The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay

The Sea of Tranquility (edition 2012)

by Katja Millay

Member:jls730
Title:The Sea of Tranquility
Authors:Katja Millay
Info:Atria Books (2012), Edition: Original, Kindle Edition, 448 pages
Rating:*****

The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (Anonymous user)

"On every side of me are the lights and the tools and the wood and the boots and the boy I want to see forever. And if my Sea of Tranquility were real, it would be this place, with him."

Este libro se ha convertido en uno de mis favoritos. La trama es unica, profunda, diferente, hermosa y conmovedora; y no se torna aburrida ni un momento. La escritura, ah, mi cosa favorita de este libro: la escritura. Es impresionante y tan llena de talento. Fluida y repleta de frases impactantes. Realmente espero leer pronto otro libro de Katja Millay.

Los personajes están desarrollados magistralmente. Aquí no existen los típicos "malos" y "buenos". Todos son tan realistas que por partes no podía dejar de pensar: ¡Hey! Tu no puedes hacer/pensar eso, se supone que tu eres mejor. Pero luego me daba cuenta que, realmente, en la vida no siempre podemos pensar primero en los demás, no siempre podemos ser comprensivos, tomar las mejores decisiones ni ser desinteresados, no siempre podemos olvidar o perdonar; y entonces comprendía sus acciones y sus pensamientos -aunque no me gustaran- y me identificaba con ellos.

Éste es el libro que todos los libros YA quisieran ser. El libro que todos deberían leer.
  Glire | Jul 7, 2014 |
I can’t put off this review any longer. I bought The Sea of Tranquility when it was first released, but it became one of those books that for some reason sat unread on my kindle. Then, after hearing so many great reviews I got the ARC version from Atria. I think it was all of the ‘OMG this is amazing!’ 5 stars reviews that intimidated me. Sometimes I feel like the only one that doesn’t like a book most other people rave about and I don’t like that feeling. I was finally convinced to read this a few months ago and totally got what all the fuss was about. I read this book back in June and was never able to put my feelings about this book into a coherent review. Mostly because nothing I say can do it justice and partly because, really, what else can I possibly say that other bloggers haven’t already. I bought and listened to the audiobook last week and fell in love with it all over again. I decided to just get this review over with already.

I was more than intimidated when I started this book. Especially since my friend is a huge fan and I really think she might have shunned me if I didn’t love the book. Plus, it was long and long books and I don’t really get along. I was immediately intrigued as to what had happened to Nastya to make her the way she was, but I will admit that the beginning was a little bit slow. Not boring, just slow. Then, out of nowhere, and I’m not even sure when or where it happened, I realized I was in love with this book! I fell in love with Josh and Nastya little by little until I was drowning in all the emotions. This book hurt my soul but it was that good kind of hurt.

Even though Nastya was kind of morbid and depression, I couldn’t not like her. Despite of her quirks and self-destructive tendencies, I understood why she was like that. And holy freaking shit, I have so much fangirling about Josh-freaking-Bennett that I don’t even know where to start. I’ll just list my favorites: I loved that he wasn’t the typical bad boy, he wasn’t an asshole, he cooks, he’s really great with his hands (I was referring to the carpentry), but my favorite thing about Josh was his love for General Hospital. Oh yeah, once I found out he was a GH fan I was a goner. Although the story heavily focuses on Josh and Nastya, Drew was such a scene stealer and one of my favorite aspect of the story. I loved his friendship with Josh and his Nastypants and I know I’m not alone when I say that I. WANT. DREW’S. STORY!!!

A little bit on the narration. I thought Candace did such a fantastic job at capturing Nastya’s voice, attitude and feelings. She pulled off every scene brilliantly and I’m looking forward to hearing more audio books by her. I had a harder time getting used to Josh’s voice. Mostly because I thought the narrator sounded a bit too old to pull off Josh. I’ve also heard another book by him and it bothers me how slow he talks. His talking scenes are good but his narrating scenes got on my nerves sometimes. But I will admit this, Kirby did an amazing job at pulling off the really emotional scenes! As if this book wasn’t already emotional, these scenes make it hurt just a little bit more and I kept wishing he had showed more emotion throughout the rest of the book. All in all, I still really enjoyed this audio book and will listen to this again.

Book endings are hard for me. Most of the time I feel like I still need/want more to the story. I can honestly say that this was not the case. This is the most perfect ending I have ever read! Those two words gave me the chills and made me want to go back and read it all over again. This is another one of those books where I am kicking myself for not having read it sooner. All I can say is that it’s one of the most beautiful books I’ve read and I am on full-on stalker to see what story the author has for us next. I can’t say enough good things about it and it will always be one of my ‘auto-recommend’ books. ( )
  NathaliePolanco | Jun 30, 2014 |
The most tempting part for me to pick up this book was the title ‘The Sea of Tranquility’ it sounded so wonderful and in turn it turned out to be a beautiful book as well! I was not expecting much from this, thought it’s just another YA novel but it was not- it was something deep, thoughtful with effective writing by Katja Millay. The story is about two teenagers Josh and Natsya who happened meet each other at the time of their life.. just when they thought they are done with it and from there how their life takes a new turn wherein they support each other emotionally to come out of their past trauma.This book really had some profound quotes which touched my heart and left me thinking! ( )
  Versha.Bharat | May 30, 2014 |
Everyone told me I HAD to read this book, They said I would love it just like they did. Well let me tell you I truly think this is my NEW FAVORITE BOOK !!! I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THIS BEAUTIFUL STORY !!!! It was heart-wrenching, beautiful , uplifting, unforgettable !!! It definitely is worth more then 5 stars so It will be getting a solid 10 stars from me .. It was total greatness !!!! Without giving anything away in the book I am simply going to do my review with my Favorite quotes from this amazing story … I MUST say If you have not read this book yet , YOU MUST READ IT NOW !!!!!

“Good morning, Sunshine.”

Book Blurb:
I live in a world without magic or miracles. A place where there are no clairvoyants or shapeshifters, no angels or superhuman boys to save you. A place where people die and music disintegrates and things suck. I am pressed so hard against the earth by the weight of reality that some days I wonder how I am still able to lift my feet to walk.

Former piano prodigy Nastya Kashnikov wants two things: to get through high school without anyone learning about her past and to make the boy who took everything from her—her identity, her spirit, her will to live—pay.

Josh Bennett’s story is no secret: every person he loves has been taken from his life until, at seventeen years old, there is no one left. Now all he wants is be left alone and people allow it because when your name is synonymous with death, everyone tends to give you your space.

Everyone except Nastya, the mysterious new girl at school who starts showing up and won’t go away until she’s insinuated herself into every aspect of his life. But the more he gets to know her, the more of an enigma she becomes. As their relationship intensifies and the unanswered questions begin to pile up, he starts to wonder if he will ever learn the secrets she’s been hiding—or if he even wants to.

The Sea of Tranquility is a rich, intense, and brilliantly imagined story about a lonely boy, an emotionally fragile girl, and the miracle of second chances.

“I don't really care what people say about me. I'm fine with lies and rumors. It's the truth I don't want being told.”

“The world should be full of Josh Bennetts. But it’s not. I had the only one. And I threw him away.”

“What did you call her?" she ask's but I don't think it's her real question.
"Sunshine," I say, and she smiles like she believes it's perfect and she may be the only person other than me who would think so.
"What is she to you?" she whispers. The real question and I know the answer even if I don't know how to say it.
Drew's muffled voice rises up from the floor before I can respond.
"Family," he says.
And he's right.”

“Josh isn’t in love with me and I’m not in love with him.”
“Sell it to someone who’s buying, Sunshine. Have you seen the way he looks at you?” I’ve seen the way he looks at me but I don’t know what it means. “Like you’re a seventeenth-century, hand-carved table in mint condition.”

“I’m going to walk over to you,” I say, taking one step at a time in her direction like I’m talking down a jumper. “I’m going to put my arms around you and I’m going to hold you,” I pause before taking the last step, “and you’re going to let me.”

“He's kissing me. And when he does, part of me is lost. But it's the part that's twisted and mangled and wrong, and for just that moment, with his hands in my hair and his lips on my mouth, I can pretend that it never existed.”

“It’s about the dream of second chances,” he says finally. He hasn’t raised his eyes from the paper on his desk and I feel him looking at me without looking when he uses his grandfather’s words. “The narrator doesn’t respect the beauty of life and the world around her, so it crushes her into the ground and once she’s dead, she realizes everything she took for granted and didn’t see right in front of her while she was alive. She’s begging for another chance to live again so she can appreciate it this time.”
“And does she get that chance?” she asks Josh while I desperately focus on the poster of literary terms on the wall and wait for absolution. When it comes, I barely hear it.
“She does.”

“When I look at her now, I think, for just one second, that God doesn't hate me so much after all.”

“You didn’t get a choice in what happened to you. Neither did
we. But you have a choice in what happens now. We don’t. You’re the one in control and all we can do is sit on the sidelines and watch, even if you keep making the wrong calls over and over again.” We’re obviously veering into sports metaphor territory. “We’re not going to force you to do anything you aren’t ready to do. You’ve had enough forced on you. But you have to make a decision about how long you’re going to let this define
your life.”

“He took the fucking piano, Sunshine. He didn't take everything. Look at your left hand. It's probably clenched in a fist right now, isn't it?"
I don't need to look. It is. He knows it.
"Now open it up and let it go."
And I do.”

“Maybe one day you'll come back. Maybe you never will and that'll suck, but you can't keep doing this. The blame and the self-loathing and the bullshit. I can't watch that. It makes me hate you for hating yourself. I don't want to lose you. But I'd rather lose you if it means you'll be happy. I think if you come back with me today, you'll never be okay. And I'll never be okay if you aren't. I need to know that there's a way for people like us to end up okay. I need to know that there even is such a thing as okay, maybe even good, and it's out there and we just haven't found it yet. There's got to be a happier ending than this, here. There's got to be a better story. Because we deserve one. You deserve one. Even if it doesn't end with you coming back to me.”
  Chris.BlogEmporium | May 6, 2014 |

I live in a world without magic or miracles. A place where there are no clairvoyants or shape shifters, no angels or superhuman boys to save you. A place where people die and music disintegrates and things suck. I am pressed so hard against the earth by the weight of reality that some days I wonder how I am still able to life my feet to walk.

What a dark beautiful story.

Imagine you are a charismatic, talented, beautiful girl with a whole life ahead of you and in one day, in one moment is all taken away. You are ruined. A shell of your former self. The only reprieve in this living hell is to start over, reborn…

This book I thought was slow at first but it is a slow dark story that in the end had me bawling like a baby. The characters development is amazing.

It was not an easy read for me but a highly recommended one that left me utterly raw and vulnerable.
  amydnoland | Mar 31, 2014 |
Reviewed by Robin
Book provided by NetGalley for review
Review originally posted at Romancing the Book

Where do you start a review on a book that is so powerfully written? A book that helps heal? Not very often do you come across a story that takes your heart and rips it right out of your chest. One that is so deep that you feel the raw emotions of the characters that hold you in their grasp until the very end. A story that takes the harshness of the world, the horror, the imperfections; showing us that if we are strong enough to survive we can find hope and love. It gives us our dreams along with a second chance.

The relationship between Josh and Nastya builds slowing. Both loners both have had much tragedy in their young lives. Josh proves to be a very special seventeen year old boy showing that he survives in spite of all that life has thrown at him. Even though he is quiet he is very protective, caring and respectful of the boundaries that Nastya has set up. Nastya on the other hand just longs for a friendship no questions asked. One where she can keep the secrets from the past hidden.

As this friendship grows into more it is like two old souls sharing a lifetime of tragedy with each other. Once in a while a book comes along that captures you heart and for me this is that book. Even though it is a young adult book it is one that spans and speaks to those of all ages. Having worked in the school system for a number of years I would have loved to have had this book while talking to the many young people that came to me with their problems. If my boys were readers had this book been around I would have made them read it, I still just might do that. I went through some tough times during my younger years also. While reading this book it touched those dark areas for me giving me the chance to bring them out and heal. Wow! Is all I can say…? This is a book that everyone needs to buy and keep on their shelf after reading. Ms. Millay has an emotional story full of cathartic healing elements. A must have for everyone. A keeper for everyone. I only wish I would have come across this earlier.

Favorite Quote: “Dying isn’t so bad after you’ve done it once. And I have. I’m not afraid of death anymore. I’m afraid of everything else.”
added by RtB | editRomancing the Book, Robin (Feb 13, 2013)

Two and a half years after an unspeakable tragedy left her a shadow of the girl she once was, Nastya Kashnikov moves to a new town determined to keep her dark past hidden and hold everyone at a distance. But her plans only last so long before she finds herself inexplicably drawn to the one person as isolated as herself: Josh Bennett. Josh's story is no secret. Every person he loves has been taken from his life until, at seventeen years old, there is no one left. When your name is synonymous with death, everyone tends to give you your space. Everyone except Nastya who won't go away until she's insinuated herself into every aspect of his life. But as the undeniable pull between them intensifies, he starts to wonder if he will ever learn the secrets she's been hiding, or if he even wants to.--From back cover.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,502,210 books! | Top bar: Always visible