The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay

The Sea of Tranquility (edition 2012)

by Katja Millay

298None37,572 (4.48)4
Member:jls730
Title:The Sea of Tranquility
Authors:Katja Millay
Info:Atria Books (2012), Edition: Original, Kindle Edition, 448 pages
Rating:*****

The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (Anonymous user)

I live in a world without magic or miracles. A place where there are no clairvoyants or shape shifters, no angels or superhuman boys to save you. A place where people die and music disintegrates and things suck. I am pressed so hard against the earth by the weight of reality that some days I wonder how I am still able to life my feet to walk.

What a dark beautiful story.

Imagine you are a charismatic, talented, beautiful girl with a whole life ahead of you and in one day, in one moment is all taken away. You are ruined. A shell of your former self. The only reprieve in this living hell is to start over, reborn…

This book I thought was slow at first but it is a slow dark story that in the end had me bawling like a baby. The characters development is amazing.

It was not an easy read for me but a highly recommended one that left me utterly raw and vulnerable.
  amydnoland | Mar 31, 2014 |
A story that slowly builds to give you time to get to know and fall in love with these characters. Trust me, it is worth it. I had to re-read the last 5 pages over so I could keep feeling that connection. I was feeling deep love for this "family" of characters. First book in a long time that I want to read a second or third time. Josh Bennett is a teenage dream come true. He's a gorgeous, brooding, fly under the radar lonely boy (with good reason) with a passion for building furniture. Josh also has a best friend Drew who is equally gorgeous. Drew however, is the flip side of the coin from Josh. He's an outgoing, very popular, debate star with a loving family that has a weekly Sunday dinner that I want to be invited to. When Nastya arrives to start her senior year 2 hours away from her hometown she does not speak to anyone at ALL. She has good reason to be silent. She masks her pain and tries to perfect a "stay away" look with heavy makeup and skimpy clothing. She's a former piano prodigy who has been home schooled for two years. All the reasons she's in this new town living with her aunt and attending school are related to her death. She was attacked and died in the hospital before being revived. This is a story of love, violence, death, recovery and second chances.
  sharonhd | Mar 13, 2014 |
I've been putting off writing this one because I just don't know how to do this story justice with a review. This book is one of the reasons why I love this genre so much. I'll pretty much read anything but I've been on a major Romance trip lately, especially when it comes to books about love and redemption. The Sea of Tranquility got everything right. It was real! There was not one single line or scene where I had to suspend my disbelief. The romance between Nastya and Josh was slow to build up. There was no insta-love, no giant automatic connection and no giant whirlwind of drama to bring them together. Instead it was like each character lived in their own world but gravity started to pull them towards each other, slowly at first but building up over time and even when they tried to fight it, it was just impossible to resist that pull. This was a heartwrenching and beautiful book. Certain events were just so mindless and random much like real life and showed just how quickly your life could change. You go around without a major care in the world and all of a sudden it's all gone. Your comfort, security, your hope, dreams and love all gone or at least you think so until one day you wake up in someone's garage wondering how you got there and hoping you'll never ever have to leave.

All of the characters including the side characters were written with such detail that you literally know them after you're through with the book. You don't just wish that they could be your friends like you do in a lot of books but realize that they are your friends. You've just been through too much together with them and know them too well to be anything but friends. Josh and Nastya both have had issues in their past and each have their own ways of dealing with them. Josh works every spare moment in his garage building stuff in order to stay busy and keep his mind off of things while Nastya invents a new identity for the public. She never speaks and dresses in extremely skimpy outfits along with giant spiked heels while doing the whole goth thing with her makeup. The person everyone sees in public and at school is just an illusion which she hides behind to stay safe yet she never truly feels safe anymore. One day at school Nastya notices Josh who is just as alone as she is. In fact she thinks it's like he has a force field around him that nobody else can or will enter and she wishes she had one too. She's not instantly just attracted to his looks although she thinks he's good looking nor is she instantly attracted to his pain even though she's not quite aware of it's depth. Late each night that she can, she runs to help quiet her mind and sleep. She feels safer at night than in the broad daylight and one each night she passes Josh's house and his garage where he's always working. One night just out of the blue she goes into his garage and just sits down and watches while he works. Neither talk, Nastya doesn't talk anyway. Every so often she'll just stop in and this is how their relationship starts. Two people who want nothing more than to be alone but are secretly craving something. Maybe's it's companionship or likes attracting, whatever it is they both start to look forward to their time together in Josh's garage and slowly over the course of the book their relationship grows.

In a lot of books you have the girl with major problems and the great guy who is there to help love her. Sometimes the guy is a little too great, a little too patient and a little too everything. Don't get me wrong I like those kinds of books and that kind of character. I know for a fact that those kind of people really do exist and are out there but I really enjoyed the fact that Josh wasn't perfect. He's dealt with a lot and he's still young even if his eyes do appear much older. He makes mistakes, plenty of them. Some bigger than others and it felt real. Of course when things go bad someone like Josh would go back to the one thing that they don't have to think about for comfort. Nastya isn't perfect either, far from it. It's not like she will really let anyone in and nobody no matter how good they are can pick up on all of her little hints and clues. It's like she's secretly trying to tell Josh the truth the whole time they're together without ever coming out and saying it. Heck even the supporting characters aren't perfect even though they're great people and even better friends. Drew is a huge womanizer and I'm using the kind term for what he is. He is the love em and leave em kind of guy but he knows it. He never makes excuses and he's always up front about it but there's so much more to him than that, so much more depth and you get to find out who he really is on the inside. You get that with all of the characters. They're not just there for comic relief or page fillers. They're just as unique and three dimensional as Josh and Nastya.

The Sea of Tranquility is a great book about pain: lots of pain, of loss, longing and learning to live again. It's about Loss, hope and redemption. It's about two people who have lost everything that ever truly mattered to them and finding out that there are still things in life worth loving. It was real, emotional and I'm still thinking about it a week later. As far as a story about love and redemption goes this book got everything absolutely right. Books like this are why I wake up each morning with a smile on my face and why I always look forward to tomorrow. Buy this book, read the sample if you need to and then enjoy every single moment of it. You will thank yourself later for reading it. It's just that good. ( )
  Jamiesbookblog | Feb 13, 2014 |

This is one of those books that punch you in the gut, then make you hate the author and then punch you in the gut again.
Read it. You won't regret it. ( )
  ashpapoye | Jan 24, 2014 |
I wasn't sure what to think of this book when I first started listening to it. This was my first experience with Millay and at first I thought it was going to be just another young adult romance, with boy meets girl, struggling through their relationship, but end up together in the end. Thankfully, the story went much deeper than this, allowing me to get to know these characters that were lost from the people they truly were.

Something happened to Nastya that turned her into a withdrawn and bitter individual. One day she just quit talking and put up a brick wall, not allowing anyone into her heart. All of this changed the day she met Josh. I think she saw something in Josh's eyes telling her that he was just as lost and hurt as she was.

Josh is a lonely, young man who lives alone in a home left by his grandfather. Money isn't a problem for Josh so he doesn't have to worry about moving even though he is still in high school. He doesn't have many friends in school, as he's been flagged as an outcast, so naturally he and Nastya are drawn to each other.

Josh and Nastya find refuge in each other, but they have many problems to overcome. As the novel goes on we learn what exactly happened to Nastya that turned her into the exact opposite type of person she once was. Although I appreciated Nastya's character, my heart went out to Josh as I felt I could easily relate to his problems. The heartache and loneliness that comes with being alone in the world is hard to explain, but Millay did a wonderful job of this.

I'm sure the narrators of this audiobook helped my appreciation of the story. Chapters alternated between Josh's and Nastya's stories, and Heyborne and Thaxton narrated, depending upon whose chapter was being read. Both of these narrators embraced their characters, bringing them to life for me and even bringing tears to my eyes a couple of times.

I enjoyed this audiobook more than I thought I would and with themes of love, loss, and forgiveness I'm sure many of you would enjoy this book as much as I did. I don't hesitate in recommending this book for personal leisure or even as a book club selection. ( )
  jo-jo | Dec 31, 2013 |
Reviewed by Robin
Book provided by NetGalley for review
Review originally posted at Romancing the Book

Where do you start a review on a book that is so powerfully written? A book that helps heal? Not very often do you come across a story that takes your heart and rips it right out of your chest. One that is so deep that you feel the raw emotions of the characters that hold you in their grasp until the very end. A story that takes the harshness of the world, the horror, the imperfections; showing us that if we are strong enough to survive we can find hope and love. It gives us our dreams along with a second chance.

The relationship between Josh and Nastya builds slowing. Both loners both have had much tragedy in their young lives. Josh proves to be a very special seventeen year old boy showing that he survives in spite of all that life has thrown at him. Even though he is quiet he is very protective, caring and respectful of the boundaries that Nastya has set up. Nastya on the other hand just longs for a friendship no questions asked. One where she can keep the secrets from the past hidden.

As this friendship grows into more it is like two old souls sharing a lifetime of tragedy with each other. Once in a while a book comes along that captures you heart and for me this is that book. Even though it is a young adult book it is one that spans and speaks to those of all ages. Having worked in the school system for a number of years I would have loved to have had this book while talking to the many young people that came to me with their problems. If my boys were readers had this book been around I would have made them read it, I still just might do that. I went through some tough times during my younger years also. While reading this book it touched those dark areas for me giving me the chance to bring them out and heal. Wow! Is all I can say…? This is a book that everyone needs to buy and keep on their shelf after reading. Ms. Millay has an emotional story full of cathartic healing elements. A must have for everyone. A keeper for everyone. I only wish I would have come across this earlier.

Favorite Quote: “Dying isn’t so bad after you’ve done it once. And I have. I’m not afraid of death anymore. I’m afraid of everything else.”
added by RtB | editRomancing the Book, Robin (Feb 13, 2013)

Two and a half years after an unspeakable tragedy left her a shadow of the girl she once was, Nastya Kashnikov moves to a new town determined to keep her dark past hidden and hold everyone at a distance. But her plans only last so long before she finds herself inexplicably drawn to the one person as isolated as herself: Josh Bennett. Josh's story is no secret. Every person he loves has been taken from his life until, at seventeen years old, there is no one left. When your name is synonymous with death, everyone tends to give you your space. Everyone except Nastya who won't go away until she's insinuated herself into every aspect of his life. But as the undeniable pull between them intensifies, he starts to wonder if he will ever learn the secrets she's been hiding, or if he even wants to.--From back cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,429,204 books! | Top bar: Always visible