A Wreath of Snow: A Victorian Christmas…

A Wreath of Snow: A Victorian Christmas Novella (edition 2012)

by Liz Curtis Higgs

Member:Holly_Combs
Title:A Wreath of Snow: A Victorian Christmas Novella
Authors:Liz Curtis Higgs
Info:WaterBrook Press (2012), Hardcover, 224 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

A Wreath of Snow: A Victorian Christmas Novella by Liz Curtis Higgs

Fantastic book! Well worth the reading!! ( )
  mrsrenee | Apr 10, 2013 |
I was excited to read another author who is new to me, Liz Curtis Higgs. A Wreath of Snow :A Victorian Christmas Novella released back in October 2012 just in time to pick up and enjoy this past Christmas. Her Novella is about a young women named Meg Campbell who has been away from home for the past 2 years, but when she returns she finds everything the same. Her brother, Alan, is still his angry, bitter self. She couldn't blame him. Back when they were young, Alan had run out onto the ice just as a man had thrown a curling stone and hit him in the back. He was now in a wheelchair and could barely walk. Who was the man who had thrown that stone? Gordon Shaw. Someone the family never wished to see again.

After being home for Christmas for a little bit of time, Meg Campbell couldn't stand the bitter rage of her brother's misery. So she caught the first train back to Edinburgh which is where Meg unknowingly meets Gordon Shaw. Can she forgive all the pain that he has brought into their lives? Meg has quite a battle in her heart as she faces this test in her life.

I really enjoyed reading this book. The title plays into the books theme fairly well. The story seemed to go quickly as most novellas do and left me wanting to read more. I really liked how each of the characters had to endure some kind of change in their lives. Change never comes easy, yet it is a must for any kind of growth in our lives. The author also includes some notes in the back along with a recipe for Scottish Shortbread and a Reader's Guide. I always find the background notes from the author interesting. I'm really glad she included them. I'm really looking forward to reading some of Liz Curtis Higgs other books. If you're looking for a fun, short read that you can accomplish in a few days, I would definitely recommend this book. Below you can read the first chapter of her book and see for yourself that it is one you'll want to pick up!

**I received this free e-book from Waterbrook Multnomah in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own. ( )
  MandaT | Jan 17, 2013 |
Liz Curtis Higgs tries to create intensity to this slight holiday tale through the characters' thoughts but their thoughts are numbingly repetitive. Meg questions if she can ever forgive her injured brother for his anger. Gordon Shaw wonders if he can ever be forgiven for an old wrong. Predictable plot with occasional heavy-handed Christianity. ( )
  bookappeal | Dec 19, 2012 |
A Wreath of Snow: A Victorian Christmas Novella
Liz Curtis Higgs

Editor Summary: This heartwarming novella invites readers to experience Christmas in Victorian Scotland, as the chill of a family misunderstanding gives way to the warmth of forgiveness.

On a reluctant visit home, an icy reception from her family in Stirling sends Meg Campbell fleeing for the train station, determined to spend the holidays alone in Edinburgh. When snow delays her departure, Meg pours out her heart to fellow traveler Gordon, an affable newspaperman who asks all the right questions, even as he keeps his own heartache under wraps. Then an unexpected turn of events finally points them both in the right direction: home. This stand-alone novella captures the unexpected gift of forgiveness and the hopeful stirrings of new love.
Review: This was a quick read and suspenseful. Even though there were a few hints of what was to come it was still suspenseful to see it unfold. I like the main characters and was quickly drawn to Meg. It felt very real and like being in the house when the conflict was finally revealed to the secondary characters. Everything about the story felt like a grand Christmas celebration. The snow, the church service and the presents. It was a pleasure to read this story and provide this review.
I would like to thank Waterbrook Press and Edelweiss for allowing me to read and review this book in return for a free copy and I was never asked to write a favorable review by anyone. ( )
  Robin661 | Dec 3, 2012 |
I enjoyed this book. It's not my usual, but I love Christmas books and thought this sounded good. Christmas and trains, how could you go wrong? The story is good and moves at a brisk pace. It is the story of a broken family. Broken by a tragedy that occurred when the main character and her brother were children. The brother is injured by an intoxicated young man during a sporting event. The sister, Margaret, meets the man who injured her brother on a train ride home many years later. This is the story of a family coming back together and is a great Christmas read. The author does a good job of developing characters that you like and care about in a very short time. ( )
  jeff1124 | Nov 27, 2012 |
Christmas...
the season for kindling, not merely
the fire of hospitality in the hall,
but the genial flame of charity
in the heart.

Washington Irving
Christmas is here:
Winds whistle shrill,
Icy and chill.

William Makepeace Thackeray
To our daughter, Lilly,

a brilliant artist, a gifted storyteller,
a fine traveling companion,
and an exceptional encourager
Stirling, Scotland
24 December 1854

In all her twenty-six years, Meg Campbell had never been this cold.

On a reluctant visit home, an icy reception from her Scottish family sends Meg Campbell fleeing for the train station, determined to spend the holidays alone, but after pouring her heart out to a fellow traveler, she finds the courage to return home.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,392,691 books! | Top bar: Always visible