The Ocean at the End of the Lane: A Novel by…

The Ocean at the End of the Lane: A Novel (original 2013; edition 2014)

by Neil Gaiman

9,071704524 (4.08)1 / 678
Member:shinigami
Title:The Ocean at the End of the Lane: A Novel
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Info:William Morrow (2014), Paperback, 181 pages
Collections:Storage
Tags:fantasy, box: 9

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman (2013)

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (emperatrix)
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (riverwillow)
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman (emperatrix)
    Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury (streamsong, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These atmospheric coming-of-age tales are magical and poignant as they dance around issues of good and evil. Though they contain plenty of dark undercurrents, they are ultimately hopeful.
    A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness (bookworm12)
    Among Others by Jo Walton (norabelle414)
    norabelle414: A young, bookish kid in 1970s England gets tangled up in magical and scary events larger than they are.
    Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury (souloftherose)
    Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce (rakerman)
    rakerman: There are similar themes of childhood and memory in The Ocean at the End of the Lane and Tom's Midnight Garden. The Ocean is a much more intense book, Midnight Garden is more wistful.
    The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper (Iudita)
    A Sudden Wild Magic by Diana Wynne Jones (LongDogMom)
    A Fistful Of Sky by Nina Kiriki Hoffman (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar style, magical family
    The Book of Lost Things: A Novel by John Connolly (bookworm12, bluenotebookonline, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These fantasy novels featuring boys who get caught up in mystical, mysterious adventures both have dark undercurrents that create a strong atmosphere of suspense. Their vividly imagined fairy tale-like worlds make the stories both wondrous and compelling.… (more)
    Slade House by David Mitchell (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Sinister and supernatural worlds exist hidden inside an otherwise normal modern UK
    The Earth Hums in B Flat by Mari Strachan (-Eva-)
    -Eva-: Similar narrator in a similar environment, where magic is all around, but the growth of the character is the essential part.
    Spirits That Walk in Shadow by Nina Kiriki Hoffman (LongDogMom)
    The Hounds of the Morrigan by Pat O'Shea (LongDogMom)
    The Boneshaker by Kate Milford (Othemts)
    The Particular Sadness Of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: Both books use magical realism to illuminate family relationships.
    Queen of the Dark Things by C. Robert Cargill (penbot)
    Witches of Lychford by Paul Cornell (TheDivineOomba)

English (690)  German (3)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  French (2)  Swedish (2)  Danish (1)  All languages (702)
Let me say this is the first book I’ve read by Neil Gaiman and it won’t be the last. I don’t know what’s taken me so long but it’s a very real deficit in my reading repertoire. This book was magical and whimsical and light and dark. It explored the themes of good and evil, time and timelessness, memories and perceptions, childhood and adulthood through an incredible story of a boy and the fantastical events in his life after he meets an unusual girl down the lane who insists the pond on her property is an ocean. I listened to the audiobook version, read by the author and enjoyed it thoroughly. I’ve already borrowed two more from the library to listen to next! ( )
  justjoshinreads | Mar 22, 2019 |
it was an ok read. Not one of my favorites, but still worth the read. ( )
  EBassett | Mar 20, 2019 |
Oh. This book. Read this book.

I have more to say, so much more. ( )
  Wordbrarian | Mar 5, 2019 |
The book enthralled me. I couldn't leave it until I finished, at first and maybe even halfway through the book. It was brilliant: I didn't know if the child was experiencing everyday actions and because he was seven years old he took the answers and events he was going through, to an imaginary world. Toward the middle of the book, I already believed that we had received quite a clear answer, and since then I have remained on the one-dimensional tension of what is going to happen at the end of the plot. If he had pulled to the question of whether this is an imaginary world or real until the end of the book, we would get a totally genius work. But the book still grabs you well! ( )
  JantTommason | Mar 1, 2019 |
It's a good story but what I appreciated most was that someone finally got boyhood right. I can almost never relate to boys in fiction; they are too typical, the depictions too sentimental. But Gaiman remembers what childhood was really like. I felt like he was writing about me. ( )
  chaosfox | Feb 22, 2019 |
The Ocean at the End of the Lane arouses, and satisfies, the expectations of the skilled reader of fairytales, and stories which draw on fairytales. Fairytales, of course, were not invented for children, and deal ferociously with the grim and the bad and the dangerous. But they promise a kind of resolution, and Gaiman keeps this promise.
added by riverwillow | editThe Guardian, AS Byatt (Jul 3, 2013)

[Gaiman's] mind is a dark fathomless ocean, and every time I sink into it, this world fades, replaced by one far more terrible and beautiful in which I will happily drown.
added by zhejw | editNew York Times, Benjamin Percy (Jun 27, 2013)

The story is tightly plotted and exciting. Reading it feels a lot like diving into an extremely smart, morally ambiguous fairy tale. And indeed, Gaiman's adult protagonist observes at one point that fairy tales aren't for kids or grownups — they're just stories. In Gaiman's version of the fairy tale, his protagonist's adult and child perspectives are interwoven seamlessly, giving us a sense of how he experienced his past at that time, as well as how it affected him for the rest of his life.
added by SimoneA | editNPR, Annalee Newitz (Jun 17, 2013)

Reading Gaiman's new novel, his first for adults since 2005's The Anansi Boys, is like listening to that rare friend whose dreams you actually want to hear about at breakfast. The narrator, an unnamed Brit, has returned to his hometown for a funeral. Drawn to a farm he dimly recalls from his youth, he's flooded with strange memories: of a suicide, the malign forces it unleashed and the three otherworldly females who helped him survive a terrifying odyssey. Gaiman's at his fantasy-master best here—the struggle between a boy and a shape-shifter with "rotting-cloth eyes" moves at a speedy, chilling clip. What distinguishes the book, though, is its evocation of the powerlessness and wonder of childhood, a time when magic seems as likely as any other answer and good stories help us through. "Why didn't adults want to read about Narnia, about secret islands and ... dangerous fairies?" the hero wonders. Sometimes, they do.

Gaiman, Neilprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Coder, LaneCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Johnson, AdamCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kerner, Jamie LynnDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McKean, DaveIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sasscer, AshleeCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"I remember my own childhood vividly ... I knew terrible things. But I knew I mustn't let adults know I knew. It would scare them."

Maurice Sendak, in conversation with Art Spiegelman,
The New Yorker, September 27, 1993
For Amanda,
who wanted to know
It was only a duck pond, out at the back of the farm. It wasn't very big.
Books were safer than other people anyway.
You don't pass or fail at being a person, dear.
Lettie Hempstock said it was an ocean, but I knew that was silly. She said they'd come here across the ocean from the old country.
Her mother said that Lettie didn't remember properly, and it was a long time ago, and anyway, the old country had sunk.
I do not remember asking adults about anything, except as a last resort.

When a middle-aged man returns to his childhood home in Sussex, England, for a funeral he remembers frightening childhood memories relating to the neighbor girl who promised to protect him from the darkness unleashed by a suicide at the pond at the end of their street.

HEADLINE EDITION:
It began for our narrator forty years ago when the family lodger stole their car and committed suicide in it, stirring up ancient powers best left undisturbed. Dark creatures from beyond this world are on the loose, and it will take everything our narrator has just to stay alive: there is primal horror here, and menace unleashed - within his family and from the forces that have gathered to destroy it.

His only defence is three women, on a farm at the end of the lane. The youngest of them claims that her duckpond is an ocean. The oldest can remember the Big Bang.

THE OCEAN AT THE END OF THE LANE is a fable that reshapes modern fantasy: moving, terrifying and elegiac - as pure as a dream, as delicate as a butterfly's wings, as dangerous as a knife in the dark - from the storytelling genius of Neil Gaiman.
Adult narrator
remembers childhood events
when seven years old.
(passion4reading)

It began for our narrator forty years ago when the family lodger stole their car and committed suicide in it, stirring up ancient powers best left undisturbed. Dark creatures from beyond the world are on the loose, and it will take everything our narrator has just to stay alive: there is primal horror here, and menace unleashed - within his family and from the forces that have gathered to destroy it. His only defense is three women, on a farm at the end of the lane. The youngest of them claims that her duckpond is ocean. The oldest can remember the Big Bang.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,534,960 books! | Top bar: Always visible