Stung by Bethany Wiggins

Authors:Bethany Wiggins
Info:Walker Childrens (2013), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:***1/2

Stung by Bethany Wiggins

I don't remember going to sleep. All I remember is waking up here -- a place as familiar as my own face.
At least, it should be.

Fiona wakes up in her bedroom, but nothing is as it should be. Her room is filthy and seems like it has been neglected for a very long time. As she walks around her house, she realizes it has been abandoned. Her reflection looks like her older sister, like a woman. Last thing she remembers, she is thirteen. She has no idea what is going on when suddenly she hears a noise and is attacked by a man acting like a beast. She barely escapes with her life. And all of this happens in Chapter 1.

We gradually learn that this world is barren & deserted and it is dangerous to be female. Fiona is constantly in danger and trying to figure out what happened to the world she remembers, what she needs to do to survive and who she can trust.

I don't want to give anything away. I went into this book not really knowing what it was about and it swept me off my feet page 1, Chapter 1. I loved Fiona and found her character very believable. The fecs and the beasts were scary and dangerous. The premise of the story seemed possible. I even believed the attraction Fiona developed for the boy trying to save her. And there is no love triangle, which is a relief.

I enjoyed this so much that I immediately stared reading the sequel. And I looked on the author's website to see if there would be any more, so I could know what I was getting myself into. Would I have to wait for book 3? Good news and Bad news. There are only two books in the series and the author isn't planning on writing more. This is good because I just finished the second book and loved it just as much. Bad because I really enjoyed reading them. But, it was a good place to end. The story was over. No need to push it too far. Not every story has to be a trilogy.

Recommended to:
Fans of dystopian stories, young adults and people (like me) who enjoy reading young adult novels. This one is worth reading.

Note: This book is on the Sunshine State Young Readers Award nominee list for grades 6-8. We often have some of that list in our elementary school for 5th graders. This one has some sexual innuendo. It might go over 5th graders heads, but I will recommend to our librarian not to have this one in the elementary school. ( )
  Jadedog13 | Feb 3, 2016 |
When a vaccine to save endangered bees causes their sting to turn children into ferocious killer beasts, the uninfected build a wall to keep the beasts out, but Fiona wakes up on the wrong side of the wall.
  lkmuir | Dec 8, 2015 |
I don't know if I liked this book because I was expecting utterly shit or if I liked it because it was good, but I found Stung an interesting read.
I had some major issues with certain facts, like the way rape is almost looked as sometime men do because it's necessary and that they are not to be held at fault for their actions because they just "need" it.
Even though a lot of reviews I read before reading the book said Fiona was and insufferable protagonist, I actually understood why she did so many stupid things. I mean, if I was 13 and suddenly woke up looking 17-20-ish, I wouldn't exactly act mature. And yes, when I was 13, most of the things I cared were boys, how I looked, and trying to not fail class, so I didn't expect Fiona to act like she knew everything. Also, keep in mind that not only is Fiona a 13-trapped-in-a-17-body, but she also doesn't remember much of what happened to the world, so she will act like nothing has changed (when you're used to something, you do that when scared, no?).
With that said, Fiona DID do things that were so stupid I wanted to hit her, but nothing that made me hate her.
The story was the most weak point, but I didn't particularly dislike it. I just feel like there was just so much more the author could do with both characters and story. ( )
  LiindaSnow97 | Jul 8, 2015 |
My 13 year old son recommend I read this. He said it was really good and sort of pushed it on me, so I read it. I was a little confused about what was going on, there is not really enough details or back ground to get the grasp of what is happening but I continued to read because I wanted to know what happened with the main characters and I wasn't disappointed with the ending it match where the story was going although I don't think I will continue the series...unless my son asks for it. ( )
  AliciaOverstreet | May 28, 2015 |
A clever dystopian thriller, gripping and intense. ( )
  Sullywriter | May 22, 2015 |

Fiona doesn't remember going to sleep. But when she opens her eyes, she discovers her entire world has been altered-her house is abandoned and broken, and the entire neighborhood is barren and dead. Even stranger is the tattoo on her right wrist-a black oval with five marks on either side-that she doesn't remember getting but somehow knows she must cover at any cost. And she's right. When the honeybee population collapsed, a worldwide pandemic occurred and the government tried to bio-engineer a cure. Only the solution was deadlier than the original problem-the vaccination turned people into ferocious, deadly beasts who were branded as a warning to un-vaccinated survivors. Key people needed to rebuild society are protected from disease and beasts inside a fortress-like wall. But Fiona has awakened branded, alone-and on the wrong side of the wall . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:07 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,916,264 books! | Top bar: Always visible