Breaking Point (Article 5) by Kristen…

Breaking Point (Article 5) (edition 2013)

by Kristen Simmons

Member:BunaHSLibrary
Title:Breaking Point (Article 5)
Authors:Kristen Simmons
Info:Tor Teen (2013), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 400 pages
Rating:*****

Breaking Point (Article 5) by Kristen Simmons

[Kristen Simmons] continues the extraordinary dystopian story of Chase and Ember in [Breaking Point]. The concepts of what the US government has become in these books is nightmarish. The evolution of the characters who are coming of age in these books is thought provoking. It was hard for me to put the book down because I became so engaged with Ember and Chase’s struggle. I recommend this book for anyone who likes a well paced story with engaging characters. I will also recommend these books for my school library. ( )
  MsHooker | May 26, 2014 |
4.5 hearts

We’re back into Ember and Chase’s world yet again. They are still one the run and have now hooked up with a group from the Resistance. Ember and Chase are in for the fight of their life.
Ember now has celebrity status and not in a good way. She is wanted. Ember is still determined to find Rebecca and save her, her going places isn’t really easy, with posters of her face everywhere. She stays inside the hotel and never leaves. She seems to have grown up, and to stand up for herself. Chase is still strong and quiet and somewhat mysterious to me. You can really figure him out, he has a lot going on his mind and still feels tremendous guilt over Ember’s mother. Their little romance was something I really enjoyed, and the tension between them is at times palpable.
We have a whole slew of new characters. Some good and some that you really just want to yell at. Wallace and Cara are two that are a big part of everything that happens. Trying to figure them out definitely keeps you on your toes. Billy was a young boy that was takes in by the Resistance. He was a awesome addition. And yes, Tucker comes back into the picture. The question about him is can they trust him or not? I have to say that I couldn’t stand him in the first book, but he grew on me, just a little….
It had been a while since I read Article 5, so it took me a few chapters to catch up. Once I did, it was completely engrossing. The world building was fantastic. There are so many things going on with the Resistance and with the FBR being after Ember and Chase that there are some intense scenes. So much learned this time around. Like, how the article came to be, and what the Resistance is willing to do. There are some heart breaking moments, and some revelations that will play into the next book.
This is a fast paced, exciting ride. With incredible characters, and a captivating plot, this is one heck of a ride. I am looking forward to seeing what happens with Ember, Chase and her group. This is one series that I would definitely recommend reading. ( )
  jeneaw | Sep 30, 2013 |
Great book, excited for the final installment. I still don't trust Tucker one tiny bit. Love the character and relationship development. ( )
  rubewrites | Sep 20, 2013 |
This was a satisfying sequel to Article 5. ( )
  asomers | Sep 13, 2013 |
I embarked on my reading of Breaking Point with some trepidation. I personally loved Article 5, but a lot of my good friends had major criticisms, and I wondered if I would see flaws I missed before. Thankfully, I needn't have feared, because Breaking Point lives up to its predecessor, and this is one of my favorite YA dystopian series.

For one thing, Simmons' series actually belongs under the heading of a dystopia. As long as the people follow the rules of the lawmakers, the society is perfect, but, for those who break the articles, the society is a hell. Unlike most YA dystopian series, the resistance is hardly a blip on the radar of the government. The resistance's attempts to overthrow the government feel largely futile, and hearken back to a more classic dystopian formula, especially since Simmons has no compunction about killing off characters.

Those who did not enjoy the first book cited Ember's voice as their biggest problem; they found her whiny and annoying. She does not strike me that way at all, though this is not to say that the other readers are wrong, because we all have our own unique lens on the world. If she is whiny, it's a proactive sort of complaining. Ember doesn't just sit on her ass waiting for Chase to help her. She takes action; in fact, her biggest weakness is her willingness to charge into situations without scouting out the best way to do so. She's emotional and fiercely protective of friends and family.

Actually, I'm really sold on Ember now. Her relationship with Chase does not change her behavior one bit, other than that sometimes she wants to make out with him. He does not control her one bit, and she's obviously more dominant in their relationship, even if he's stronger. I love, too, that when confronted with a terrible person from her past and forced to work with him, she continues not to trust him. This is so refreshing after all of the heroines in postapocalyptic and dystopian novels who befriend people who try to rape them or kill their families. Ember gives trust only where it's earned.

Honestly, I'm not sure how I feel about Chase and Ember as a couple. In book one, I was rooting for them, but I didn't feel as much of a connection between this time. However, I do approve of how their relationship is handled, and that it's largely kept to the back burner. While they do have problems, none of the issues in their relationship are because of the situation they're in. Their relationship problems are internal, and secondary to dealing with survival.

My main concern at this point is a tentative one. As in so many dystopian societies, women are given inferior status to men. Thankfully, Simmons shows that women are still strong, with the primary example being Ember. Two, arguably three, other strong women appear in Breaking Point, which is great. Unfortunately, it concerns me that all of the powerful women but Ember are not looking good at the end of the book. If all women but Ember are either weak or destroyed physically, it's still sending a bad message. Authors do this, I believe, to make their heroine stand out more, but she can still shine while other women do too, I promise. Hopefully the next volume will bring in more female characters, and badass ones at that.

If you enjoyed Article 5, you're going to want to get your hands on Breaking Point pronto. There's plenty of action, death and uncertainty, exactly what is needed in a good dystopia. ( )
  A_Reader_of_Fictions | Apr 1, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 076532959X, Hardcover)

After faking their deaths to escape from prison in Article 5, Ember Miller and Chase Jennings have only one goal: to lay low until the Federal Bureau of Reformation forgets they ever existed.

Near-celebrities now for the increasingly sensationalized tales of their struggles with the government, Ember and Chase are recognized and taken in by the Resistance—an underground organization working to systematically take down the government. At headquarters, all eyes are on the sniper, an anonymous assassin taking out FBR soldiers one by one. Rumors are flying about the sniper's true identity, and Ember and Chase welcome the diversion….

Until the government posts its most-wanted list, and their number one suspect is Ember herself.

Orders are shoot to kill, and soldiers are cleared to fire on suspicion alone. Suddenly Ember can’t even step onto the street without fear of being recognized, and “laying low” is a joke. Even members of the Resistance are starting to look at her sideways.

With Chase urging her to run, Ember must decide: Go into hiding…or fight back?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:59 -0400)

After escaping prison, Ember Miller and Chase Jennings are taken in by the Resistance but when Ember tops the government's most-wanted list, Chase urges her to run and Ember must decide whether to hide again or fight back.

23 wanted1 pay1 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,540,162 books! | Top bar: Always visible