Taking on the Dead (The Famished Series #1)…

Taking on the Dead (The Famished Series #1) (edition 2012)

by Annie Walls

Member:MelissaVick
Title:Taking on the Dead (The Famished Series #1)
Authors:Annie Walls
Info:
Rating:***

Taking on the Dead by Annie Walls

Annie Walls does what every writer wishes to do with their first novel...she creates a world and takes us there! You will find yourself somewhere in the farmlands of Tennessee fighting off zombies. Kan Moore, the protagonist, is raw and edgy, and there is something sexy about a girl that can wield a machete. Even if you know nothing about the zombie apocalypse, you will enjoy this book. ( )
  HunterSJones | Apr 12, 2013 |
When I saw the cover of Taking on the Dead, I was immediately drawn to it. The chick is walking down a rural road carrying a huge knife and I immediately had to read the synopsis. Its book one of the Famished Trilogy and I got goosebumps! Throw in the living dead, a quest for answers and a mysterious guy and I was totally sold. I am delighted to inform you that Taking on the Dead delivered an action packed post-apocalyptic tale that has left me anxious for book two. Walls paints a beautiful picture of both the horrors and pleasures in a zombie infested world. Her characters came to life, and I found myself invested in their stories.

Kansas City Sunshine Moore (yep that is the protagonist name and I love it..she goes by Kan) has been on her own for over four years, living in a shelter below her old homestead. She is a survivalist, thanks to skills her father taught her, and old books from his library. When she encounters a set of humans being attacked her life changes. Determined to find answers she begins a journey towards one of the military compounds. On the way she is attacked by a horde of zombies and saved by a guitar playing, muscle ripped smexy man named Rudy. *swoons* They share stories and begin traveling together. The tale that unfolds was horrifying, suspenseful, and filled with twists. It kept me turning the pages late into the night.

I love the characters Walls introduces us to; each is unique and at times mysterious but so fleshed out that you immediately find yourself connected to them. Kan is tough as nails, fearless, brave, snarky and totally kick-ass in the zombie killing department. She moves like a stealth ninja in her torn jeans, boots and dreadlocks. There is also a vulnerable side to her. She has been alone for years, and the first humans she has contact with betray her. Despite this she is eager for companionship and thirsty for knowledge. She is independent, sensitive and wants to make a difference. I adored her! Rudy *swoons*He is hot, funny, shy, eye candy to the ladies and feared and respected by the men. He has secrets, and you just want to pry his soul open and expose them. He is sexy and has heart of gold. He does the right thing, the noble thing, even when every instinct in him is screaming crush and destroy. The secondary characters are developed, original and fascinating. While I did not adore them all, I was certainly invested in all of them. There is an underlying romance, that is not fully developed. There is also a secondary romance where the gentlemen really knows he does not stand a chance, but cannot help caring anyway. While it reeks of a triangle, take heart it really isn’t the battle was won long ago..but living gets in the way and who really knows what will go down in the end..GRR! The good news is that whatever happens romantically will develop slowly and naturally. Well as natural as it can in a zombie infested post-apocalyptic world. One thing I liked was that the romance was really a side story to Kan’s quest for answers and the mission they decide to undertake.

This is a dark, gritty new world and the world building was superb. While, we did not completely get a sense of the why the living dead took over, we do know who is responsible. There is so much going on in this novel, as we travel with Kan and learn new pieces of information about what’s happened over the past four years. The tiny cities, scavengers, and the strange government compounds that seem to be controlling zombies all created suspense. Eep! The zombies are teeth-gnashing, flesh-dropping and hungry!!! I loved all the dark, gory details Walls provided. As Kan, Rudy and their friends join together to uncover secrets I found myself completely immersed in the tale. The lines of reality blurred and this world and its characters became real to me. I laughed, I cried, I yelled, and caught that high that only a good tale can bring. Just when I thought they were safe, something else would happen! The non-stop action had my heart racing. I cannot wait for the next installment in this trilogy.

For Zombie and post-apocalyptic fans, Taking on the Dead is a must read. Not sure if you love the dead? Then consider reading this for the characters, the suspense and the mystery. This is a perfect fall read, and the perfect cleansing from all those zombie impostor books you read this summer!! Controlling the Dead is the next book in this trilogy and Living with the Dead is the final book. At this time there is no information on their release dates.
Kimba the Caffeinated Book Reviewer ( )
  kimbacaffeinate | Mar 29, 2013 |

Kimba the Caffeinated Book Reviewer ( )
  kimbacaffeinate | Mar 29, 2013 |
Life for Kansas was perfect until the day the world changed.

She has been hiding out for four years in solitude. It's the only way to survive. The only way not to draw the living dead. Helping a small group of people, she learns the new world might not be what she assumes. Venturing out of her refuge and comfort zone, she meets Rudy, who helps her find a greater purpose. She realizes that the world has moved on without her. Only it's not what she expects. Her knowledge of the living dead grows and only makes her more curious as humanity continues to hang on by a thread. While on her search for answers she finds comfort in new friendships and love, but her past seems as if it will haunt her forever.

Kansas takes it upon herself to help other survivors, which would be easy if the famished were the only obstacles.

In a trilogy plot thick with twists and turns, this adult dark fantasy is emotional as much as it is horrifyingly gripping.

*Not intended for a young audience. Mature content.*
Paperback, 312 pages
Published September 20th 2012
ISBN13
edition language
English
series
The Famished Trilogy #1
characters
Kansas City Sunshine Moore ( )
  MelissaVick | Jan 14, 2013 |
You know when you find a book that you just can't put down - a book that causes you to ignore all other things in life; kids, laundry, eating, etc. and you don't do anything but read? Taking on The Dead was one of those books for me. And even weeks after reading it, I catch myself daydreaming about what might happen next. I'm obsessing...truly.

Annie Walls throws the reader head first into the downfall of Kansas' great life. The zombie infestation takes away her mother, her smart but paranoid father, and the love of her life, leaving her to survive on her own in a bleak and terrifying world. She uses the skills her father taught her and the knowledge he left behind to build a small sanctuary for herself, where she lives in relative isolation for four years.

When a small group of people stumble upon her little haven, Kansas takes pity on them, and in return her outlook on life and the world she thinks she knows crumbles. With her safe house no longer safe she is thrust into a new world of horrors. Not only will she battle zombies, but also rapists, religious zealots, cannibals and people that would use her for things she really does not want to be used for.

Kansas is one total bad ass, zombie-slaying chick. It has become so ingrained in her that she gets excited by the mere thought of killing the infected. Yet she's lost much in the process of becoming this lean, mean killing machine.While she doesn't shy away from the monsters she encounters, she has an extremely hard time with anything remotely warm and fuzzy.

Rudy enters her life by rescuing her from a zombie attack. Like Kansas, Rudy too is socially inept. Yet, the pair finds something kindred in each other and form a strange sort of solidarity. Rudy is, to put it bluntly, f*cking hot! Or, as Kansas calls him, 'sex on feet'. The sexual tension between the two is an ooey-gooey, sticky, sweet mess. But many things stand in the way of either of them being able to just give in to the attraction.

As Kansas grapples with learning to survive in her new situation she finds she is able to trust and care again. She finds friends in a wonderful cast of unique characters. Some you love, some you hate, some you may love to hate, but all are creatively well developed.

Kansas is plunged into a raw, gritty world and takes it all head on. She's a 'warrior princess', a battle maven, a little sex starved hottie, and underneath it all, just a girl trying to survive.

So much takes place in Taking on The Dead, there is hardly time to come up for air. Which I love in a book. Walls never lets you want to set the book down, you are constantly in need of finding out what sort of horror or bedlam happens next. It is a non-stop ride from start to finish. Taking on The Dead is not just a smash and gash zombie book, it's a journey of learning how to truly live in a world of so much death.

I could fangirl over this book for days but instead I think I will assume the position of Annie Walls' new stalker as I wait for details on Controlling The Dead, book two in The Famished Trilogy ( )
  MissAliGirl | Nov 29, 2012 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,486,210 books! | Top bar: Always visible