The scent of the night by Andrea Camilleri

The scent of the night (original 2001; edition 2007)

by Andrea Camilleri

Member:FGR444
Title:The scent of the night
Authors:Andrea Camilleri
Info:Picador (2007), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 350 pages
Rating:***1/2

The Smell of the Night by Andrea Camilleri (2001)

English (19)  Italian (3)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (1)  All languages (25)
Okay, so it took me six episodes to figure out what I love about the Inspector Montalbano series. The characters. It is all about the characters. Camilleri creates such fun, vibrant, leap off the pages and into your home kind of characters. Okay.... maybe not into your home, but you know what I mean. Of course, the icing on the cake for me is that all of the audiobooks I have listened to have been read by Grover Gardner who does an absolutely fabulous job with his character shifts. The Smell of the Night brings a lot of the best of the previous books to the forefront - Montelbano's relationship with Livia, the angst that has suddenly become Mimi's life, the melodrama that is Cat, the frustration of poor Fazio and even better, we get to fully see what a total jerk Montalbano, by his own admission, can be. Not sure I approve of the antics and tactics of Montalbano but it does make for entertaining reading. I also love how Camilleri gives the reader the unexpected. I can never predict where the Inspector Montalbano stories will go..... I am just along for the ride. ( )
  lkernagh | Nov 28, 2014 |
The inhabitants of Vigata and the surrounding area are incensed when the person to whom they have entrusted their money fails to turn up with their dividend. In fact he fails to turn up at all, and the disappearance of his young member of staff adds to the outrage. An elderly man dies as a result of the loss of his life savings, and Montalbano steps in to find out what happened to the money. With a besotted secretary carrying on as if the miscreant will return any day, and a couple of young women carrying on as if Montalbano will fall for their charms, the inspector has his hands full. Add to that a bit of inter-Sicilian police rivalry, and he could be forgiven for throwing up his hands and leaving it all to his men while he takes a holiday with his fiancée. But Montalbano never lets his intended get in the way of work, a long-running rankle through the series, and of course he eventually finds his way to the macabre truth.

Note that the UK edition is called the Scent of the Night, the US version the Smell of the Night, but the US blurb is far better than the UK one!

I find it hard to review these books as such, since I simply enjoy them so much, I just look forward to the next one each time. Sometimes one just wants to relax with a good book that conjures up mountains, sea and sunshine, with a good bit of intellectual stimulation, and this series does the trick – with added gourmet cooking. ( )
  Jemima_Pett | Nov 11, 2014 |
On the basis of this novel, I'm highly suspicious about the success of this series. Other reviewers have commented on the feebleness of the mystery at its heart, but I'm not too bothered about that; a manhunt for a corrupt financier is perfectly valid, and could make (indeed elsewhere already has made) for an exciting and satisfying crime thriller.

No, the problem with this is the mood. It's not exactly comic, but can't possibly be serious, either. The humour (whimsy?) is now leaden, now ill timed, now in poor taste, and all quite undermined by a translation in which one can have no faith: bizarre spelling to denote a character's uneducated accent can be acceptable, but not in written notes by such characters; nobody in the English-speaking world refers to Marx's book by the title 'Capital' etc. A note tells us that the translator lives in France.

I think I read The Shape of Water years ago and liked it; I've enjoyed the Italian TV movies; but I found this close to unreadable. I won't be returning to Sicily with Montalbano for a long time. If you're a fan, maybe you can make the case that this one's just a dud? ( )
  jtck121166 | Jul 13, 2013 |
What can I say other than that this is another enjoyable mystery in this series? Funny, engaging, all that. Camilleri has written a kind of meta-fiction here, incorporating self-conscious characters, television screenplays and a Faulkner short story. ( )
  nmele | Apr 6, 2013 |
Way more enjoyable than the last one I read. Funny in places, very interesting plot, with a very entertaining Montalbano. I still much prefer the show to the books though. ( )
  h_d | Mar 31, 2013 |

Sartarelli, StephenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vidal, PauTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zabaleta, JosuTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Żaboklicki, KrzysztofTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The shutter outside the wide-open window slammed so hard against the wall it sounded like a gunshot.

(translated by Stephen Sartarelli, 2005)
aka The Scent of the Night

The number of Inspector Montalbano fans will continue to grow with this ingenious new novel featuring the earthy and urbane Sicilian detective. Half the retirees in Vigáta have invested their savings with a financial wizard who has disappeared, along with their money. As Montalbano investigates this labyrinthine financial scam, he finds himself at a serious disadvantage: a hostile superior has shut him out of the case, he’s on the outs with his lover Livia, and his cherished Sicily is turning so ruthless and vulgar that Montalbano wonders if any part of it is worth saving. Drenched with atmosphere, crackling with wit, The Smell of the Night is Camilleri at his most addictive.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:16 -0400)

"Half the retirees in Vigata have invested their savings with Emanuele Gargano. But now the financial wizard has disappeared, along with their money. Has Gargano flown the coop or, this being Sicily, did he run afoul of the Mafia? The new novel in Andrea Camilleri's internationally bestselling mystery series finds the earthy and urbane Inspector Montalbano investigating a labyrinthine financial scam - but at a serious disadvantage. A hostile superior has shut him out of the case, he's on the outs with his lover, Livia, and his cherished Sicily is turning so ruthless and vulgar that Montalbano wonders if any part of it is worth saving."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,398,393 books! | Top bar: Always visible