The Night Ranger (A John Wells Novel) by…

The Night Ranger (A John Wells Novel) (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Alex Berenson

Member:rufusraider
Title:The Night Ranger (A John Wells Novel)
Authors:Alex Berenson
Info:Putnam Adult (2013), Hardcover, 400 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:fiction, thriller, espionage, terrorism

The Night Ranger by Alex Berenson (2013)

Book 7, in the John Wells series

This series is wonderful and has stayed strong with idea and action stemming right from the news. This time, John our action hero after tackling bad guys across the world’s conflict zone may seem to be a bit weary but is no less as complex and satisfying protagonist. In “The Night Ranger” he enters new territory and goes underground in East Africa to track four kidnapped aid workers for WorldCares, deal with the thugs and rescue them.

What makes this series exciting is the author’s deep understanding of geopolitics and what makes it tick. In this one he deftly portrays how the aid industry is prone to waste and corruption. His fictional aid agency is well- drawn to show how an egotistic director could possible profit from being at the head. This story is a fast read with plenty of action that weaves both the complexities of politics and the everyday life in Africa. The prose is taut, the dialogue first class, so smooth. I love the characterization even the bad guys had strong personalities and they are supplied with all the modern gadgetry to entertain us.

This series is not boring or has become stale. The plots are exciting and fun to read there are no dull moments, a sure way to keep us interesting from start to finish. This novel is hard to put down it is so grabbing. Loved it. ( )
  Tigerpaw70 | Jul 17, 2014 |
The lead character in this book, John Wells, is on my list of fave guys, along with Jack Reacher, John Corey and several others. Once again, an action-filled adventure with Wells getting into situations that you may find inescapable. Does he successfully complete this latest assignment? Give it a read to find out. If you like down and dirty action, you'll love this one. ( )
  ewhatley | Feb 26, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Four recent college grads of greater than average density have come to Kenya as volunteers to work in a camp for refugees from the troubles in Somalia. After several weeks of toil with the troubled, they decide to take a day off, jump in a jeep, and waft out into the countryside to have a look-see. Their assumption that politics here is, as at home, practiced by rich dudes with nothing else to do, is challenged in short order when they find themselves confronted by a collection of small black holes, each at the wrong end of an AK-47 held by a hungry looking Somali bandit. The father of one of the captured boobs knows a hard character named John Wells and asks him, as a favor, to bop on over there and perform an extraction. As usual, things are more complicated then they seem. ( )
  Kinch | Oct 11, 2013 |
Loved this audiobook. Excellent main character. Will be looking for more of these books! ( )
  Dianekeenoy | May 12, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book as part of LibraryThing Early Review program. When I requested it the story sounded exciting and action packed, but when the title arrived and I started reading the first chapter I was very disappointed. The is the first Alex Berenson novel I have read and was unaware of his plot building process. So after several chapters of reading about poor little white girls whinning and crying about being in Africa, I put the book down and never picked it up again. In fact, this has discouraged me from requesting more books for several months. I was not going to write a review for I did not think I could be this wrong about a popular author. I decided to read the other reviews and discovered that there were others like me, not many for sure, so I felt I should add my comments. I am sure Mr. Berenson is an excellent author and I just happened to pick up this book at the wrong time for this kind of story. ( )
  johntgriffin | May 2, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 039915972X, Hardcover)

John Wells enters new territory, as he goes underground in East Africa to track four kidnapped Americans and the Somali bandits who snatched them, in the tough, thoughtful, electrifying new novel from the #1 New York Times-bestselling author.

Four friends, recent college graduates, travel to Kenya to work at a giant refugee camp for Somalis. Two men, two women, each with their own reasons for being there. But after twelve weeks, they’re ready for a break and pile into a Land Cruiser for an adventure.

They get more than they bargained for. Bandits hijack them. They wake up in a hut, hooded, bound, no food or water. Hostages. As a personal favor, John Wells is asked to try to find them, but he does so reluctantly. East Africa isn’t his usual playing field. And when he arrives, he finds that the truth behind the kidnappings is far more complex than he imagined.

The clock is ticking. The White House is edging closer to an invasion of Somalia. Wells has a unique ability to go undercover, and to make things happen, but if he can’t find the hostages soon, they’ll be dead – and the U.S. may be in a war it never should have begun.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:19 -0400)

When four friends, working at a giant refugee camp in Kenya for Somalis, are hijacked by bandits, John Wells, brought in to find them, goes undercover in a country that isn't his usual playing field where he discovers that the truth behind the kidnappings is far more complex than he imagined.… (more)

31 wanted2 pay2 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Night Ranger by Alex Berenson was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,647,713 books! | Top bar: Always visible