Waking Dragons by Jane Yolen

Waking Dragons (edition 2012)

by Jane Yolen, Derek Anderson (Illustrator)

Title:Waking Dragons
Authors:Jane Yolen
Other authors:Derek Anderson (Illustrator)
Info:Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (2012), Hardcover, 32 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites

Waking Dragons by Jane Yolen

"Waking Dragons" by Jane Yolen is a creative and delightful piece of children's literature. I enjoy the characters and their perspective because it is very unique to have a young boy and his dog help large dragons with their morning routine. I enjoyed the cute details of this book, like the fire extinguisher that the dog had when brushing the dragon's teeth that read "in case of dragon's breath." The creativity of the author and illustrator are evident in the relatable events of the book by the ties made between morning routines for people and the suitable way dragon's morning routines work. I also really enjoyed the personification of the dragons. The main idea is one of togetherness and common experience between creatures. ( )
  bboyd7 | Oct 21, 2015 |
I enjoyed reading this book for many different reasons. I liked the plot of this book because the author used a little boy and dragons to show children how to get ready for school. For example, “Dragons blink, dragons bumble, dragons leap, dragons tumble out of bed to brush their teeth, the fangs above, the fangs beneath.” The author used an imaginary animal to mimic how children should get ready for school and this would be entertaining for children to read. I also liked the language of this book because the author included many vocabulary words which she changed the font for in the text. For example, the word “tumble” is italicized and tilted down the page to show children that tumble means to fall down. This was important for children to learn and comprehend new vocabulary words. This Modern Fantasy book encompassed many aspects of that genre because the plot was logical even though dragons are not real. The theme and message of this book helped readers to reflect on what it means to be a human because many children struggle with waking up in the morning and finding a routine.
  katiebanaszak | Oct 20, 2015 |
"Waking Dragon" was a sweet and simple book, which I enjoyed. Jane Yolen writes about what dragons do when they rise. The story is set up like a poem, there are many rhymes and phrases. For example, "Then all dragons skip and scamper down the hall on four big feet to the kitchen where they eat." There are many sections like this in the book that have a playful and entertaining tone. The book also has the capability of getting into the imagination of the inner child in you. Everyone once believed in dragons, and Jane Yolen does a great job of brining your imagination to life. The illustrations, done by Derek Anderson, take up the whole entire page of the book, there is no room left for white. Also, the illustrations take up more space than the actual text of the book. The boy and his dog are very tiny , while the dragons fill up the page. Lastly, Anderson did a wonderful job at making the dragons look sweet and fun, because no body wants a mean dragon. I do not believe that there is a specific message to this story besides that if you have a pet you should take the best care of it, no matter what animal it is. ( )
  bridgetmcnamara | Apr 14, 2015 |
I loved this book and would definitely use it in the future. The main idea of the book is to entertain children by providing silly human traits to dragons. I enjoyed this book for several reasons. First, I really liked the fun language. For example, "Dragons rise, dragons open dragon eyes." The rhyming words makes it fun to read and is great for emergent readers. I also loved the colorful pictures. It was like the illustrations were animated and were taken right off of a movie. It really brought the book to life. Lastly, the humor in this book was great for children to be engaged. For example, a dragon puts their clothes in the hamper. Children are going to find this hilarious, therefore it will keep them engaged for the entire story.
  bmalon6 | Mar 23, 2015 |
Cute and good for read-aloud, especially after lunch or some other activity.
  Climbing-books | Dec 18, 2014 |

Jane Yolenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Anderson, DerekIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

In the morning, dragons wake up, tumble out of bed, and get ready to fly into the sky.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,884,105 books! | Top bar: Always visible