I Saw Zombies Eating Santa Claus: A…

I Saw Zombies Eating Santa Claus: A Breathers Christmas Carol (edition 2012)

by S.G. Browne

196537,190 (4.11)1
Member:HippieLunatic
Title:I Saw Zombies Eating Santa Claus: A Breathers Christmas Carol
Authors:S.G. Browne
Info:Gallery Books (2012), Edition: First Edition first Printing, Hardcover, 208 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:read2012

I Saw Zombies Eating Santa Claus: A Breathers Christmas Carol by S. G. Browne

Although, I probably don't need to read another Zombie book, this one was very well written and I would recommend it to Zombie or Non-Zombie fans alike. ( )
  bjkelley | Dec 26, 2014 |
A shortish holiday sequel to Browne's Breathers: A Zombie's Lament, which featured zombies who are anything but mindless, even if they are hungry for human flesh. This time, our zombie protagonist escapes from a research lab, disguises himself in a Santa suit, and bonds with a little girl who reminds him of his lost daughter. It's a breezy, fairly entertaining read, with the same kind of very dark humor that the first book had. But I didn't find it nearly as engaging as Breathers, I think in part because it feels pretty slight, and in part because the cannibalism-themed humor and the rather sentimental stuff about the little girl don't necessarily mesh all that smoothly. Still, how can you resist that title? ( )
  bragan | Dec 14, 2013 |
Not the best zombie novel I've read by far but it did have its funny moments. I particularly enjoyed the parody of "If I only Had a Brain" from The Wizard of Oz. ( )
  Meggle | Dec 12, 2012 |
I got a copy of this book in exchange for a honest review through the Goodreads First Reads program. Thanks to Gallery Books and Goodreads for allowing me the opportunity to review this book. I read Browne’s book Breathers when it was released a few years ago and really enjoyed it. I was really looking forward to reading this book as well. This ended up being a fun, yet short, zombie Christmas read. It was gory, disturbing, entertaining, and even a bit heart-warming.

This book picks up where Breathers left off. Andy is being held in an experimental facility. This book is mostly about Andy escaping from that experimental facility and then returning to rescue some friends. In between this he meets a sweet eleven year old girl who mistakes him for the one and only Santa. She wants nothing more than for her mother to spend some time with her once in awhile and Andy is determined to help her out.

This was a fun read but pretty short, it took a little over an hour to read. This is full of the wit and dark humor Browne is known for. It was a very well written and engaging story that was hard to put down.

As with Breathers this is a zombie book with gore, violence, dark humor, and surprisingly some heart as well. Parts of the book are laugh out loud funny and others are disturbingly gory...in between all of this the story is surprisingly touching.

Andy is a loyal and courageous zombie who knows how to live his unlife better than most live humans life their lives. Along the way he reminds a mother of her duty to her daughter and reminds us all of the true meaning of Christmas spirit.

Overall a great read, I really enjoyed it. This is a truly unique, if somewhat disturbing holiday read. Recommended to zombie fans and those who enjoy dark humor. Full review to follow. ( )
  krau0098 | Dec 7, 2012 |
Another definite win by S. G. Browne, I Saw Zombies Eating Santa Claus takes a place in my heart among other Christmas-oriented tales by my favorite authors.

Here is a tale about Andy, a zombie in this universe who seems to have it more together than most, and for much longer, with the added warmth of a child in need of a true Christmas.

The humor hits the same notes that other Browne novels are able to hit with superb accuracy, and the voice of the work is fine tuned, rarely wavering from what I believe to be Andy's speech. While there was much that happened between the end of Breathers and the start of Eating Santa, the details were not much missed by me. I loved jumping into this universe again, and I was completely accepting of the missing knowledge of the past year. ( )
  HippieLunatic | Dec 6, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 147670872X, Hardcover)

“One of America’s best satiric novelists” (Kirkus Reviews), S. G. Browne seamlessly gift wraps this horrific and hilarious sequel to his “extremely strong” (Publishers Weekly, starred review) zombie novel Breathers.

He sees you when you’re sleeping . . . he knows when you’re undead.

How does the leader of a failed zombie civil rights movement from California rescue a group of his undead brethren and help a lonely Breather girl as he hides from a band of medical researchers while disguised as Santa Claus?

If you’ve never believed in Christmas miracles, then you wouldn’t understand.

Andy Warner has just escaped from a zombie research facility in Portland, Oregon, where he’s been subjected to experimental testing for the past year. With Christmas just days away, Andy figures that donning a jolly old St. Nick costume to throw off his would-be captors is just the ticket. But he never expects to encounter a sweet, lonesome nine-year-old girl who not only reminds Andy of the family he’s lost but who thinks he’s the real Santa. He also doesn’t count on being recognized as last year’s national quasi-celebrity by a clandestine group of decaying supporters who look to him for leadership. For the living and the undead, this unforgettable holiday tale will truly put on display just who is gnawing and who is nice. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:12 -0400)

Andy Warner has just escaped from a zombie research facility in Portland, Oregon, where he's been subjected to experimental testing for the past year. With Christmas just days away, Andy figures that donning a jolly old St. Nick costume to throw off his would-be captors is just the ticket. But he never expects to encounter a sweet, lonesome nine-year-old girl who not only reminds Andy of the family he's lost but who thinks he's the real Santa. He also doesn't count on being recognized as last year's national quasi-celebrity by a clandestine group of decaying supporters who look to him for leadership. For the living and the undead, this unforgettable holiday tale will truly put on display just who is gnawing and who is nice...… (more)

S. G. Browne is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

S. G. Browne chatted with LibraryThing members from Nov 8, 2010 to Nov 22, 2010. Read the chat.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,126,586 books! | Top bar: Always visible