Captain No Beard: An Imaginary Tale of a…

Captain No Beard: An Imaginary Tale of a Pirate's Life (edition 2012)

by Carole P. Roman

Member:gigifrost
Title:Captain No Beard: An Imaginary Tale of a Pirate's Life
Authors:Carole P. Roman
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 40 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:adept, alexander, captain no beard, carole p. roman, danger, encouragement, flying dragon, hallie, imagination run wild, kindess, pepper parrot's problem with patience, pirate, shiver me timbers, stuffed animals

Captain No Beard: An Imaginary Tale of a Pirate's Life by Carole P. Roman

Whenever Alexander and his cousin Hallie hop on Alexander's bed to play, they become Captain No Beard and his fearless pirate crew of 'The Flying Dragon'. They set sail for a voyage of imagination as First Mate Hallie, Mongo the Monkey, Linus the loudmouthed lion, and Fribbet the floppy frog - who are in reality, three stuffed animals. Together, Alexander and Hallie sail the seven seas in a magical vessel bound for dangerous and exciting adventures.

I must say that I enjoyed reading these books. They were quick reads for me and overall, I would give the entire series an A+! In my opinion, this series would make a great gift for children. Each book teaches children valuable lessons such as patience and tolerance; sharing; responsibility and cooperation; being a good friend and what to do when meeting strangers. ( )
  moonshineandrosefire | Apr 3, 2014 |
This is a cute story of a young boy named Alexander and his cousin Hallie’s adventures as ‘pretend’ pirates.
The story will entice ay young pirate wannabe. The language is appropriate for ages 3-5. The pictures are bright and charming. ( )
  skstiles612 | Feb 22, 2014 |
CAPTAIN NO BEARD: AN IMAGINARY TALE OF A PIRATE'S LIFE by Carole P. Roman is a wonderful Children's Book. First in the "A Captain No Beard story". "Based on Alexander and his cousins playtime". Has beautiful illustrations. What an imaginative way to help teach children, than with a whimsical and magical Captain No Beard,his pirate ship,and the crew of the Flying Dragon. Sail the seven seas with the crew,find a magical and exciting adventure aboard the Flying Dragon. Sure to delight young and old pirates alike. A wonderful way to show children how to play with others,the importance of getting along, and how to have a wondrous adventure. A fun and charming read for young and old alike. Received for an honest review from the author.
RATING: 4
HEAT RATING: NONE(CHILDREN'S BOOK)
REVIEWED BY: AprilR, My Book Addiction Reviews ( )
  MyBookAddiction | Mar 2, 2013 |
Each Captain No Beard story is a tale centered around a young boy, Alexander (aka Captain No Beard), and his imaginary pirate ship, The Flying Dragon. His crew is comprised of three stalwart stuffed animals, Mongo the monkey, Linus the lion, and Fribbet the frog. His cousin, Hallie, is the First Mate and together they sail the ocean searching for adventure.

The delightful tales of Captain No Beard and his First Mate, Hallie, is superb for all ages. The stories are well formulated and the illustrations will keep a young audience intrigued. I speak from experience. I read both books to my three year old son and he was absolutely enchanted.

Read the full review here:
Bookend Chronicles ( )
  gigifrost | Feb 24, 2013 |
In many ways, Captain No Beard is a very good book. It is educational, imaginative, and lively. The font is big and bold which is always helpful to the beginning reader. The illustrations are bright, cheery, and colorful. Most importantly, it’s about having a pirate adventure. The title alone is very enticing. I like the use of repetition and pirate vocabulary to engage and challenge new readers. The writer even throws in a bit of humor. I might even use it in a story time. But I couldn’t escape the feeling that the writer was following some kind of formula, deliberately throwing in vocabulary lessons, life lessons, and the standard “just use your imagination.” And, I completely ran aground from the initially exciting journey when, in the middle of the pirate adventure, Captain No Beard pulled out his dictionary and defined “Shiver Me Timbers.” It threw me right out of the imaginary world and into the real one. I would have preferred a glossary at the end of the book rather than an interruption right in the middle. Also, the constant refrain from Alexander (a.k.a. Captain No Beard) that “being a captain is hard work” sounded like a complaint rather than a useful observation. My overall experience with Captain No Beard was that its goal was to be educational more than entertaining. It makes a good beginning reader book, but not necessarily the best storybook. So, although, it will not go down as one of my personal favorites, I still see the value in it as a librarian and proponent of children’s literacy. If you have a beginning reader, especially an adventurous young boy, in your household, I recommend this book for reading practice. He will love saying “Argh” and “Shiver me Timbers”. Heck, even I loved that part! ( )
  TheLoopyLibrarian | Feb 1, 2013 |

1 avail.1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,457,651 books! | Top bar: Always visible