I Saw Zombies Eating Santa Claus: A…

I Saw Zombies Eating Santa Claus: A Breathers Christmas Carol (edition 2012)

by S.G. Browne

Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:**
Tags:zombies, Christmas, Holidays, read

I Saw Zombies Eating Santa Claus: A Breathers Christmas Carol by S. G. Browne

A shortish holiday sequel to Browne's Breathers: A Zombie's Lament, which featured zombies who are anything but mindless, even if they are hungry for human flesh. This time, our zombie protagonist escapes from a research lab, disguises himself in a Santa suit, and bonds with a little girl who reminds him of his lost daughter. It's a breezy, fairly entertaining read, with the same kind of very dark humor that the first book had. But I didn't find it nearly as engaging as Breathers, I think in part because it feels pretty slight, and in part because the cannibalism-themed humor and the rather sentimental stuff about the little girl don't necessarily mesh all that smoothly. Still, how can you resist that title? ( )
  bragan | Dec 14, 2013 |
Not the best zombie novel I've read by far but it did have its funny moments. I particularly enjoyed the parody of "If I only Had a Brain" from The Wizard of Oz. ( )
  Meggle | Dec 12, 2012 |
I got a copy of this book in exchange for a honest review through the Goodreads First Reads program. Thanks to Gallery Books and Goodreads for allowing me the opportunity to review this book. I read Browne’s book Breathers when it was released a few years ago and really enjoyed it. I was really looking forward to reading this book as well. This ended up being a fun, yet short, zombie Christmas read. It was gory, disturbing, entertaining, and even a bit heart-warming.

This book picks up where Breathers left off. Andy is being held in an experimental facility. This book is mostly about Andy escaping from that experimental facility and then returning to rescue some friends. In between this he meets a sweet eleven year old girl who mistakes him for the one and only Santa. She wants nothing more than for her mother to spend some time with her once in awhile and Andy is determined to help her out.

This was a fun read but pretty short, it took a little over an hour to read. This is full of the wit and dark humor Browne is known for. It was a very well written and engaging story that was hard to put down.

As with Breathers this is a zombie book with gore, violence, dark humor, and surprisingly some heart as well. Parts of the book are laugh out loud funny and others are disturbingly gory...in between all of this the story is surprisingly touching.

Andy is a loyal and courageous zombie who knows how to live his unlife better than most live humans life their lives. Along the way he reminds a mother of her duty to her daughter and reminds us all of the true meaning of Christmas spirit.

Overall a great read, I really enjoyed it. This is a truly unique, if somewhat disturbing holiday read. Recommended to zombie fans and those who enjoy dark humor. Full review to follow. ( )
  krau0098 | Dec 7, 2012 |
Another definite win by S. G. Browne, I Saw Zombies Eating Santa Claus takes a place in my heart among other Christmas-oriented tales by my favorite authors.

Here is a tale about Andy, a zombie in this universe who seems to have it more together than most, and for much longer, with the added warmth of a child in need of a true Christmas.

The humor hits the same notes that other Browne novels are able to hit with superb accuracy, and the voice of the work is fine tuned, rarely wavering from what I believe to be Andy's speech. While there was much that happened between the end of Breathers and the start of Eating Santa, the details were not much missed by me. I loved jumping into this universe again, and I was completely accepting of the missing knowledge of the past year. ( )
  HippieLunatic | Dec 6, 2012 |
REVIEW ALSO ON: http://bibliomantics.com/2012/10/26/jingle-brains-jingle-brains-cassie-la-dissec...

This sequel to Breathers: A Zombie’s Lament (S.G. Browne’s first published novel) is every bit as wonderful- if not more wonderful than its predecessor. I could read a whole series of books set in the Breather‘s universe! Set one year after the first book, I Saw Zombies contains some spoilers to the original including the fate of its main characters. But, if you merely want to read a, “… Holly-jolly- zombie Christmas” story about a girl and her zombie who spreads Christmas cheer you don’t necessarily need to read the first book. But you should.

The novel and the novella are both set in a world where resurrections are a semi-regular occurrence, but beyond researching on the undead and locking them up in pounds, not much structure is in place to deal with them. Having been officially labeled dead by the government, all zombies are stripped of their social security numbers and their rights. They are literally the living dead in the eyes of the world. It’s enough to break your still beating heart.

Main character Andy is the former poster boy for the zombie rights movement, but due to the events of Breathers, he is being held in and quickly escapes from a local research facility. The novella itself opens on a body farm where research for Reanimant Forensics are done on the most unlucky zombies in the bunch. Since Andy has a giant hole in his head, the the narrative pieces together the missing bits of his memories, from his research facility escape all the way through his Christmas antics to how he wound up surrounded by decaying peers. Just another day in the life of the undead.

Inside the research lab, zombies are tested on. They have their mouths sewn shut, have horrible tests performed on them and are basically treated like animals. Not that animals should be treated in such a manner either. Ugh. Don’t worry, there will be a PETA satire that I’ll discuss a little later.

The silver lining is that through reading about these inhumane practices, Browne teaches us a little bit about the zombie science in this alternate US of A. In the lab, researchers are looking into the Resurrection Gene which only a small section of the population has present in them. This gene allows them to regenerate after death and might hold the key to curing disease and reverse the effects of aging. Through the pain of zombie test subjects of course. Worst catch-22 ever. You can be immortal, but we have to torture your resurrected relatives to do so! ARGH!

A new addition in this novella is that POVs are given to characters outside of Andy, and they’re female! In all the other S.G. Browne works I’ve read (Fated, Lucky Bastard, and Shooting Monkeys in a Barrel) this is the first time he’s given us a female narrator. That I can remember- there were a lot of wonderful short stories in Shooting Monkeys and I certainly don’t remember the gender of that shampoo bottle.

Anyway, female narrators. Yes, that’s where I was. Browne gives narrative power to one of the researchers, specifically Shannon, a bald headed lady with a heart of gold and a secret weakness for RC-1854- reanimated corpse 1854 (Andy). It’s through her that we get to learn all about the Resurrection Gene and the attitude by the researchers toward the zombies. The are not people, they are not even their genders. They are its. It’s a testament to Browne’s character building that you learn to care for these characters, they’re not rotting and dismembered its they’re people. Albeit smelly people. Zombies are people too!

The second POV is given to a young girl with a not too cheerful childhood (a dead father, an alcoholic absentee mother) who gets a little Christmas cheer from her new zombie Santa friend. The ways in which they help each other deal with their inner pain will warm your heart. D’awwwww. Just the perfect touch of love you want out of your Christmas reads. Plus brain eating, although these two plot lines don’t necessarily go hand in hand, or brain in mouth.

As with S.G. Browne’s other works, this novella is chock full of satire. First is the appearance of PETZ (People for the Ethical Treatment of Zombies) on obvious play on PETA, who arrives to release the zombies from their cages but don’t actually help them beyond that. Sounds about right, helpful but not necessarily effective. PETA, you have your hearts in the right place but that doesn’t mean you always accomplish anything helpful. What do you plan to do with those 20 rabbits who have been testing lipstick!?!

My favorite parody however would have to be Andy’s rendition of “If I Only Had a Brain”, retitled to the appropriate “If I Only Had Some Brains”.

I could gnaw away the hours
Delightfully devour
Digesting John and Janes
And my mouth I’d be fillin’
While my hands were busy killin’
If I only had some brains

Finally, to indicate the changing zombie sentiment since Andy’s capture we are given a glimpse into the zombie reality television choices available for the masses. When Andy last watched television Dancing With the Undead dominated the airwaves, but things have changed since then. Once he’s returned to the land of the living however, people are entertaining themselves with World’s Wildest Zombie Chases. Ruh-roh. Looks like there needs to be a third book in this series (SURPRISE TRILOGY!) to track Andy’s efforts in reversing zombie animosity again. ::puppy dog eyes::

Less zom-rom-com (zombie-romantic-comedy) than Breathers and more a satire on the animal testing industry and the importance of connections with family (read: the true meaning of Christmas) I Saw Zombies is the perfect addition to your Christmas/Halloween cross-over collection, right next to The Nightmare Before Christmas! It’s a niche market, but one that has double the potential because it can be enjoyed twice a year. Love it. ( )
  yrchmonger | Oct 26, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 147670872X, Hardcover)

“One of America’s best satiric novelists” (Kirkus Reviews), S. G. Browne seamlessly gift wraps this horrific and hilarious sequel to his “extremely strong” (Publishers Weekly, starred review) zombie novel Breathers.

He sees you when you’re sleeping . . . he knows when you’re undead.

How does the leader of a failed zombie civil rights movement from California rescue a group of his undead brethren and help a lonely Breather girl as he hides from a band of medical researchers while disguised as Santa Claus?

If you’ve never believed in Christmas miracles, then you wouldn’t understand.

Andy Warner has just escaped from a zombie research facility in Portland, Oregon, where he’s been subjected to experimental testing for the past year. With Christmas just days away, Andy figures that donning a jolly old St. Nick costume to throw off his would-be captors is just the ticket. But he never expects to encounter a sweet, lonesome nine-year-old girl who not only reminds Andy of the family he’s lost but who thinks he’s the real Santa. He also doesn’t count on being recognized as last year’s national quasi-celebrity by a clandestine group of decaying supporters who look to him for leadership. For the living and the undead, this unforgettable holiday tale will truly put on display just who is gnawing and who is nice. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:37 -0400)

Andy Warner has just escaped from a zombie research facility in Portland, Oregon, where he's been subjected to experimental testing for the past year. With Christmas just days away, Andy figures that donning a jolly old St. Nick costume to throw off his would-be captors is just the ticket. But he never expects to encounter a sweet, lonesome nine-year-old girl who not only reminds Andy of the family he's lost but who thinks he's the real Santa. He also doesn't count on being recognized as last year's national quasi-celebrity by a clandestine group of decaying supporters who look to him for leadership. For the living and the undead, this unforgettable holiday tale will truly put on display just who is gnawing and who is nice...… (more)

S. G. Browne is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

S. G. Browne chatted with LibraryThing members from Nov 8, 2010 to Nov 22, 2010. Read the chat.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,448,980 books! | Top bar: Always visible