SantaThing sign up ends in 5:19 hours (5:00 PM EST) » Find out more about our bookish Secret Santa!

The scent of the night by Andrea Camilleri

The scent of the night (original 2001; edition 2007)

by Andrea Camilleri

Member:FGR444
Title:The scent of the night
Authors:Andrea Camilleri
Info:Picador (2007), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 350 pages
Rating:***1/2

The Smell of the Night by Andrea Camilleri (2001)

English (23)  Italian (3)  Spanish (3)  Finnish (1)  English (30)
Really really disliked the translation, oh well.
  lulaa | Nov 18, 2016 |
First, my compliments to Stephen Sartarelli on his translation and notes compiled for the reader to understand every nuance of Camilleri's written word.
Some say that the pace of the book is slow, but, I enjoyed this differing flavor on a detective novel. Camilleri is able to immerse us in the world of Inspector Montalbano: his love and enjoyment of mediterranean food coupled with a detailed description of the sea and the warm and rocky Sicilian geography. With a mix of humor, cynicism, compassion, and love of good food, Montalbano goes into battle against the powerful and the corrupt who are determined to block his path. This is a"delicious" discovery for mystery afficionados and fiction lovers. (less) ( )
  FAR2MANYBOOKS | Mar 25, 2016 |
This sixth entry in the Inspector Montalbano series was the perfect beach book for me! The book drew me in and captured my attention despite the distractions of the sun, sand and kids & I finished it the same day I started.

I won't say anything about the mystery (which was as good as usual with this series) but a quick comment about Montalbano's personal life -- I was glad to see that he and Francisco have established a good relationship after the trouble which occurred a few books back. Now I hope that a similar improvement happens with Livia... ( )
  leslie.98 | Aug 9, 2015 |
2005, Blackstone Audiobooks, Read by Grover Gardner

Book Description: from Amazon.ca:
When a ragioniere (financier) disappears with millions of lire after defrauding many investors in a pyramid scheme, the middle-aged Sicilian detective uses both official and unofficial channels, as the mood takes him, to form, test and eventually prove his own theories … The endearing inspector is, by his own admission, both glutton and gourmand, and the meals prepared for him both at home and in restaurants are large, frequent and lavish. Sly humor, an eye for beauty, a disdain for clichés and fools plus a first-rate intelligence make him formidable both as a detective and as a companion.

My Review:
I quite enjoyed this latest Montalbano case, with its intricate plot and number of interesting characters. Emanuele Gargano, the thief behind a Ponzi scheme, disappears just as his investors are to receive payment from him. Giacomo Pellegrino, one of his staff members, is also missing. Only Gargano’s dedicated, middle-aged clerk, Mariastella Cosentino, remains at Midas Investments – for reasons of her own, we’ll later learn. As the mystery is unravelled, the relationships between the characters comes into focus – and what a focus it is! Montalbano’s relationship with Livia could use some focus – the long distance affair is wearing, and things are not good between the two. But how lovely to meet up with Francois again if only briefly. ( )
2 vote lit_chick | Jan 31, 2015 |
Okay, so it took me six episodes to figure out what I love about the Inspector Montalbano series. The characters. It is all about the characters. Camilleri creates such fun, vibrant, leap off the pages and into your home kind of characters. Okay.... maybe not into your home, but you know what I mean. Of course, the icing on the cake for me is that all of the audiobooks I have listened to have been read by Grover Gardner who does an absolutely fabulous job with his character shifts. The Smell of the Night brings a lot of the best of the previous books to the forefront - Montelbano's relationship with Livia, the angst that has suddenly become Mimi's life, the melodrama that is Cat, the frustration of poor Fazio and even better, we get to fully see what a total jerk Montalbano, by his own admission, can be. Not sure I approve of the antics and tactics of Montalbano but it does make for entertaining reading. I also love how Camilleri gives the reader the unexpected. I can never predict where the Inspector Montalbano stories will go..... I am just along for the ride. ( )
  lkernagh | Nov 28, 2014 |

Sartarelli, StephenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vidal, PauTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zabaleta, JosuTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Żaboklicki, KrzysztofTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The shutter outside the wide-open window slammed so hard against the wall it sounded like a gunshot.

(translated by Stephen Sartarelli, 2005)
aka The Scent of the Night

The number of Inspector Montalbano fans will continue to grow with this ingenious new novel featuring the earthy and urbane Sicilian detective. Half the retirees in Vigáta have invested their savings with a financial wizard who has disappeared, along with their money. As Montalbano investigates this labyrinthine financial scam, he finds himself at a serious disadvantage: a hostile superior has shut him out of the case, he’s on the outs with his lover Livia, and his cherished Sicily is turning so ruthless and vulgar that Montalbano wonders if any part of it is worth saving. Drenched with atmosphere, crackling with wit, The Smell of the Night is Camilleri at his most addictive.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:46 -0400)

"Half the retirees in Vigata have invested their savings with Emanuele Gargano. But now the financial wizard has disappeared, along with their money. Has Gargano flown the coop or, this being Sicily, did he run afoul of the Mafia? The new novel in Andrea Camilleri's internationally bestselling mystery series finds the earthy and urbane Inspector Montalbano investigating a labyrinthine financial scam - but at a serious disadvantage. A hostile superior has shut him out of the case, he's on the outs with his lover, Livia, and his cherished Sicily is turning so ruthless and vulgar that Montalbano wonders if any part of it is worth saving."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,645,794 books! | Top bar: Always visible