The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay

The Sea of Tranquility (edition 2012)

by Katja Millay

Member:jls730
Title:The Sea of Tranquility
Authors:Katja Millay
Info:Atria Books (2012), Edition: Original, Kindle Edition, 448 pages
Rating:*****

The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (Anonymous user)

Thank you to netgalley.com and Atria Books for allowing me access to this title.

4.5 stars. This book was an amazing look at the way we deal with trauma and emotions. The MC had a lot to deal with and this glimpse into how she was coping should resonate with a lot of readers. I would recommend this for anyone who enjoyed Gayle Forman's If I Stay. It was gritty and rough, but extremely real.

Language: Moderate/High
Sex: High
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
"Sometimes, I just forget how to breathe."

I knew the feeling. This book is all sorts of messed-up and beautiful put together. The ending is awesomesauce. :-)

Review to come. ( )
  margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |
While this book is a good book club read, in that it touches on numerous debatable topics, the story lacks anything that really makes me feel conviction for it, as a whole, one way or the other.

Information pertaining to the lead female character's history is teased out. The day-to-day occurrences lack extreme volatility, but lend how individuals may actually react as if this were a nonfiction. As this is fiction, the level of pretentiousness, both with the characters and the telling of their story lines, is difficult to overlook. ( )
  Sovranty | Aug 4, 2014 |
"On every side of me are the lights and the tools and the wood and the boots and the boy I want to see forever. And if my Sea of Tranquility were real, it would be this place, with him."

Este libro se ha convertido en uno de mis favoritos. La trama es unica, profunda, diferente, hermosa y conmovedora; y no se torna aburrida ni un momento. La escritura, ah, mi cosa favorita de este libro: la escritura. Es impresionante y tan llena de talento. Fluida y repleta de frases impactantes. Realmente espero leer pronto otro libro de Katja Millay.

Los personajes están desarrollados magistralmente. Aquí no existen los típicos "malos" y "buenos". Todos son tan realistas que por partes no podía dejar de pensar: ¡Hey! Tu no puedes hacer/pensar eso, se supone que tu eres mejor. Pero luego me daba cuenta que, realmente, en la vida no siempre podemos pensar primero en los demás, no siempre podemos ser comprensivos, tomar las mejores decisiones ni ser desinteresados, no siempre podemos olvidar o perdonar; y entonces comprendía sus acciones y sus pensamientos -aunque no me gustaran- y me identificaba con ellos.

Éste es el libro que todos los libros YA quisieran ser. El libro que todos deberían leer.
  Glire | Jul 7, 2014 |
I can’t put off this review any longer. I bought The Sea of Tranquility when it was first released, but it became one of those books that for some reason sat unread on my kindle. Then, after hearing so many great reviews I got the ARC version from Atria. I think it was all of the ‘OMG this is amazing!’ 5 stars reviews that intimidated me. Sometimes I feel like the only one that doesn’t like a book most other people rave about and I don’t like that feeling. I was finally convinced to read this a few months ago and totally got what all the fuss was about. I read this book back in June and was never able to put my feelings about this book into a coherent review. Mostly because nothing I say can do it justice and partly because, really, what else can I possibly say that other bloggers haven’t already. I bought and listened to the audiobook last week and fell in love with it all over again. I decided to just get this review over with already.

I was more than intimidated when I started this book. Especially since my friend is a huge fan and I really think she might have shunned me if I didn’t love the book. Plus, it was long and long books and I don’t really get along. I was immediately intrigued as to what had happened to Nastya to make her the way she was, but I will admit that the beginning was a little bit slow. Not boring, just slow. Then, out of nowhere, and I’m not even sure when or where it happened, I realized I was in love with this book! I fell in love with Josh and Nastya little by little until I was drowning in all the emotions. This book hurt my soul but it was that good kind of hurt.

Even though Nastya was kind of morbid and depression, I couldn’t not like her. Despite of her quirks and self-destructive tendencies, I understood why she was like that. And holy freaking shit, I have so much fangirling about Josh-freaking-Bennett that I don’t even know where to start. I’ll just list my favorites: I loved that he wasn’t the typical bad boy, he wasn’t an asshole, he cooks, he’s really great with his hands (I was referring to the carpentry), but my favorite thing about Josh was his love for General Hospital. Oh yeah, once I found out he was a GH fan I was a goner. Although the story heavily focuses on Josh and Nastya, Drew was such a scene stealer and one of my favorite aspect of the story. I loved his friendship with Josh and his Nastypants and I know I’m not alone when I say that I. WANT. DREW’S. STORY!!!

A little bit on the narration. I thought Candace did such a fantastic job at capturing Nastya’s voice, attitude and feelings. She pulled off every scene brilliantly and I’m looking forward to hearing more audio books by her. I had a harder time getting used to Josh’s voice. Mostly because I thought the narrator sounded a bit too old to pull off Josh. I’ve also heard another book by him and it bothers me how slow he talks. His talking scenes are good but his narrating scenes got on my nerves sometimes. But I will admit this, Kirby did an amazing job at pulling off the really emotional scenes! As if this book wasn’t already emotional, these scenes make it hurt just a little bit more and I kept wishing he had showed more emotion throughout the rest of the book. All in all, I still really enjoyed this audio book and will listen to this again.

Book endings are hard for me. Most of the time I feel like I still need/want more to the story. I can honestly say that this was not the case. This is the most perfect ending I have ever read! Those two words gave me the chills and made me want to go back and read it all over again. This is another one of those books where I am kicking myself for not having read it sooner. All I can say is that it’s one of the most beautiful books I’ve read and I am on full-on stalker to see what story the author has for us next. I can’t say enough good things about it and it will always be one of my ‘auto-recommend’ books. ( )
  NathaliePolanco | Jun 30, 2014 |
Reviewed by Robin
Book provided by NetGalley for review
Review originally posted at Romancing the Book

Where do you start a review on a book that is so powerfully written? A book that helps heal? Not very often do you come across a story that takes your heart and rips it right out of your chest. One that is so deep that you feel the raw emotions of the characters that hold you in their grasp until the very end. A story that takes the harshness of the world, the horror, the imperfections; showing us that if we are strong enough to survive we can find hope and love. It gives us our dreams along with a second chance.

The relationship between Josh and Nastya builds slowing. Both loners both have had much tragedy in their young lives. Josh proves to be a very special seventeen year old boy showing that he survives in spite of all that life has thrown at him. Even though he is quiet he is very protective, caring and respectful of the boundaries that Nastya has set up. Nastya on the other hand just longs for a friendship no questions asked. One where she can keep the secrets from the past hidden.

As this friendship grows into more it is like two old souls sharing a lifetime of tragedy with each other. Once in a while a book comes along that captures you heart and for me this is that book. Even though it is a young adult book it is one that spans and speaks to those of all ages. Having worked in the school system for a number of years I would have loved to have had this book while talking to the many young people that came to me with their problems. If my boys were readers had this book been around I would have made them read it, I still just might do that. I went through some tough times during my younger years also. While reading this book it touched those dark areas for me giving me the chance to bring them out and heal. Wow! Is all I can say…? This is a book that everyone needs to buy and keep on their shelf after reading. Ms. Millay has an emotional story full of cathartic healing elements. A must have for everyone. A keeper for everyone. I only wish I would have come across this earlier.

Favorite Quote: “Dying isn’t so bad after you’ve done it once. And I have. I’m not afraid of death anymore. I’m afraid of everything else.”
added by RtB | editRomancing the Book, Robin (Feb 13, 2013)

Two and a half years after an unspeakable tragedy left her a shadow of the girl she once was, Nastya Kashnikov moves to a new town determined to keep her dark past hidden and hold everyone at a distance. But her plans only last so long before she finds herself inexplicably drawn to the one person as isolated as herself: Josh Bennett. Josh's story is no secret. Every person he loves has been taken from his life until, at seventeen years old, there is no one left. When your name is synonymous with death, everyone tends to give you your space. Everyone except Nastya who won't go away until she's insinuated herself into every aspect of his life. But as the undeniable pull between them intensifies, he starts to wonder if he will ever learn the secrets she's been hiding, or if he even wants to.--From back cover.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,115,413 books! | Top bar: Always visible