, short read that you can accomplish in a few days, I would definitely recommend this book. Below you can read the first chapter of her book and see for yourself that it is one you'll want to pick up!

**I received this free e-book from Waterbrook Multnomah in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own. ( )
  MandaT | Jan 17, 2013 |
Liz Curtis Higgs tries to create intensity to this slight holiday tale through the characters' thoughts but their thoughts are numbingly repetitive. Meg questions if she can ever forgive her injured brother for his anger. Gordon Shaw wonders if he can ever be forgiven for an old wrong. Predictable plot with occasional heavy-handed Christianity. ( )
  bookappeal | Dec 19, 2012 |
Christmas...
the season for kindling, not merely
the fire of hospitality in the hall,
but the genial flame of charity
in the heart.

Washington Irving
Christmas is here:
Winds whistle shrill,
Icy and chill.

William Makepeace Thackeray
To our daughter, Lilly,

a brilliant artist, a gifted storyteller,
a fine traveling companion,
and an exceptional encourager
Stirling, Scotland
24 December 1854

In all her twenty-six years, Meg Campbell had never been this cold.

On a reluctant visit home, an icy reception from her Scottish family sends Meg Campbell fleeing for the train station, determined to spend the holidays alone, but after pouring her heart out to a fellow traveler, she finds the courage to return home.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,143,083 books! | Top bar: Always visible