The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay

The Sea of Tranquility (edition 2012)

by Katja Millay

Member:jls730
Title:The Sea of Tranquility
Authors:Katja Millay
Info:
Rating:*****

The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (Anonymous user)

This story about two teens who are trying to cope after tragedy is dark, raw, intense and not especially uplifting. It also has a lot of mature content for a teen novel. But I really loved it and was pulled into the story from the very beginning. I listened to the audiobook, which is a format I don't use very often as I sometimes have trouble paying attention. I didn't have any trouble paying attention to this story as it grabbed me and didn't let go until the last word, 13 hours later.

At the beginning of The Sea of Tranquility, Nastya, a 17 year old girl with a mysterious secret, starts attending a new school. It is apparent early on that she has suffered a severe tragedy, and that she is most definitely not okay. She doesn't speak to anyone, she dresses like a whore, she has issues with her left hand, and as the novel continues, the reader (or listener, in my case) pieces together bit by bit what has happened to leave her in such a state. Josh Bennett has also suffered his share of tragedy, as nearly everyone he has ever loved has been taken from him.

At this point, the story sounds like it will be predictable teen fare: two teens with tragic pasts find solace in each other's arms and all of their problems suddenly disappear. And while there are elements of this in The Sea of Tranquility, I felt like the novel was so much deeper. I was especially pleased with the ending. I was worried about where the story was going, and that I wouldn't like it. I thought either everything would be wrapped up in a perfect little bow, or everyone would be left wallowing in their misery. Somehow, Katja Millay managed to find a middle ground, providing an ending that was both satisfactory and realistic. ( )
  em0451 | Sep 11, 2014 |
Nastya has moved in with her aunt who lives two hours away from her hometown to try and start over. But will she have the courage to face her deepest fears? Josh has lived in the same town his whole live and everyone knows his story. Will he be be able to connect with anyone ever again? When Nastya and Josh cross paths they find something in each other that brings them close without even saying a word.

I thought this book was pretty amazing. Katja Millay has a winner! At first you just wish you could shake Nastya just to make her talk, but then you get to know her more and you just want to save the little girl she was. Josh is the quit guy who is good with his hands, who wouldn’t be attracted to that, but he is so much more than just an average teenage guy. Both of these characters have had an intense life up to this point and they both still have a long way to go. I thought these two made great friends and they found each other when they needed the other most, and they didn’t even know it. Through there own kind of therapy things start to look up, until someones feelings get hurt. I enjoyed the journey that Katja brought me on, there was so many emotions and the ending. Oh my God the ending. I’ll stop before I tell you what it is because well you have to read the book to find out.

Books aren’t meant for everyone to like and this is definitely a YA book so if you don’t like reading about high schoolers, I still think you might like the story behind it anyways because it is not your typical high school romance drama.

I received this book from the publisher through netgalley for my honest review ( )
  Hbeck | Aug 19, 2014 |

Hbeck | Aug 19, 2014 |
Thank you to netgalley.com and Atria Books for allowing me access to this title.

4.5 stars. This book was an amazing look at the way we deal with trauma and emotions. The MC had a lot to deal with and this glimpse into how she was coping should resonate with a lot of readers. I would recommend this for anyone who enjoyed Gayle Forman's If I Stay. It was gritty and rough, but extremely real.

Language: Moderate/High
Sex: High
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
"Sometimes, I just forget how to breathe."

I knew the feeling. This book is all sorts of messed-up and beautiful put together. The ending is awesomesauce. :-)

Review to come. ( )
  margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |
Reviewed by Robin
Book provided by NetGalley for review
Review originally posted at Romancing the Book

Where do you start a review on a book that is so powerfully written? A book that helps heal? Not very often do you come across a story that takes your heart and rips it right out of your chest. One that is so deep that you feel the raw emotions of the characters that hold you in their grasp until the very end. A story that takes the harshness of the world, the horror, the imperfections; showing us that if we are strong enough to survive we can find hope and love. It gives us our dreams along with a second chance.

The relationship between Josh and Nastya builds slowing. Both loners both have had much tragedy in their young lives. Josh proves to be a very special seventeen year old boy showing that he survives in spite of all that life has thrown at him. Even though he is quiet he is very protective, caring and respectful of the boundaries that Nastya has set up. Nastya on the other hand just longs for a friendship no questions asked. One where she can keep the secrets from the past hidden.

As this friendship grows into more it is like two old souls sharing a lifetime of tragedy with each other. Once in a while a book comes along that captures you heart and for me this is that book. Even though it is a young adult book it is one that spans and speaks to those of all ages. Having worked in the school system for a number of years I would have loved to have had this book while talking to the many young people that came to me with their problems. If my boys were readers had this book been around I would have made them read it, I still just might do that. I went through some tough times during my younger years also. While reading this book it touched those dark areas for me giving me the chance to bring them out and heal. Wow! Is all I can say…? This is a book that everyone needs to buy and keep on their shelf after reading. Ms. Millay has an emotional story full of cathartic healing elements. A must have for everyone. A keeper for everyone. I only wish I would have come across this earlier.

Favorite Quote: “Dying isn’t so bad after you’ve done it once. And I have. I’m not afraid of death anymore. I’m afraid of everything else.”
added by RtB | editRomancing the Book, Robin (Feb 13, 2013)

Two and a half years after an unspeakable tragedy left her a shadow of the girl she once was, Nastya Kashnikov moves to a new town determined to keep her dark past hidden and hold everyone at a distance. But her plans only last so long before she finds herself inexplicably drawn to the one person as isolated as herself: Josh Bennett. Josh's story is no secret. Every person he loves has been taken from his life until, at seventeen years old, there is no one left. When your name is synonymous with death, everyone tends to give you your space. Everyone except Nastya who won't go away until she's insinuated herself into every aspect of his life. But as the undeniable pull between them intensifies, he starts to wonder if he will ever learn the secrets she's been hiding, or if he even wants to.--From back cover.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,361,051 books! | Top bar: Always visible