Stung by Bethany Wiggins

Authors:Bethany Wiggins
Info:Walker Childrens (2013), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:***1/2

Stung by Bethany Wiggins

A clever dystopian thriller, gripping and intense. ( )
  Sullywriter | May 22, 2015 |
Stung is an awesome book. Fiona the main character is a girl who has awoken to a world not like ours. The world is filled with beasts or people with the vaccine. The vaccine makes you a rampage killing and a mindless freak. If you have a mark on your hand that looks like a circle with legs you are a beast or had the vaccine. Fiona has the mark and she is the highest level. Fiona has no clue what is going on.

Fiona is awoken and wondering where she is. Eventually she gets caught by the militia. She meets Bowen. Bowen is her guardian. After a couple of days at the camp Bowen decides that Fiona is not safe there. Bowen takes her to a old factory where he store food and supplies in case he wanted to go rouge. The militia had tracked them down to the factory so they ran. After a night they find an old hotel. Bowen and Fiona are stating there until Bowen's brother gets there were a gang followed him. Bowen got shot by Fiona. His brother calls in the militia. Then they all go down an elevator shaft escaping the militia and the gang. Fiona gets caught by people. The people put her in a cage next to her brother. The next day a level 3 and a level 10 and her brother fight till the death. After the level 3 dies the level 10 dies. Bowen gets there and blows a hole through the ceiling. The doctors come people get medical help and the end.
  JJS.B3 | Jan 11, 2015 |
This sounds really good
  DaphneH | Dec 1, 2014 |
I had a really hard time getting into this one and I almost didn't read it. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't my thing. I didn't like the style of writing.

That said, I would give the story itself 3 stars. I thought it was ok, and would definitely work for someone who doesn't want to read a huge book. I thought the "romance" part was a little forced, and I had a hard time really wanting to like the characters. It was confusing right up until the end when all of her memories came back. It seemed rushed and didn't flow well for me.

Thanks to netgalley.com for allowing me access to the title. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
**This is gonna be spoilery. It cannot be helped. I will, however, tag any major spoilers.

This went from okay/decent to bad to fuckin awful. AWFUL. I can't believe how bad it was by the end.

At 97% - “Three minutes,” the doctor says over his shoulder, sounding just like a … doctor.

Yo, are you even trying anymore?!

Stung is a book with no pretenses. You’re thrust into a world you know nothing about with no explanations. I won’t lie, I was totally confused in the beginning. I knew the MC was in the dark as well, so I just settled in for the ride and stopped worrying about it. I’d get answers as the MC got answers. By about halfway, I realized that even though the MC was getting answers, I still had no frikkin clue what was going on. As a matter of fact, even after having finished, if you asked me to summarize what this book is about:

Bees? Pollen? Intense nonsensical teen luv?

Whatever.

The point is that this book is bad. So bad.

As I mentioned, Fiona (the MC) has no idea what’s happening. All she knows is that she’s woken up somewhere very strange, very dark, and very dangerous. The danger isn’t just to her. It turns out she’s a danger to everyone else, as well. She’s kept shackled and has a bunch of dudes pointing weapons at her and nearly killing her if she so much as sneezes. Sounds pretty good so far, no? Brace yourself.

Some shit happens and after a day of having held Fiona captive, the dude who was in charge of the Dudes With Weapons, Bowen, manages to whisk her away, because of course, there’s just something about Fiona that makes him see her differently than all the other dangerous “beasts”. They go somewhere and hideout for another day and then love. No, seriously. Love. She loves him. After two days, she literally says “I love you.” I shit you not. Sigh. That was the beginning of the end for me. At that point, the story stopped being a dark, dangerous mystery. It became a cheesy wuv story between two immature teens. I wasn’t able to take it seriously after that.

Worse than the insta-love was the sexism and portrayal of gender roles. OMG. Honestly, I couldn’t believe some of the shit I was reading. If this book is to be believed, when the apocalypse comes, all men will become raging, violent rapists that act like complete Neanderthals. The mere mention of a woman will send them into weird maniacal rages and have them whooping, growling, and hollering in anticipation of all the rapin’ that’s a’comin. Geez. Now, sure, there would be rapists after an apocalypse, but I’d like to give men slightly more credit than to think that they’d all go rapin’ mad.

Making this angle even worse, is a moment between Bowen and Fiona after she has finally changed outta stinky clothes and into a pink sundress (because that’s so practical during an apocalypse).

This heart-warming exchange happens:

”No,” he says. “You cannot wear that.”

I look down at the sundress. “What’s wrong with it?”

He drags a hand down his weary face. “You look like a… woman. It’s not safe.”

I think of the raiders and look back down at the dress. “When we leave, I’ll change,” I say. “But for now, it’s comfortable. I feel like the old me.”

Bowen presses his hands to his temples and looks back out the window. “Fo, you’re not safe from me… Fo, I’m a man and you’re a beautiful woman… When I look at you, especially when you’re dressed like this, I can’t think straight, because even though my brain tells me that you’re the most dangerous thing I’ve ever encountered, my heart… my body-“ His mouth snaps shut and he stares deep into my eyes.

That’s right. She should change out of the pink sundress, lest he rape her, because, surely, a man cannot possibly be expected to control his body around a beautiful woman. So, if you insist on wearing that godforsaken pink sundress, expect rape. She changes her clothes, btw. She changes into baggy clothes and apologizes. To him.

And:

The air smells like… women – hairspray, lotion, perfume, powder – and bleach.

Fuck is you talkin about?!

Unable to move, I stare up at the glass seal, at the crowd of people staring down at me and cheering for my death. At the women – gasping, disgusted, but not looking away. At the men - drooling for violence and blood.

Of course the delicate flowers are disgusted, but the strong men just drool for more death and destruction.

"Now I see why you're so attached to her, Bowen. You're gettin' sugar," Tommy says. (After seeing Bowen and Fiona kiss.)

Because Bowen couldn't possibly be attached to her for anything more than his gettin' some sugar. -_-

Ugh. Whatever with this garbage. Add to all of that how stupid Fiona is and how she's constantly making idiotic choices. She even manages to shoot an ally accidentally.. You get the gist.

Other than the beginning, which was confusing, but at least mysterious, there was nothing innovative or good about this book. It’s crap. Skip it.

For more of my reviews, visit my blog:

1 vote JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |

Fiona doesn't remember going to sleep. But when she opens her eyes, she discovers her entire world has been altered-her house is abandoned and broken, and the entire neighborhood is barren and dead. Even stranger is the tattoo on her right wrist-a black oval with five marks on either side-that she doesn't remember getting but somehow knows she must cover at any cost. And she's right. When the honeybee population collapsed, a worldwide pandemic occurred and the government tried to bio-engineer a cure. Only the solution was deadlier than the original problem-the vaccination turned people into ferocious, deadly beasts who were branded as a warning to un-vaccinated survivors. Key people needed to rebuild society are protected from disease and beasts inside a fortress-like wall. But Fiona has awakened branded, alone-and on the wrong side of the wall . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:41:54 -0400)

When a vaccine to save endangered bees causes their sting to turn children into ferocious killer beasts, the uninfected build a wall to keep the beasts out, but Fiona wakes up on the wrong side of the wall.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,282,845 books! | Top bar: Always visible